Seven years later, Apple was right to kill off the 3.5mm headphone jack

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    dewme said:
    When everything works out and customers do not revolt it's easy to look back on a decision like this as having been a smart move. Truth be told, Apple removed the dedicated headphone jack because they wanted to, not because customers were demanding that they remove it. If iPhones offered built-to-order options that included having a dedicated headphone jack, I would check that option box every single time, even with the upcoming iPhone 14.

Apple knew there would be some pushback when they removed the headphone jack, but they also knew the vast majority of their loyal customer base would quietly go along with their decision and whip out their credit cards to buy the latest iPhone anyway, plus throw in a few more bucks for a couple of dongles so they could still use their wired headphones, some of which cost more than an iPhone.

Apple banked on our loyalty and willingness to go along with a change that they wanted to push on us. They prevailed and we went along with it despite there being no obvious benefits for us. It's not like removing the headphone jack was ever a prerequisite for the other audio connectivity options that were already available on the iPhone, like Bluetooth, AirPlay, and Lightning dongles. The AirPods would be no less groundbreaking or any less delightful to use from an iPhone that also sports a 3.5 mm audio jack.

I'm not applauding Apple's decision to remove the headphone jack on the iPhone and will be even less enamored if they do the same with the iPad. They got away with it and we caved. They knew we'd still keep buying iPhones, and we have. I still have. This pattern of taking advantage of our loyalty isn't something Apple should be celebrating or something that we should view as a feather of inspiration in Apple's cap. They can only play the loyalty card so many times.

The fact that other vendors blindly followed Apple's lead should surprise nobody in the least. It does not validate Apple's decision, it merely shows that they are going to copy anything Apple does without putting any thought behind what or why they do things. Just like the removal of a charger from device packages, Apple's moves only embolden the hangers-on and followers. They know if Apple can get away with it, maybe they can get away with it too. 

LOL so much nonsense to break down in your rant. It's really just a long winded Karen rant. 

You're crying about Apple being Apple. Always moving forward. That tiny space occupied by the dumb ancient headphone jack was precious real estate for further designing a better iPhone and also making it more water resistant.

tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 65
    neoncat said:
    Sorry, it just reads like weird fan-service.
    duh! you've just described AI and everyone that posts daily 
    Nope, not really. That's not how AI rolls. Just see post# 14 from Dewme in this thread. And there are many regulars who make reasonable posts on a daily basis. May be, you should spend more time reading the AI forums before commenting like this.
    baconstangDAalsethMplsP
  • Reply 23 of 65
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    The folks that don't like to use cables and site that as a reason to NOT offer a headphone jack don't make a good argument.
    They're not mutually exclusive.  I could use wired cans or a BT speaker with my old SE.

Keeping track of the dongles is a pain.   I just tend to use a different device for music playback.
    darkvaderMplsP
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Is there any chance audio quality over BT could get better? 
  • Reply 25 of 65
    No go for k-12 schools if they take it out of the entry level iPad.  Those tec guys aren’t buying 800 dongles to charge and listen at the same time. 
    baconstangdarkvaderMplsP
  • Reply 26 of 65
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    dewme said:
    When everything works out and customers do not revolt it's easy to look back on a decision like this as having been a smart move. Truth be told, Apple removed the dedicated headphone jack because they wanted to, not because customers were demanding that they remove it. If iPhones offered built-to-order options that included having a dedicated headphone jack, I would check that option box every single time, even with the upcoming iPhone 14.

Apple knew there would be some pushback when they removed the headphone jack, but they also knew the vast majority of their loyal customer base would quietly go along with their decision and whip out their credit cards to buy the latest iPhone anyway, plus throw in a few more bucks for a couple of dongles so they could still use their wired headphones, some of which cost more than an iPhone.

Apple banked on our loyalty and willingness to go along with a change that they wanted to push on us. They prevailed and we went along with it despite there being no obvious benefits for us. It's not like removing the headphone jack was ever a prerequisite for the other audio connectivity options that were already available on the iPhone, like Bluetooth, AirPlay, and Lightning dongles. The AirPods would be no less groundbreaking or any less delightful to use from an iPhone that also sports a 3.5 mm audio jack.

I'm not applauding Apple's decision to remove the headphone jack on the iPhone and will be even less enamored if they do the same with the iPad. They got away with it and we caved. They knew we'd still keep buying iPhones, and we have. I still have. This pattern of taking advantage of our loyalty isn't something Apple should be celebrating or something that we should view as a feather of inspiration in Apple's cap. They can only play the loyalty card so many times.

