Apple 'Far Out' iPhone 14 event invite is an AR star field

Posted:
in iPhone
The September 7 Apple event invite has an augmented reality feature for iPhone and iPad which creates a looping star field. Here's how to activate it.

See a looping star field with an Apple logo within the Apple events page
See a looping star field with an Apple logo within the Apple events page

When on the Apple event webpage, users can click on the Apple logo to enter AR view on iOS and iPadOS devices. On macOS, users can download the file and view the animation in Quick Look.

The logo loops through the animation and can be viewed in 360-degrees in AR. Walk into the AR object to look around within the star field while the animation plays.

Apple has used AR objects within its event invites for a while now. The "Peek Performance" and "California Streaming" events being the most recent examples.

Far out. September 7. #AppleEvent pic.twitter.com/bw5Lxf3eQ9

-- Greg Joswiak (@gregjoz)

The "Far Out" iPhone 14 event will be held on September 7 at 1pm EST. Expected announcements include the iPhone 14 Pro with powerful new cameras and the Apple Watch Series 8 with a new larger rugged option.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    48 megapixels? Astrophotography?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    I wonder how many Invitees actually attempt to observe this AR "feature"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    JP234 said:
    So if I can get an AR view on my iPhone or iPad, what do I need some clunky, expensive blinders for?
    Spoken like someone who has never experienced VR.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    It’s actually a multiverse portal.
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:
    So if I can get an AR view on my iPhone or iPad, what do I need some clunky, expensive blinders for?
    Fair enough. I've always believed that both "virtual" reality and "augmented" reality are oxymorons at best. Permanently damaging to our perception of actual reality at worst.
    How are they oxymorons? They are as described by those terms, exactly. Permanently damaging? What are you smoking? 
    JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:
    Fair enough. I've always believed that both "virtual" reality and "augmented" reality are oxymorons at best. Permanently damaging to our perception of actual reality at worst.
    How are they oxymorons? They are as described by those terms, exactly. Permanently damaging? What are you smoking? 
    The occasional legal joint, and guess what? It definitely changes one's perception of reality. Ever wake up from a dream, and feel like you're still in the dream? Ever thought you woke up from a dream, but were actually still dreaming (those are the worst)? Those are altered states, just like what AR & VR headsets are trying to achieve. The difference being that the dreamer will wake up sometime, while some headset users will become addicted to the experience, much like some video gamers, and forgo sleep, eating, bathroom breaks and interaction with the physical world. AR & VR will make this trend much more addictive, and on a deeper subconscious level. Artificial intelligence will only make the experience more immersive, and more addictive. And some users will inevitably experience a breakdown of the walls between the virtual and the physical worlds that our minds normally maintain, leading to fractured egos and psychotic breaks. With potentially dire consequences.
    Ah yes, just like how MTV and video games ruined my brain as a kid. Just making stuff up in anticipation of hating new technology.