What to expect from the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Max

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2022
The iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Max are expected to be announced during Apple's September 7 event. Here's what we know about the new models, and what we expect that they will look like.

The 'iPhone 14' may have the same design as the iPhone 13
The 'iPhone 14' may have the same design as the iPhone 13

There haven't been many rumors surrounding Apple's standard 2022 iPhones so far. There are more rumors about what won't be included in the "iPhone 14" than what will, with supply chain leaks focusing on the more robust "iPhone 14 Pro."

A handful of rumors and some leaked diagrams provide just enough detail to paint a picture of Apple's latest iPhone strategy. It seems the company may be looking to further widen the gap between the entry and pro models.

The leaked diagrams show nearly identical dimensions, a notched display, and a dual-camera system in the rear much like the iPhone 13. However, according to Mark Gurman, there will be a new size class that replaces the iPhone mini -- the 6.7-inch "iPhone 14 Max."

Dummy units examined by AppleInsider appear to corroborate these claims, showing the standard iPhone's outward appearance is identical to the previous generation. The new larger max model is roughly the same design as the iPhone 13 Pro Max, but with a much smaller camera bump.

Dummy units based on leaked dimensions, 'iPhone 14 Max' on the right
Dummy units based on leaked dimensions, 'iPhone 14 Max' on the right

This larger iPhone would have the same 6.7-inch screen but have the same cameras, display technology, and feature set as the standard iPhone. That means users would no longer have to choose a pro iPhone just to get a larger screen size.

Since the rumor mill is focused on the "iPhone 14 Pro," there is a good idea of what isn't coming to the "iPhone 14." Leakers have been clear that the new 48MP camera sensor, pill-and-hole-punch display, and A16 processor won't be included in the "iPhone 14."

The 'iPhone 14 Pro' will have more obvious changes to its design
The 'iPhone 14 Pro' will have more obvious changes to its design

The "iPhone 14 Max" is a brand new device, so users seeking something in that size and feature set will have an obvious reason to upgrade, but it isn't yet clear what will change for the 6.1-inch model. If it has the same Super Retina XDR display, A15 processor, and camera system, then Apple will likely have some new feature for it to earn the "iPhone 14" name.

Industry analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says that Apple could increase the RAM in the standard models from 4GB to 6GB, a rumor repeated by Digitimes. This means the performance will be similar to the iPhone 13 Pro with its A15 processor.

View our 3D render using augmented reality on an iPhone or iPad by tapping on the image above. Select the "AR" tab to place the "iPhone 14 Max" on your table or desk. Mac users can click on the image to download the USDZ file and view it in Preview. Beta users may have trouble viewing the model.

Display supply chain analyst Ross Young has said that ProMotion will not be coming to the non-pro iPhones in 2022 due to supply chain limitations. The 2023 "iPhone 15" may be the first lineup to have ProMotion across all devices.

The OLED used in iPhone will continue to have a quality split between the standard and pro models, according to one rumor. This differentiation provides yet another distinction for buyers, with the more expensive pro models having better display technology.

Other things staying the same include Face ID and the notch. Rumors say under-display Face ID isn't ready and the pill-and-hole cutout is exclusive to the pro models, so the sensor housing will remain identical.

Apple will likely improve its rear camera system, maybe introduce macro mode to non-pro devices
Apple will likely improve its rear camera system, maybe introduce macro mode to non-pro devices

Also, the Lightning port will be sticking around for at least one more year. Signs are pointing to Apple adopting USB-C in a future model, and Ming-Chi Kuo thinks it will arrive in the "iPhone 15" in 2023.

There aren't any leaks about other potential features yet, but Apple could bring features available in other products to the "iPhone 14." An obvious upgrade is the ultra-wide camera gaining autofocus so users can take macro photos. Currently, macro photography is exclusive to the pro iPhones, but only because the ultra-wide camera gained autofocus and not due to a performance limitation.

There isn't much to distinguish the 2022 iPhone from the iPhone 13
There isn't much to distinguish the 2022 iPhone from the iPhone 13

There is also a slim chance that Apple introduces Center Stage to the iPhone selfie camera with an ultra-wide lens. Apple has included the technology in the iPad, the Mac, and even the Studio Display. If Apple wants the feature to be ubiquitous, then it will likely bring it to its most popular product.