The fact that other vendors blindly followed Apple's lead should surprise nobody in the least. It does not validate Apple's decision, it merely shows that they are going to copy anything Apple does without putting any thought behind what or why they do things. Just like the removal of a charger from device packages, Apple's moves only embolden the hangers-on and followers. They know if Apple can get away with it, maybe they can get away with it too. 
    I don't think that's the way it went down. Apple has always done their own market research before deciding to make any drastic changes to their products. They didn't have to count on customers loyalty in order to avoid a big backlash or loss of sales, when making their decision to eliminate the headphone jack.

When Apple eliminated the headphone jack, they knew it was time. I bet their own market research had already shown that the vast majority of their customers were already not using the headphone jack. Even if many of those might still like to have one, just in case. Most users were probably already using BT or wired headphones with built in DAC and amp, that connected to the digital lighting port.  The iPhone users that were using vintage high end Grado or AKG or Beyerdyamics, etc. headphones, were a very small minority.  And really, how much better could they have sounded, being driven with the built in amp in an iPhone.

Not to mention that there are still many smartphone users that aren't tethered to their smartphones with BT or a wire.  When their phone rings, they take it out and answer it by placing it up to their ears or using the speaker phone function. I can't remember any of my friends with smartphones, walking around wearing headphones or earbuds, all the time. And most of them do not use their smartphone as an MP3 player. It's illegal in CA to wear any headphones or earbuds while driving. The only friend I know that still uses the headphone jack is my friend that likes to connect his iPhone 6s to his vintage Sony PDW boombox (via an Aux input cable) in his garage, to listen to Pandora while working on his dirt bikes, ATV or truck. Plus he can still keep it charged with the lightning port. Even though he has upgraded to an iPhone 8, his 6s still serves that purpose, only now without cellular service. 

And there might be another advantage for Apple when they eliminated the headphone jack, besides better water resistance and more internal space. The headphone jack had an analog output that required an internal amp to drive the headphones. Without the jack, the internal amp now only needs to drive the small internal speakers. Might mean smaller chip and less internal heat. 

i remember Steve Jobs in an interview quoting Henry Ford ........ "If I had ask people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses". 
    13485watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 65
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    I have to laugh a bit when people still get worked up over Apple moving on from a connector that would’ve been recognizable at Edison Labs in the late 1800s. The overwrought angst over the switch from USB-A connectors to USB-C is dwarfed by this one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 65
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    I mean, the folks at Edison Labs would’ve been fascinated by the trick of putting three channels in one plug, and at the manufacturing advances required to miniaturize the plug. (Even more than that, they’d be amazed by the ability to travel back in time to show them a headphone plug…)

Still, eventually some clever guy at Edison would raise an eyebrow and ask if, after 130 years, the best we could do was miniaturize and add channels to the same plug he had in his desk drawer. 
    j2fusionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 65
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Seven years later and Apple still only supports AAC over A2DP. I love Bluetooth headphones but the drop is audio quality is noticable.
    baconstangdarkvaderdriqbdPuiuCS
  • Reply 30 of 65
    Wired headphones produce superior sound quality. That's really all there is to it.

Casuals may not be able to tell the difference and I'm assuming that's why Apple did away with it. Apple users tend to be casuals who are fine with the generic, on rails experience.

It's a shame that the 3.5" is being made redundant for no good reason other than Apple did it so now all the companies have to follow suit. More options are always better than less options.

Not sure when tech corporations became mommy and daddy, dictating what features we are and aren't allowed to enjoy. But I'm sure all of the dingle dongle sales turned out to be very lucrative for Tim Cook and his merry band of C-Suite buffoons.
    baconstangdarkvaderAI_liasPuiuCS
  • Reply 31 of 65
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    AppleZulu said:
    I have to laugh a bit when people still get worked up over Apple moving on from a connector that would’ve been recognizable at Edison Labs in the late 1800s. The overwrought angst over the switch from USB-A connectors to USB-C is dwarfed by this one. 
    Personally I don't get worked up over the headphone jack. 

There have been plenty of situations where simply plugging some wired headphones would have have done the trick.

Wireless earphones are basically expensive disposable electronics. There are all kinds of BT Voodoo issues that can pop up and there is nothing worse than one running out of juice quite a bit sooner than the other. Playback Control mechanics are worse than inline cabled alternatives, too. If one falls out on the go it can be a nightmare finding it (especially if on a bike).

From a user perspective, the only downside to a wired solution is ironically the cable itself. There are definitely moments when the cable can be a pain but if one falls out, you'll always find it hanging off of it. There are no charging nor battery considerations. 

