Apple TV+ plans documentary about comedy star Steve Martin

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The writer, comedian, actor, and banjo player Steve Martin is to be the subject of a new two-part Apple TV+ documentary, now in production.

Steve Martin (source: Wiki Commons)
Steve Martin (source: Wiki Commons)

Few details are yet known about the currently untitled documentary, but The Hollywood Reporter confirms that it is being made by Oscar-winning documentary maker, Morgan Neville.

Martin himself told the publication that "it's somebody else's take" on his life. "They found a photo of my father in 1944 in Germany, touring 'Our Town' with the USO."

Steve Martin, 76, first became known for hosting "SNL," but his comedy career has ranged from standup to major motion pictures, plus he's written novels, and stage shows.

His current hit, the comedy mystery series "Only Murders in the Building," which is about to conclude its acclaimed second run on Hulu, was based on his idea. As producer, actor, and writer, Martin is currently nominated for three Emmy awards for the show, and a third season has been commissioned.

No streaming date has been revealed for the new documentary, but it is being made by A24, the production company behind "Everything Everywhere All At Once."

Separately, a draft of the "Only Murders in the Building" pilot script is now available online. In this early version by Steve Martin and John Hoffman, the murder weapon was explicitly intended to be an Apple Pencil.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    I love Steve Martin. This may be the first thing on ATV+ I have any interest in watching. Although, I'm surprised the filmmaker isn't using Martin's excellent 2008 autobiography, Born Standing Up, as a boilerplate. It's a great read, particularly about Martin's love/hate relationship with his success as a comic.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    neoncat said:
    I love Steve Martin. This may be the first thing on ATV+ I have any interest in watching. Although, I'm surprised the filmmaker isn't using Martin's excellent 2008 autobiography, Born Standing Up, as a boilerplate. It's a great read, particularly about Martin's love/hate relationship with his success as a comic.
    you are really missing out by not watching "Severance", it alone is worth the measly $5/month.
    edited August 2022 blastdoorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Seems a waste of digital space. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    I have a very positive impression of Steve Martin. I hope that impression is accurate — it’s nice believing there exist people who are good at what they do, appropriately rewarded for their good work, and who are also good human beings.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    ATV+ doesn't have nearly the catalog other services do, but it has enough to earn my $5. I really should save a tad and get the annual subscription.

Steve Martin is an amazing comic, though most bios don't interest me. But Only Murders in the Building does. May it  get a few more seasons.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    mac_dog said:
    Seems a waste of digital space. 
    So does that remark.