PPC 970 date?

Comments

• Reply 321 of 344
    ... anybody know what Macbidouille means?
  • Reply 322 of 344
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OverToasty

... anybody know what Macbidouille means?

mac-do-it-yourselfing

Obviously translated with babel fish.
  • Reply 323 of 344
    Oh sure, Apple's going to fall all over itself to associate itself with the Space Shuttle....

Gotta love babelfish though. My page showed unrendered "bulldozer" tags at the bottom of the page! French HTML sure is funky!
  • Reply 324 of 344
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

The 970 chip is, apparently, viewed as just a transitional chip.

All chips are transitional. The 970 is no more so than the Pentium2 was. There have been no formal announcements of the 980, but there has been that the 970 will migrate to 0.09 micron and become the 970+ next year so I think your timeline for the 980 is too aggressive. The POWER5 will just be hitting the market early next year so I don't expect to see a PowerPC version of that for another year after that. The 970 has legs, however, so I don't think this is a bad thing.
  • Reply 325 of 344
    It would be nice if the 970 could breach the 2 gig barrier.

Dual 2 gigs. Sounds good to me. And surely not out of the realms of possibility.

Mach 64.

Well, I could go for that. Will that be the name of the Tower or merely a campaign to signify speed in the ads?

And with a .09 970 to come, the future for the towers looks good.

If the towers are now, just about, in production, an end of July WWDC release might be possibly? Shipping slightly later?

It seems like we're on the home straight of the G4 debacle. With rumours of what the tower case is supposed to look like now starting to leak out via macwhispers...it surely can't be that long now?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 326 of 344
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Steve Racer and His Mach 5!!
  • Reply 327 of 344
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    MacBidouille translation

The architecture of the PPC 970 64 bit motherboards should be getting a "Mach 64" trademark. The official logo will depict an apple with an orbiting space shuttle. The commercial slogan will be "With Mach 64 Technology". The older ones amongst us will remember that Mach 64 was the code name of the ATI Rage Pro chip.

Getting back to the PPC 970, the machines' frequency at the high end is not yet known. It will be on May 15. Predictions remain optimistic though with at least 2Ghz.
  • Reply 328 of 344
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by *l++

MacBidouille translation

The architecture of the PPC 970 64 bit motherboards should be getting a "Mach 64" trademark.

Clever. The pro board that was to accompany the G3-based Gossamer was codenamed Mach 5. The 64 bit motherboard will require a 64 bit version of the Mach kernel fused to Darwin.

And, of course, Mach 64 is unbelievably fast.
  • Reply 329 of 344
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Yeah, but its not trans light speed. Remember the marketing hype about before the light from the screen reaches your eyes, FTL, brouhaha?

Heh.
  • Reply 330 of 344
    No way on God's green earth will an image of the space shuttle ever be in an Apple logo. Not gonna happen.

Mach 64 sounds like a codename to me.
  • Reply 331 of 344
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Not exactly an Apple logo, but an Apple mother board technology logo
  • Reply 332 of 344
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

All chips are transitional. The 970 is no more so than the Pentium2 was. There have been no formal announcements of the 980, but there has been that the 970 will migrate to 0.09 micron and become the 970+ next year so I think your timeline for the 980 is too aggressive. The POWER5 will just be hitting the market early next year so I don't expect to see a PowerPC version of that for another year after that. The 970 has legs, however, so I don't think this is a bad thing.

Programmer,

Yep, all chips are transitional, but IBM apparently intends this one to be more so than usual.

There was an IBM document on the web at one point which has apparently been removed which showed the 980 for 2H of 04 (whether that was realisitic or not is anyone's guess). The gist of the timeline was that IBM would be changing process and that their plan was to move to the Power 5 and 980 when they changed process. IBM apparently has big plans for the Power 5 and 980 and they want to get it in production ASAP. This is not an Apple driven thing. I do not see the 970 as having "legs" as you put it, simply because the plan is to replace it with something better/faster/cheaper. Does the 9xx have legs? I certainly would expect that it will. IBM intends that it will.

