Telegram CEO claims Apple is delaying update that will 'revolutionize' messaging

Posted:
in General Discussion
Telegram CEO Pavel Durov claims that Apple has been delaying an App Store update to the app that will "revolutionize how people express themselves in messaging."

Telegram app
Telegram app

In a Telegram message on Thursday, Durov says that the upcoming update has been stuck in Apple's review process for two weeks with no explanation from the iPhone maker about the holdup.

"If Telegram, one of the top 10 most popular apps globally, is receiving this treatment, one can only imagine the difficulties experienced by smaller app developers," Durov wrote.

The Telegram chief executive also hit Apple and Google for charging a 30% commission on app and in-app purchases. Durov says the app review delay is just another harm on the commission, which he likens to a "tax."

"The regulators in the EU and elsewhere are slowly starting to look into these abusive practices," he said. "But the economic damage that has already been inflicted by Apple on the tech industry won't be undone."

This isn't the first time that a Telegram update has been stuck in Apple's app review process. Back in 2018, Apple delayed global updates after Russian authorities demanded the Cupertino tech giant remove the secure messaging app from the App Store.

Other app developers and executives have complained about Apple's App Review process in the past. In 2021, Hopscotch CEO Samantha John called Apple's review process "Kafkaesque."

Apple has made moves to amend its App Store policies in recent years, including updated App Review processes and rules and the introduction of a lower 15% commission for apps making less than $1 million.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    There likely is a red flag or concern on Apple’s part on what is in the code,  or lack of transference what data is being collected 

He should be more thankful Apple’s built a platform allowing him to reach 1.2 billion people.   Apple only charges 15% for subs 1 year+ 
    JP234twokatmewAlex_Vtdknoxmac_dogwilliamlondonj2fusionjas99hlee1169lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Steve Jobs at D8 in 2010:
    What happens sometimes though is that some people lie. Some people use unpublished APIs and their app gets rejected. Some people submit an app that they say does one thing, but really does something else. They try to hide it from us, they get very clever about that. They try to hide it from us and we find it and we reject it. And they run to the press and tell a story about oppression and it gets written up and they get their 15 minutes of fame because they hope it will convince us to change our minds. It never does, but they keep trying to do that. And it’s unfortunate, but we take it in the chin. That part of what we do. We don’t run to the press and go, “This guys a son of a bitch liar.” That’s just not appropriate for us to do. So we take it in the chin and we move on.

mike1JP234winstoner71twokatmewAlex_Vlkruppforegoneconclusiontdknoxkurai_kagebyronl
  • Reply 3 of 32
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Complaining about 2 weeks? LMAO.
    JP234twokatmewbyronlmac_dogwilliamlondonjony0jas99lolliverbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    And what is this magically revolutionary update anyway? 
    jas99lolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    These app developers are right. As a game developer who created over 20 games on the app store (often tied to theatrical releases) I can only applaud these developers protesting. It's time this gets addressed. Apple's become a shit company with good hardware.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 32
    JP234 said:
    Sounds like Telegram wants Apple to post its app on the store immediately without due diligence. Apple says, "hard pass."

I'm with Apple. I want anything I might download on the App Store to have gone through the entire process of review and approval/rework/denial. Who knows in advance what malicious code or unauthorized API the developer might put in that app? This is how domestic and foreign actors gain access to your data for sale. And how they get into businesses and hold their systems for ransom.
    Yeah, let's be with the multi-trillion dollar tech giant without questioning them!
    lkruppwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 32
    These app developers are right. As a game developer who created over 20 games on the app store (often tied to theatrical releases) I can only applaud these developers protesting. It's time this gets addressed. Apple's become a shit company with good hardware.
    Another whinging developer. Set up your own phone company and App Store. Game developers do not add anything much to the benefit of the world. Get a proper job.
    mwhiteSoCal4metdknoxigorskymac_dogwilliamlondonJapheyjony0danoxJaiOh81
  • Reply 8 of 32
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    The revolution can wait.
    mwhitejas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    JP234 said:
    Sounds like Telegram wants Apple to post its app on the store immediately without due diligence. Apple says, "hard pass."