A report in July 2022 assumes that increased supply chain costs will be passed to the customer with the new iPhone lineup. The base price could increase by as much as $100 to tackle increasing manufacturing and distribution costs.

Apple is expected to announce the "iPhone 14" and "iPhone 14 Max" during a September 7 Apple event. The "iPhone 14 Pro" and "iPhone 14 Pro Max" will also be announced, so check out the renders and rumor roundup for those devices as well.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Hoping they "pull a MagSafe port" with the mini and bring it back for the 15 or 16 when I'll be due for an upgrade. While I've gotten used to my full-size iPhone 11, I'd love to go smaller again!
    watto_cobraretrogustolkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    So, have the old rumors of the always-on displays been discarded? Or just forgotten?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    Japhey said:
    So, have the old rumors of the always-on displays been discarded? Or just forgotten?
    If an always on display happens, it will be in the iPhone 14 Pro. This is an article about the iPhone 14.
    dewme
  • Reply 4 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Japhey said:
    If an always on display happens, it will be in the iPhone 14 Pro. This is an article about the iPhone 14.
    Thanks. I don’t know why I assumed it would be both models. 
  • Reply 5 of 17
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Japhey said:

What an absolutely awful idea.  I don't want to have to put my phone in a drawer just to be able to sleep.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Just want to say that the battery life on the 13 is truly amazing and is reason alone to upgrade. It lasts all day. I’m assuming the 14 will be at least as good.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 17
    No iPhone 14 mini ?   Never mind, just bought an iPhone 13 mini yesterday to help me make it thru the desert filled w oversized phones

I don’t want an entry level phone.  I want as much of a beast as Apple can fit into the mini form factor.  
    lkrupp
  • Reply 8 of 17
    ArszyArszy Posts: 13member
    No mini = no sale.
    I’ll just keep my iPhone 13 mini for a few more years and see what develops.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 9 of 17
    A great article!

on a separate note, it’s a shame we don’t get Daniel Eran Dilger’s in-depth analysis any more. 

He does love a good anti-conservative, anti-Trump tweet, and as honorable as that may be, or otherwise, it’s nowhere near as compelling as his traditional articles, which sadly, aren’t even at his own site any more. 

Anyway great article. 
    waveparticle
  • Reply 10 of 17
    darkvader said:
    Japhey said:

What an absolutely awful idea.  I don't want to have to put my phone in a drawer just to be able to sleep.
    So you don’t think Apple is smart enough to put in a sleep mode, or to let you set a schedule over when the AOD should be on or off? 🤣😂
    sdw2001
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Arszy said:
    No mini = no sale.
    Well eventually, like in about 5 or so years, the Mini will stop getting updates. 

But hey, when we are using Apple AR/MR/XR glasses, you won’t need a big device anymore, so yeah. iPhone 18 mini is when it’ll probably come back. 
  • Reply 12 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Arszy said:
    No mini = no sale.
    That would put you in the minority of buyers, which is why it's likely going away.  
  • Reply 13 of 17
    darkvader said:
    Japhey said:

On Apple Watch, "always on" is an option which can be toggled on/off. I assume iPhone would be the same.
    i still have mixed feelings about it on my watch. Currently it's on.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    So after 1 year of innovation there is basically nothing new? Come on apple. Innovate. Samsung are leaders in innovation. Apple we don’t need an updated camera yet again. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    darkvader said:
    Japhey said:

At this point you haven't realized that an always on display doesn't mean it's on full brightness constantly? The screen drops to 1hz and goes super dim. Currently the iPhone 13 Pro can drop to 10 Hz which is technically enough for an AOD but I assume Apple didn't want to roll this out until the could get o 1hz like the Apple Watch for the sake of maximum battery life.

1Hz isn't confirmed but has been reported by Ross Young who has about a 92% accuracy rating according to Apple Track.

I have had an Apple watch series 5 for almost 3 years now and can fully attest that it is barely on bright and not disruptive in a dark room.

dewmemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 17
    chrisbkk said:
    So after 1 year of innovation there is basically nothing new? Come on apple. Innovate. Samsung are leaders in innovation. Apple we don’t need an updated camera yet again. 
    Speak for yourself!