From a manufacturing perspective, nothing warranted dumping the jack IMO. Not space nor IP ratings. 

In Apple's case, the removal of the jack also forced those who wanted a cabled option onto the Lightning licence money go round and needing to have an adapter on hand, while not a deal breaker is still one more thing that can be forgotten.

Having both a jack and a Bluetooth option would have been my preferred setup.

USB-C was a completely different story and one that made me abandon plans for a new MBP in 2016 (along with other issues). Wholesale switch was completely unnecessary back then. They should have transitioned in the true sense of the word. 
    WalkierbaconstangMplsPAI_liasPuiuCS
  • Reply 32 of 65
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    avon b7 said:
    There are pros and cons to having a headphone jack.

It isn't about 'courage' though. That has nothing to do with anything. 

Right now (2022) I'd still Rather have one than not have one.

I thought the "courage" remark came when they killed the power brick in the iPhone, wit the 3.5mm jack? Both are silly examples of courage, but I just didn't think they said that same thing 7 years ago as well?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 65
    To rail against an interconnect just sounds like cult like behavior to me devoid of any engineering understanding.
    darkvaderwatto_cobraPuiuCS
  • Reply 34 of 65
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jcs2305 said:
    avon b7 said:
    There are pros and cons to having a headphone jack.

It isn't about 'courage' though. That has nothing to do with anything. 

Right now (2022) I'd still Rather have one than not have one.

I thought the "courage" remark came when they killed the power brick in the iPhone, wit the 3.5mm jack? Both are silly examples of courage, but I just didn't think they said that same thing 7 years ago as well?
    No, he said it on stage about the headphone jack in 2016.  It wasn't said about the power brick.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/07/courage
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstangdarkvader
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Wired headphones just sound better. Period.
    I use Etymōtic (ER4SR and HF3 headset) and (Grado RS-1X and SR325) headphones.

I found dongles that let me listen AND charge simultaneously, so no problem with no headphone jack.

Yes, I have AirPod Pros which I HATE. Mediocre sound and they never feel comfortable and constantly fall out. 

The real question…
    Why does the iPhone still have a Lightning port instead of a USB-C port?
    Agreed, but I don’t use my QUAD-ERA1s via a dongle (or a 3.5mm Jack if it had one) on my iPad/iPhone as I use them fed from a separate headphone amp - so even if you had a 3.5mm jack I can imagine you’d use it anyway, not with RS-1Xs!
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 65
    The wireless listening experience still sucks. Apple has done very little on that front to improve it terms of tech. I don't see the "upside" of not having it? Are today's flagships really going to be worst with a headphone jack? Apple has just artificially just made the wired experience worst to push people away from it. All it has done is created more waste despite all the eco marketing. 
    edited August 2022 muthuk_vanalingambaconstangdarkvaderAI_liasPuiuCS
  • Reply 37 of 65
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Apple was wrong, is wrong, and will continue to be wrong until they get the 'courage' to do the right thing and put the headphone jack back.

As for me, I used the 1/8" jack on my iPhone 6s+ just yesterday when I couldn't find a convenient Bluetooth headset.  That's right, I'm STILL using the last GOOD iPhone Apple designed.

baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamAI_liasPuiuCS
  • Reply 38 of 65
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    JP234 said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    JP234 said:
    The real question…
    Why does the iPhone still have a Lightning port instead of a USB-C port?
    Lightning is thinner, allowing more room for electronics, and thinner cases. And thin is in, baby!
    Is there actually anything over or under the lightning port inside an iPhone?  The teardown pics don't show much of anything.  What electronics would be squeezed out if a USB-C port were installed?
    What am I, an engineer?
    iPhone isn't the thinnest phone, so the Lightning connector being thinner isn't making that much difference.
    jeffharrismuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Innovation? Lossy instead of lossless? Lol. Even copycat Sony went further with ldac, not that it's the same as lossless experience. Like encased music, missing the details. 
    It actually made people quality deaf, all listening to 128kbps, 20hz-20khz. Like 19hz doesn't exist.
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 40 of 65
    This was ALWAYS the most ridiculous of first world "problems." Yes, Apple killed the headphone jack but they never killed the ability to easily continue using wired headphones. Attach a short, free, nearly weightless dongle to the end of your wired 'phones, leave it always attached and just plug into the Lightning port whenever. This is hard because why? And the benefit of losing the jack is that it opened the door to AirPods and all the innovation we've seen in wireless listening from nearly every major audio company. 
    ronnwatto_cobra