How Apple could approach a folding iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    thrang said:
    I don't understand the mass-market use case for a foldable phone. The way the vast majority of us utilize a phone - constantly referencing and glancing at it for dozens of tasks, from morning to night, who wants to constantly open and close it? What purpose does it serve? It will only be thicker to put in your pocket.

Perhaps there is some use case for the iPad, given its use is a bit more measured and purposeful, and perhaps it integrates a digital keyboard into the foldout. Still, I cannot envision it having very large interest.
    We’re men, pocket sounds fine. For a woman with a petite purse, a folding phone would be great, like a compact. So this might be too niche and why would a watch not serve better?

IMHO folding phones are too thick. A successful folding phone would be about as thick, folded, as an iPhone. That’s tough. 
    watto_cobraeriamjh
  • Reply 42 of 65
    thrang said:
    I don't understand the mass-market use case for a foldable phone. The way the vast majority of us utilize a phone - constantly referencing and glancing at it for dozens of tasks, from morning to night, who wants to constantly open and close it? What purpose does it serve? It will only be thicker to put in your pocket.

Perhaps there is some use case for the iPad, given its use is a bit more measured and purposeful, and perhaps it integrates a digital keyboard into the foldout. Still, I cannot envision it having very large interest.
    This is exactly why I think the foldable phone is a non-starter for the vast majority of users. Open up your Screen Time and look at the number of pickups, it’s probably going to be a lot more than you realize. Now imagine having to unfold your phone that many times per day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    Many of the first foldable devices were plagued by reliability issues"

I'm unaware of any foldable phone being plagued with reliability issues. Quite the opposite is true.

AFAIK, all folding phones that have come to market have had great reliability so far. 

For the Samsung Fold, many review units were damaged by reviewers trying to remove a screen coating that should not have been removed.

Once that was corrected, along with some further design enhancements, the units that were released performed well.

That’s not true, and you know it.
    AFAIK, it's absolutely true.

I have been following the folding phone market for three years now.

Reliability was a logical potential weak point in real world usage. If that had been an issue, the internet and every tech site would have been all over it - just like it was with the Samsung review unit fiasco.

If what I said were not true, the internet would have continued to blaze a trail of news on how bad folding phones were in reliability terms. That literally never happened.

No model has been plagued with reliability issues. 

You don't have to take Samsung's word on sales numbers. Industry watchers have also pointed out the huge success of folding phones even while still being an expensive niche product. 

More and more companies are bringing folding phones to market with Honor and OPPO in particular drawing high praise for their takes on the idea. 

It seems clear that folding (and probably scrolling) phones are here to stay and will take up more market share as prices come down. 
    The phones have been getting better, I.e. - more useful, and more reliable. But the first generation were pretty terrible on all fronts. Samsung’s hinge failed pretty rapidly from dirt. The second generation hinge was better, but still had problems. The third gen hinges are, as far as I know, fine. But yes, there were problems with the screens other than the peeling off of the non-removable layer, which was Samsung’s fault, because they didn’t say it was permanent.

there is no huge success if these phones. All of that is from manufacturers data.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 65
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    Spitbath said:
    tundraboy said:
    I'd much prefer they apply flexible screen technology on large flat screen TVs so you can fold or roll those monstrosities and hide them when they're not in use.
    This already exists.
    5K capability or above at reasonable price? Think of the criticism Apple when thru for 1500 and 5000 dollar monitors.

A new type of single data cord at 8k? For Apple a two cord design probably won’t work.

Think of the iMac you could build with that screen?

All I want is a XDR 32” iMac.
    edited August 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 65
    ricmac said:
    " paint a picture of Apple deeply in the throws of development."

THROWS of development??  My best guess is that you were trying to use the word "throes."  But even there, I'm not sure that's an appropriate use of the word.  Good lord, discover the Thesaurus!
    Well, we can give the author the benefit of the doubt (attributing it to auto-correct or fatigue) but using a relatively arcane word with which he's unfamiliar, in an attempt to impress the readership, is otherwise inexcusable. Now I have "throws of passion" on my mind, picturing a pro wrestling match between two aroused foes. 🤦‍♂️
  • Reply 46 of 65
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    Spitbath said:
    tundraboy said:
    I'd much prefer they apply flexible screen technology on large flat screen TVs so you can fold or roll those monstrosities and hide them when they're not in use.
    This already exists.
    Yes, LG makes and sells a 4k UHD rollable TV (65 inches).  I was interested until they announced the price: about $100,000 and it is currently out of stock. See https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65r1pua-signature-oled-4k-tv?nis=8 for details.
    zeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 65
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:

I'm unaware of any foldable phone being plagued with reliability issues. Quite the opposite is true.

AFAIK, all folding phones that have come to market have had great reliability so far. 

For the Samsung Fold, many review units were damaged by reviewers trying to remove a screen coating that should not have been removed.

Once that was corrected, along with some further design enhancements, the units that were released performed well.