I'm with Apple. I want anything I might download on the App Store to have gone through the entire process of review and approval/rework/denial. Who knows in advance what malicious code or unauthorized API the developer might put in that app? This is how domestic and foreign actors gain access to your data for sale. And how they get into businesses and hold their systems for ransom.
    Yeah, let's be with the multi-trillion dollar tech giant without questioning them!

More like BrainFreeze...
    williamlondonjony0lolliverStrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 10 of 32
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    peterhart said:
    And what is this magically revolutionary update anyway? 
    If he told us it wouldn’t create nearly as much free, sensational publicity for the app. 
    igorskymac_dogwilliamlondonjony0JaiOh81jas99lolliverStrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    You say you want a revolution

Well you know

It takes more than two weeks

to change the world...
    igorskymac_dogjony0SoCal4mejas99baconstangMBearwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    So you don’t want to pay your fair share to access the largest market that Apple has paid to create?  

If you don’t like the iOS conditions, put your games elsewhere.  

While I’ve not had 20 games, I’ve had it have apps I’ve worked on in the App Store and am slowly working on another personal effort for the App Store.  I applaud what Apple has done and how it runs it and have no problem with what they charge for access.  The tools and store alone are worth paying the fee 

a lot better than when I started and you had to get stores to put your ziplock bagged diskette on their shelf or get people to mail you a check. 
    jony0SoCal4meJaiOh81jas99hlee1169lolliverStrangeDaysdewmetmayNoFliesOnMe
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Yet another entitled developer. 
    jony0SoCal4mejas99lolliverStrangeDaystmaywatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Even though their base and operational centers are outside of Russia, given the current world affairs, the place of origin, Russia, of the main founders of Telegram might be a cause for Apple to take a deeper dive into the app. 
    jony0danoxjas99StrangeDaysbaconstangtmaywatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 15 of 32
    I have been an Apple user beginning with the Apple /// computer. I will be a supporter until they really go bad for the consumer. Faceplant and all those other large companies made their money by selling the consumer data & profile. Until Apple starts doing that I will remain in their corner. Not the App developer whose app I have happily lived without for many years already and think that because Android embraced their junk Apple should also.

Telegram has been around for almost 10 years and have also managed to live without the Apple App store for a long time already, and now it's suddenly in a rush to get approved. Get outta here. Small, medium or large, everybody gets the condom treatment. If it's too hard stay with Android, after all, we all know that there are so many more Android phones in the world! Oh yeah...most of them barely have enough money to buy the phone, and we know why companies that give away things thrive...they don't make their money from consumer purchases, they make it from selling consumer data. But gee, no one would ever actually LIE to get in the App Store...would they.

Small,CheeseFreeze said:

jony0danoxjas99lolliverStrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Hedware said:
    Another whinging developer. Set up your own phone company and App Store. Game developers do not add anything much to the benefit of the world. Get a proper job.
    People act as if Apple's ecosystem is some kind of natural resource like water that just "exists" and should be available for free to all, rather than the result of years of deliberate planning, design, and hard work by thousands of people costing billions of dollars.
    SoCal4memwhitedanoxjas99hlee1169lolliverStrangeDaysbaconstangbeowulfschmidtNoFliesOnMe
  • Reply 17 of 32
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    When Russia quits the Ukraine Apple can approve Telegram…..
    edited August 2022 jas99
  • Reply 18 of 32
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I would be a lot more interested in his case if he explained what this magnificent new feature actually does and how it does it, rather than reflexly taking his side.  As there was absolutely no information of importance that may clarify things  (eg. API etc) I will take their complaint with a grain of salt.

Of course, being as Telegram is a bit anti establishment, it is always possible Apple is dragging the chain. It is a long time since the pirate flag flew over 1 infinite loop.
    edited August 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 533member
    They probably long for the good old days, when just anyone could try to get Best Buy to put their app on the shelf for 60-70% of retail. Oh, and by the way, would you like to pay for better placement? Maybe even upgrade to an end-cap?
    lolliverbaconstangmwhitebeowulfschmidtJinTechwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 20 of 32
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    danox said:
    When Russia quits the Ukraine Apple can approve Telegram…..

StrangeDayscrowleyspheric