Samsung unveils new Galaxy Fold 4, Galaxy Flip 4 & More

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2022
Samsung on Wednesday announced the new Galaxy Z Fold 4 and Galaxy Z Flip 4 series, the latest additions to its lineup of foldable smartphones.

Samsung Galaxy Flip 4 & Fold 4
Samsung Galaxy Flip 4 & Fold 4

The South Korean smartphone maker debuted the new products at its Unpacked event on Aug. 10. Samsung's late summer event has, historically, focused on folding devices, and this event was no different.

Samsung's Galaxy Fold 4 is the next iteration of the company's foldable flagships, though it's definitely an iterative one. It keeps largely the same design as its predecessor, but includes an upgraded Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 Plus chipset.

Additionally, the Galaxy Fold also has a slimmer overall build with a redesigned hinge. It also packs an additional under-display camera on the outside to complement the camera when the device is unfolded.

Samsung also unveiled the Galaxy Flip 4, which also retains the same form factor as the previous generation. Like the Galaxy Fold 4, the Galaxy Flip 4 has a redesigned hinge and a thinner chassis, as well as a Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 Plus chip.

The most significant update across both lineups is price. The Galaxy Z Flip 4 costs $999 (get $100 in Samsung credit), while the Galaxy Fold 4 has a $1799.99 price tag (get $200 in Samsung credit).

Additionally, Samsung also unveiled new Galaxy Watch models. The Galaxy Watch 5 packs the latest WearOS software and improvements to battery life.

AppleInsider readers can get up to $125 in exclusive trade-in credit when you buy the Galaxy Watch 5 or Watch 5 Pro. Plus, snag a free Duo Charging Pad. You must use this activation link to take advantage of the deals.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Wooo, $1800! Personally, I don’t need to take out a second mortgage!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    Who the f needs this type of functionality?
    williamlondonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    thrang said:
    Who said it was functional?
    williamlondonjony0Bart Ypscooter63rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Looks crappy.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Samsung is Apple’s free test bed for future hardware updates.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    thrang said:
    Sales of these phones have ballooned and Samsung said at its earnings call that sales of its folding phones were projected to surpass those of Note phones. 

There is very much a market for them, even at crazy high prices with users prepared to sacrifice pure specs for the folding option. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I typically travel with an iPhone, a heavily profiled work iPhone, and an iPad (personal)  and my work dragonfly laptop. A foldable phone might get me to drop the iPad.  However, that does seem to be a bit thick for my pocket and would be even worse with two phones, all the time, not just when travelling.
    edited August 2022
  • Reply 8 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    JinTech said:
    thrang said:
    Who said it was functional?
    Yeah its more like a gimmick to me...no real actual value and many points of failure. I wonder how long before Samsung has to recall all of them back?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    avon b7 said:
    thrang said:
    Sales of these phones have ballooned and Samsung said at its earnings call that sales of its folding phones were projected to surpass those of Note phones. 

There is very much a market for them, even at crazy high prices with users prepared to sacrifice pure specs for the folding option. 

This is what everyone but Apple said about Netbooks too except for the high price and we see where that ended up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    macxpress said:
    avon b7 said:
    thrang said:

This is what everyone but Apple said about Netbooks too except for the high price and we see where that ended up.
    Netbooks sold by the bucket load and are a vital market segment.

Yes. Even now. The only difference is that the term isn't used so much nowadays. 

On top of that, the product matrix is wider now. 

If only Apple had offered a Netbooks itself. It came very close and even pushed netboot for a time but ultimately the true Apple Netbooks never materialised. 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    marc gmarc g Posts: 65member
    What I really want to know is why is there not 1 but 2 promotional “articles” on an apple centric website? I suppose I should just be happy you folks are continuing to use the app as opposed to forcing users to go to an ad laden website. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Do you have to swipe up to unlock the Fold?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Rather than dismissing the design of something like the Fold 4, assuming Apple would even consider doing something like this, I would have to test drive this type of device for a couple or few days to figure out whether its benefits to me are worth the added cost and obvious compromises. The Flip design is familiar, but a folding phone with interior and exterior screens and all that bulk is a whole new beast.
    muthuk_vanalingampscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Nice babysteps towards something new. Can't wait to see what other brands cook up.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    entropys said:
    I typically travel with an iPhone, a heavily profiled work iPhone, and an iPad (personal)  and my work dragonfly laptop. A foldable phone might get me to drop the iPad.  However, that does seem to be a bit thick for my pocket and would be even worse with two phones, all the time, not just when travelling.
    How well does your iPad fit in your pocket?