USB 2.0 Controller

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know if the new PB's (12 &17) that were released after the MDD PM's have this USB controller too?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Nope. USB 1.1
  • Reply 2 of 26
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Nope. USB 1.1

Sorry just to be clear...

The MDD Powermacs ship with USB 1.1 like the PB's after them.

BUT the controller chip on the motherboard has been checked and is actually a USB 1.1 & 2.0 chip. Apple don't provide drivers for USB 2 but someone has written some and reports are that they work fine.

So I was wondering whether the newest PB's also have this dormant functionality.

Rob
  • Reply 3 of 26
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The new PowerBooks don't have a separate USB chip. As far as we know, Intrepid does not include USB 2.0, but then Apple didn't tell us that U2 supports FireWire 800 either.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

The new PowerBooks don't have a separate USB chip. As far as we know, Intrepid does not include USB 2.0, but then Apple didn't tell us that U2 supports FireWire 800 either.

I bet there's a lot they don't tell us..

Confused: Surely the PowerBook must have a USB Controller Chip?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by robster

Confused: Surely the PowerBook must have a USB Controller Chip?

The USB controller is built into the Intrepid chip.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    So, could the PowerBook 12" support Firewire 800? I would expect that it's the same chipset (Intrepid?) as the 17" PowerBook. An OpenFirmware hack to enable Firewire 800, perhaps?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Okay, so you enable FireWire 800. And there is absolutely no way to use it because you don't have a FW800 port. Sure, I suppose you could convert the FW400 to an 800, but wouldn't that throttle down the speed, making it useless?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    If the 12" has FW 800 I am PISSED OFF. I am SICK of Apple's goddamn crippleware. My IIsi was downclocked, my B&W G3 was prevented from getting a G4 upgrade, my iBook firmware was made so I couldn't span monitors, and now this? Apple **** YOU. And I don't know what Intrepid is but if it supports USB 2.0 then I dont' see why we can't get it to work on the PBG4 12".
  • Reply 9 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    there is no FW 800 on the miniBook... have you seen the 17"er mobo?... the 12 book is basically an iBook with a g4, the 17" is completely different...
  • Reply 10 of 26
    That's a myth...Just because it looks similar on the outside...

For starters, it has DDR RAM. NVIDIA gfx. BT. It's smaller and has different ports.It's just plain a different mobo. Besides I think someone said it has this "Intrepid" chip that the 17" has
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

That's a myth...Just because it looks similar on the outside...

For starters, it has DDR RAM. NVIDIA gfx. BT. It's smaller and has different ports.It's just plain a different mobo. Besides I think someone said it has this "Intrepid" chip that the 17" has

Agreed!

There is an adaptor to convert from the 400 to the 800 type connector, if you can hack the firmware or write working drivers then it is possible to use IF the controller supports it.

Likewise with my original question with USB 2.0, It's be very Apple to physically build this into the controller, it gives them options down the line without having to build a new chipset.

Does anyone know any way to actullay find out though?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I agree with Aquatic. Apple is as known for intentionally crippling machines as anything else nowadays. They do this to intentionally keep their retail prices high than any piece of hardware alone could justify and I am tired of it as well.

iBooks should have monitor spanning enabled. I have no doubt that all the recent Mac's (PB 17, PB 12, MDD PMacs) Have USB 2.0 because they use a chip for it just like everyone else. Eventually no one is making 1.1 chips because 2.0 USB is pin compatible and...blah...blah...blah.

In otherwords Apple is fully willing to retard their machines hardware-wise because of an agenda both for USB and propping up prices.

Nick
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Retard is definitely the right word. Sorry but can you tell I'm a little bitter? I just don't see why if they have the tech they don't use it. So what if G3s in iBooks are faster than PBs for example? PB users know why they buy a PB and it's not the mhz. Gee...wouldn't FIREWIRE 2 be a reason to buy a PowerBook G4 12"?? Then Apple could sell more iBooks AND PBG4's. Duuuuhhh.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I'm fairly sure other manufacturers do the same thing to differentiate their products and we're just more aware of Apple's examples.

While everyone is having a good ol' crippelware rant: the UJ-815 "Superdrive" (as seen in the AlBooks) supports 1x DVD-RW, 16x CDR and 2x DVD RAM burning, but these features aren't in the Apple firmware. Some people have been able to burn DVD RWs using the DWDB firmware version but this isn't universal nor is there an Apple supported flashing program. (DWDB is the firmware on the 17" PowerBook; DOCB is the 12" 's shiping firmware).

PDF with manufacturer's drive spec.s for the UJ 815
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Well that's just ridiculous. While we're on the subject what other hidden features might a 12" PowerBook have?
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Well that's just ridiculous. While we're on the subject what other hidden features might a 12" PowerBook have?

I suppose mentioning the fictional 640Mb RAM limit (imposed because no one was actually selling 1024mn on the day of release) is old news?...relevant though I feel....

I would not be at all suprised to find the mb for the 12" supported:

USB 2.0

FireWire 800

DVI output

Light sensitive keyboard.

Saying that I LOVE my 12" PB, it is the best powerbook i've ever had.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Same here!

Light sensitive keyboard.... dunno about that wouldn't that be hilarious. God that feature on the 12" will kick my ass! Yeah I bet it supports DVI output too though and yes I read that the PB 12" will take 1gig SODIMM DDR RAM chips so it can have over a gig of RAM.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

and yes I read that the PB 12" will take 1gig SODIMM DDR RAM chips so it can have over a gig of RAM.

The truth of the matter with the RAM is that it can address up to 4Gb of DDR-RAM if anyone actually made the module...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    LOL. A 4 gig SODIMM DDR RAM chip would probably cost more than the PB itself and believe me mine is maxxed out with RAM, Airport, 60 gig drive, SupaDrive, the works!

Also I would be curious to know how you can turn FW400 into FW800 with a converter. Amorph? Because I think the doubled physical connections in the FW800 port are what make the doubled data rate possible. I think I'm wishing too much again like when that "daughter card" graphics chip in the 12" powerbook was fabricated here.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Saying that I LOVE my 12" PB, it is the best powerbook i've ever had.

My Duo 230 can now be handed down.