Reliability was a logical potential weak point in real world usage. If that had been an issue, the internet and every tech site would have been all over it - just like it was with the Samsung review unit fiasco.

If what I said were not true, the internet would have continued to blaze a trail of news on how bad folding phones were in reliability terms. That literally never happened.

You don't have to take Samsung's word on sales numbers. Industry watchers have also pointed out the huge success of folding phones even while still being an expensive niche product. 

More and more companies are bringing folding phones to market with Honor and OPPO in particular drawing high praise for their takes on the idea. 

It seems clear that folding (and probably scrolling) phones are here to stay and will take up more market share as prices come down. 
    The phones have been getting better, I.e. - more useful, and more reliable. But the first generation were pretty terrible on all fronts. Samsung’s hinge failed pretty rapidly from dirt. The second generation hinge was better, but still had problems. The third gen hinges are, as far as I know, fine. But yes, there were problems with the screens other than the peeling off of the non-removable layer, which was Samsung’s fault, because they didn’t say it was permanent.

there is no huge success if these phones. All of that is from manufacturers data.
    Links to support those claims?

I have seen zero pushback (in general terms) from first generation users.

Lots of pre-release doom and gloom from Apple users here (not helped by Samsung goofing the review units) that never actually materialised in the real world release.

As first generation products, both Huawei and Samsung hit the ground running. 
  • Reply 48 of 65
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    chadbag said:
    Marvin said:
    red oak said:
    There is almost zero evidence any of these foldable phones (including the ones from Samsung) sell in any measurable volume
    According to Samsung, the volume of foldable phones was 10 million in 2021:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/20/23272029/samsung-tm-roh-foldable-phones-mainstream

The following says the Galaxy Z Flip made up 4.6 million:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/galaxy-z-flip-3-5g-most-shipped-foldable-2021_id139154

The Z Fold and Huawei P50 were the next best sellers. Likely somewhere around 2 million each.

Most of the foldables are for the compact phone like the old Razr phones and not like the foldable tablets. There are probably some of the over 100 million people who bought the old style flip phones and liked the form factor.

This is a lower sales volume than the iPhone mini. If Apple wanted to cater to the audience for compact phones, they could just keep making the iPhone mini series.

Bending any glass means making it weaker and it will crease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1j8J1FDJOw
    How do these same number compare to the Samsung  S series?
    10 million is a small amount in the overall smartphone market, that's not just Samsung's foldables but the whole market and as others pointed out, that might be exaggerated. Samsung's foldables would be around 8 million by that estimate, possibly lower. Samsung sold 300 million smartphones in 2021:

https://www.gizmochina.com/2022/01/14/samsung-produced-around-300-million-smartphones-in-2021-aims-for-334-million-in-2022/

Overall market is around 1.4 billion smartphones. Apple sells around 200-250 million.

8 million is 2% of Samsung's sales and 0.5% of global smartphone sales for foldables. That means for roughly every 200 customers buying a smartphone, 1 buys a foldable.

I think AR glasses will have better adoption than foldables as you can have a compact phone + compact glasses and you get a bigger display than any tablet plus fully 3D.
    dewmeBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Do do it Apple. Our phones have become expensive liabilities. I work in extremely harsh environmental conditions and not destroying  my phone is a constant worry. I will never by a folding phone.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:

Lots of pre-release doom and gloom from Apple users here (not helped by Samsung goofing the review units) that never actually materialised in the real world release.

There are lots of links. I’ll just give one, as it’s basically giving some of the well known flaws. You can find plenty of others that go more into the problems, if you really want to know them. But you should, as you say you follow the closely.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-fold-review-device-that-piqued-our-interest-in-a-foldable-phone-future-review/
    Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 65
    Nobody (outside of very few) wants a folding iPhone. It’s a niche concept. Nobody needs a folding iPhone. 

An iPhone, iPad combo is better solution, removes caveats, provides the user with rock solid reliable devices that are the best in class - and it costs the same as a folding phone. 

It really just doesn’t amount to much. I mean it’s cool to see once or twice. Outside of that, it just doesn’t accomplish anything. 

The galaxy fold is just kind of sad and is a downgrade from tablet plus phone, while costing the same. 

If you go the Microsoft route, it’s not really a foldable, more of a dual screen setup, minus bezels. 

Cool in concept, gimmicky in reality. 

I completely disagree.  I absolutely WANT a folding phone.  I don't, however, want a bigger phone.  I want my iPhone SE to fold in half so it fits better in my pocket, and doesn't feel like it will break in half if I sit on it wrong.

Of all the phones I've ever used, the one that was the absolute most ideal size was the Motorola Razr V3.  The new folding RAZR while slightly wider has very similar portability dimensions.

Now, if Apple could create something on THAT line, It's something I'd definitely jump on board with. I don't really care much about the 23 cameras, or having a phone as big as my TV in my living room.  I want something small that I can tuck in my pocket and forget about until I need it.  If I can flip it open like I did back in the good old days of the razr, do what I need, then flip it shut and put it back in my pocket, I'd be a happy camper.

