Apple TV+ dramedy 'Physical' picked up for third season

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ has announced a season three renewal for "Physical," with Rose Byrne returning as the entrepreneurial Sheila Rubin on a journey of self-discovery via aerobics.

physical

"Physical" debuted its first season in June 2021, with Apple picking up the series for a second season in August 2021.

The second season premiered in June 2022, and focuses on Sheila Ruben competing against other fitness moguls.

"I am thrilled for the opportunity to continue telling Sheila's story in creative collaboration with Rose Byrne and the rest of our incredible cast, writers and crew," said Annie Weisman, creator and showrunner.

"The feedback we've received from audiences who continue to discover and feel seen by "Physical" is the most deeply gratifying experience of my career and I'm so grateful to our team at Apple and Tomorrow Studios for making this dream a reality."

Apple has also renewed sci-fi hit "For All Mankind" for a fourth season, and workplace comedy "Loot" for a second season.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I wasn't so thrilled with this series.  Watched season 1 and a few eposides of season 2 but nothing drew us back to it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Haven't heard the term "dramedy" since at least the 90s.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    I didn't really like the first season but I gave it another shot for season 2 and found it better.  It's def not the best on AppleTV+ but it's not terrible.

Loot is near unwatchable though.  No idea how that got picked up for another season.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I wasn't so thrilled with this series.  Watched season 1 and a few eposides of season 2 but nothing drew us back to it.
    It had potential with the theme and some of the cast but it seemed like very little happened story-wise in each episode. The synopsis for the season and per episode is very short and mundane:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11828492/plotsummary

The big TV shows like Friends had loads of interesting events happen in each episode and they only had a 22 minute runtime:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friends#Season_1

It feels like a lot of TV series now try to drag out very thin material to as long a runtime as possible. They should be able to measure this objectively and use it as a metric when producing the episodes. Measure the meaningful plot points in the story, how impactful they are and how often they happen during the runtime. Eventful (frequency) and impactful stories are going to be more interesting to watch. Some slow burner shows can do ok but it's best to aim for interesting episodes.
    edited August 2022 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I liked it but my wife didn’t (because of the subject matter). I like how they’ve developed her husbands character and show the craziness of the early aerobics industry. Looking forward to season 3. 
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Marvin said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    It had potential with the theme and some of the cast but it seemed like very little happened story-wise in each episode. The synopsis for the season and per episode is very short and mundane:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11828492/plotsummary

The big TV shows like Friends had loads of interesting events happen in each episode and they only had a 22 minute runtime:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friends#Season_1

It feels like a lot of TV series now try to drag out very thin material to as long a runtime as possible. They should be able to measure this objectively and use it as a metric when producing the episodes. Measure the meaningful plot points in the story, how impactful they are and how often they happen during the runtime. Eventful (frequency) and impactful stories are going to be more interesting to watch. Some slow burner shows can do ok but it's best to aim for interesting episodes.
    I particularly found the constant use of 1st person commentary/verbal thoughts boring.  It was just a bit too much.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    We enjoy it. Good satire is fun, love the internal debate/doubt vs what we show to the world. 

Tho I agree with Marvin that with so many streaming shows the pace is really slow seemingly to stretch the content out. From Servant to Obi Wan. 
    edited August 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    The pacing of a show is part of its tone and I like that there is enough experimentation going on in TV that directors can try different styles and find a big enough audience to make it worthwhile.

Was 2001 too slow and uneventful? Is Better Call Saul? Objectively, not that much is happening a lot of the time - but the impact is still profound.
    pumpkin_kinglolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Physical is fantastic. It's dark, the characters are all faulty. The bits of comedy that sneak in are fun. 30 minute episodes are perfect for it.

Glad to see it's coming back!

pumpkin_kinglolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    Brilliant show!  The internal conflict that Rose Byrne portrays is outstandingly well done.  It all adds incredible depth to her character as she ducks and weeavs through those around her, profoundly self centred husband, clingy 'best' friend, mentally challenged male aerobics 'guru', bitter young co-instructor and her stoner boyfriend, and the frustrated Mormon that she absolutely hates but desperately needs for great sex, and now for vengeful business counsel.

At the end of all this, Sheila is probably the most well balance of the whole circus despite her profound internal conflicts.
    lolliverwatto_cobranoelos
  • Reply 11 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I just couldn't get interested in the show. Pacing is important but so is interesting content. Several British shows I watch are something of a 'slow boil' but content is interesting enough that it balances the pace. A good balancing act is crucial. For me Physical didn't cut it. But it's got a third season so there are fans who'll be happy. Nothing wrong with that.
    watto_cobra