The plan to shift to the Power 5 and 980 when they are going through the rework for the process change seems logical. Will IBM be able to accomplish it? We shall see. Even they have experienced some problems of late in getting all of their new technology to work right. Would it be nice if they were able to pull it off? Yea, it sure would.8)
  • Reply 333 of 344
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by *l++

MacBidouille translation

The architecture of the PPC 970 64 bit motherboards should be getting a "Mach 64" trademark. The official logo will depict an apple with an orbiting space shuttle. The commercial slogan will be "With Mach 64 Technology". The older ones amongst us will remember that Mach 64 was the code name of the ATI Rage Pro chip.

Getting back to the PPC 970, the machines' frequency at the high end is not yet known. It will be on May 15. Predictions remain optimistic though with at least 2Ghz.

Brings back memories of rumours associated with Apple and a satellite system of some sort. That was ~2-years ??¿¿ ago.
  • Reply 334 of 344
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

No way on God's green earth will an image of the space shuttle ever be in an Apple logo. Not gonna happen.

Mach 64 sounds like a codename to me.

All things considered, I couldn't agree more ... the associations with crashing and burning aren't exactly "on message" ...

No offense, I love space flight and all that, and if somebody offered me a chance to go into orbit on the shuttle, hey, I'm there ... but sorry, the shuttle's cachet has been somewhat diminished of late.

Which makes me wonder if Macbidoulle's 'source' isn't just playing with it to make it look foolish ...
  • Reply 335 of 344
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    probably just the internal code name and logo the team uses.

like clarus the dogocow.
  • Reply 336 of 344
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

There were some comments about 970 and 0.90 nm process. The IBM plans that have been on the web do not show any such combination. IBM plans to go to the 980 as soon as possible next year. Initially the 980 will be in the 0.130 nm process and then go to a 0.90 nm process.

A Pet Peeve(TM):

Please watch your units and terminology. I (and most others) know what you mean, but we shouldn't be required to translate.

0.130 nm is the size of a single atom. Fab sizes are nowhere near that good yet. I believe you mean 0.130 µm, or 130 nm.

You've made two mistakes with 0.90 nm. Again, nm is absurdly small, so you must mean µm. But then, the process size is not 0.90 µm, but 0.090 µm or 90 nm.

Not meaning to pick on you specifically, since there are a number of folks who are playing fast and loose with their units and numbers in these matters. When I see obvious mistakes like this (or spelling and grammatical errors), it tends to lower the poster's credibility with me rather significantly. When I read a post and encounter errors like these, I am forced to assume the author has made a mistake. It causes me to wonder what other mistakes have been made, perhaps not so obvious.

I know it is impossible to catch all mistakes. I make plenty myself. Proofreading and editing go a long way toward maintaining credibility around here, though.
  • Reply 337 of 344
    herbivoreherbivore Posts: 132member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

IBM apparently has big plans for the Power 5 and 980 and they want to get it in production ASAP.

An aggressive plan by IBM to migrate to the Power 5 would make sense. It would put the heat on Intel's Itanium and likely spell the end of AMD's Opteron.

Still, it would seem that the simultaneous release of the Power 5 and 980 is a little too aggressive.

I think we will be waiting a bit for the 980, not that the 970 is any slouch.

It will be interesting, however, to see whether the 970 will make it to 90 nm before the release of the 980.
  • Reply 338 of 344
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    You scientists!!! You really need to make your minds up.

Source: http://rel.intersil.com/docs/lexicon-old/M.html

micron

Older term for micrometer. A metric unit of linear measure which equals one millionth of a meter. Symbol: m

Source: http://rel.intersil.com/docs/lexicon/M.html

micron

Older term for micrometer. A metric unit of linear measure which equals one millionth of a meter. Symbol: µm

So, is it 0.13m and 0.09m or 0.13µm and 0.09µm ???

Maybe we can get Matsu to start a poll. I'll vote for 130nm and 90nm since it is actually a wavelength we are talking about !
  • Reply 339 of 344
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Power5 is not really Opteron competition. The PowerPC 970/980 however, is. Can't we just, er, wait until we have a machine with a PowerPC 970 inside before going into the future of the future? Remember where all the G5 PPC 8500 talk got us? Right. Nowhere. We're using G3s and G4s nowadays.
  • Reply 340 of 344
    jrgjrg Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Clever. The pro board that was to accompany the G3-based Gossamer was codenamed Mach 5. The 64 bit motherboard will require a 64 bit version of the Mach kernel fused to Darwin.

I thought Mach 5 was previously the 300MHz and greater 604e that IBM produced just before the G3?