And yeah, if I do need something bigger, then the iPad or MacBook is the next step. But in my pocket, I want something SMALL.
    dewme
  • Reply 52 of 65
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The market for these is couch cushion money.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 65
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:

There are lots of links. I’ll just give one, as it’s basically giving some of the well known flaws. You can find plenty of others that go more into the problems, if you really want to know them. But you should, as you say you follow the closely.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-fold-review-device-that-piqued-our-interest-in-a-foldable-phone-future-review/
    There is literally nothing in that article that says the Fold was plagued by issues.

The overall score is 7.4.

The issues they mention (if you actually click through) refer to the infamous review models and they say theirs had no problems. 
    edited August 2022
  • Reply 54 of 65
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:

Why do you waste time responding to this POS liar/troll? History has proven that’s all soap-on-a-rope knows how to do. I blocked him, but when people continue to quote him I still see their BS show up.

The best way to deal with liars is block/mute them. They want an audience. They want to argue with people and make them waste their time. If nobody ever responds to them they lose interest as that’s their only purpose in life. Let their garbage posts wither and die.
    edited August 2022 Spitbathwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 55 of 65
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    DAalseth said:
    I really think Apple needs to go in a completely different direction. Rather than a sharp fold, and the resultant point of failure, how about a rolling phone? A 2-3 cm tube that snapped out flat to use. That way the stress is all across the screen so no single line will get creased, distort, or otherwise be more prone to failure. Sure they would need to figure out batteries and the circuit board, but it’s to my mind, a much more elegant solution than a crease.
    I think Apple will go in a completely different direction with this if they even decide to bring any kind of folding phone to market in the first place. I bet Apple knows the weak point in all of these folding phones is the center crease where it folds and are working to resolve that, even if it means waiting for the proper technology to come out. This is why I think it's great that Apple never rushes to get something out first just to say we did it first. They'd rather wait and get it done right. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 65
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 240member
    Up until last summer my flip phone folded in half. 
  • Reply 57 of 65
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:

Why do you waste time responding to this POS liar/troll? History has proven that’s all soap-on-a-rope knows how to do. I blocked him, but when people continue to quote him I still see their BS show up.

The best way to deal with liars is block/mute them. They want an audience. They want to argue with people and make them waste their time. If nobody ever responds to them they lose interest as that’s their only purpose in life. Let their garbage posts wither and die.
    Just don't read. Is that really too much to ask of you? 

Are you incapable of that? Just let go. 

Have you seen anything at all that even suggests what I said is untrue? 

Liar? 

Well, at least you didn't capitalise it. 

No. 

Look, it's easy. I spelt it out. 

Just like with the Note 7 battery issue, if folding phones had been plagued by issues, it would have been all over the internet.

Literally, Samsung et al would have been in the line of fire and made a laughing stock. 

Have you seen anything resembling that? 

No you haven't. Post links of you have. That is all I asked. Is that asking too much? 

No mainstream folding phone has been plagued with issues. Live with it. 

Are they more delicate? Yes. 
    Do you need to be more careful? Yes. 
    Did Samsung totally screw up on the review units? Yes. 

But think about it. Flagship phones moved from plastic/glass combos to all glass sandwiches. Equally delicate. In fact, the world has a fair few millions of users who still use their phones with cracked (or totally shattered) screens. Yeah. That is delicate but it does not mean there are issues. 

Folding phones, especially in terms of hinge performance, have totally met expectations. 

They are selling in the millions even at astronomical prices. As prices come down they will continue to see increased sales. 

Like I said, my brother's entire family has Samsung Flip phones. No external displays on them so they have to open them. Will they buy into folding phones next time around? 

Definitely. I asked them specifically last week. They are delighted. 

Maybe that isn't representative but it's real. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 58 of 65
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:

There is literally nothing in that article that says the Fold was plagued by issues.

The issues they mention (if you actually click through) refer to the infamous review models and they say theirs had no problems. 
    So you lack reading comprehension as well now.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:

So you lack reading comprehension as well now.
    Really?  Did you even read it yourself?

If you did, then read it again. There is nothing in that piece that supports your claim. 

The reviewer thinks the screen is too fragile. One reviewer. One opinion. And that opinion does not hold up to much scrutiny as she gave the phone a 7.4 and it performed perfectly for her. No breakage. It worked as designed. Just like the vast majority have. 

If you are trying to equate that with 'plagued' with issues you should try to find something that really supports the claim. 

• Reply 60 of 65
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    y2an said:
    IMHO folding phones are too thick. A successful folding phone would be about as thick, folded, as an iPhone. That’s tough. 
    I think this sums it up.  Too thick.  Whether it’s current iPhone plus size folds in half the short way or double the size and folds in half the long way.   

It’s just too thick.   

I think we’re more likely to see a folding iPad than a folded phone.   
    edited August 2022