IBL? your thoughts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
SO... the admins have taken a dim view of IBL. But IBL really is part of the AI experience, it was invented here, by yours truly no less. It seems we are denying who we are by denying our proud history of IBL.

So tell the admins what you think, answer my fun filled poll and tell the admins how you feel about this latest directive from the dilbert skunkworks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Right Matsu. It's the equivalent of a Caesar giving "Thumbs up" or "Thumbs down"
  • Reply 2 of 31
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Think about it logically, IBL is STOOPID!

1.) You are not a mod, therefore the decision to lock is not yours. You think that by somehow trying to predict the action of a mod gives you the power of those mods - half the time the thread does not get locked and you look Stoopid!

2.) If you didnt reply with IBL, the thread would quickly degrade to the bottom of the list and vanish anyway. Therefore, your action of IBL is keeping the thread "popular" even when you think it should be locked.... STOOPID!

Oh and BTW, the You's and Your's are not directed towards Matsu, but IBL'ers in general.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

2.) If you didnt reply with IBL, the thread would quickly degrade to the bottom of the list and vanish anyway. Therefore, your action of IBL is keeping the thread "popular" even when you think it should be locked.... STOOPID!

Bingo.

IBL does nothing but keep threads at the top of the list with spam.

If you have nothing to contribute to a thread, don't post. If you don't think a post should be in a forum, don't post. The expectation that the moderators should lock everything that doesn't pass muster is burdensome and silly. I would much rather that silly or pointless threads just fell off the bottom of the thread list, but that does require a little restraint on the part of the membership.

On the other hand, that restraint was a trademark of AI's membership long before Matsu started IBL'ing threads he didn't like.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    We can't betray an important part of our AI heritage!

IBL isn't stupid, it's... well, it is stupid, but at least all those posts make problem threads easier for the mods to find.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Ummmmm.

I've never seen these damn things.

So axe 'em. More features = more software = bad. Software is bad. i like things nice and concise. Mhen they start getting bigger than 700bytes, things get ugly.

semi-irrelevant post now over.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Daver

at least all those posts make problem threads easier for the mods to find.

you miss the point... if there wasn't people going IBL IBL IBL! all the time, --which just makes the thread more popular and ANNOYING-- the thread wouldn't be a problem because people would just ignore it...

however, if the original poster keeps on bumping the thread then a mod will lock it anyway... you are just making things harder for the mods because rather then allowing the thread to die on their own you force a mod to do it...

its not like they get paid you know... anything that makes less work for them is a good thing...
  • Reply 7 of 31
    so, matsu, when'd you...invent IBL?

i always thought it was invented over at ars...
  • Reply 8 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Damn it man, this is the internet, I invented IBL as surely as Al Gore invented the www. hahaha!!! I'm sure IBL existed before moi, but 99% of the time I saw "In Before Lock" our specious claim lies only in the abbreviation to a time saving IBL acronym.

Just having a little fun, if ye prefer no IBL, that's no problem for me, sometimes it is a funny comment though. Looking at my 4000+ posts, mebbe there are a dozen or so IBL's, I'm not addicted to them or anything.

PS, polls are cool
  • Reply 9 of 31
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    There's some times when it's not appropriate, but it's usually just funny.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I usually post that stuff in places totally unneccesary, or to draw the attention of the mods.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I usually post that stuff in places totally unneccesary, or to draw the attention of the mods.

I think I can speak for the mods in saying that unless the thread is actually offensive or otherwise needing our attention, we're just as happy if it falls off the front page with 0 replies. Locking is definitely a second, less desirable option. Nothing discourages a troll or an errant member like seeing their effort at getting attention fail completely, without the assist of a lock.

If you need our attention, there are other ways to get it that don't push obnoxious or redundant threads to the top of the list. We're all emailed when we're PM'd.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    just click on the little lightning icon in the bottom right hand corner of EVERY post...(where appropriate, of course...)
  • Reply 13 of 31
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Matsu, I'm not sure if you intended it, but your poll is messed up. Nevermind the fact that it's psychometrically incorrect (), but it's got checkboxes as opposed to radio buttons! All votes are therefore invalid, as is this thread!

IBL!!

• Reply 14 of 31
    IBL an old AI tradition? Perhaps in some screwed "the world was invented two years ago"-american perception of time.

It is less than half a year old.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    not the world. The IBL trend if you wondered.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Matsu, I'm not sure if you intended it, but your poll is messed up. Nevermind the fact that it's psychometrically incorrect (), but it's got checkboxes as opposed to radio buttons! All votes are therefore invalid, as is this thread!

IBL!!

Damn, and I was winning too!
  • Reply 17 of 31
    So if I were to post an I*L in an IBL thread, would I still get banned for 24 hours?
  • Reply 18 of 31
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I believe that only applies to FH.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    I can't believe that one of the options spelt 'arseholes' instead of 'asshole'. Is this Tony Blair's influence?

IBL? I'm with the mods on this one. A Margaret Thatcher 'This lady is not for turning...' Nuke IBL'ers on site.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 20 of 31
    It would be interesting to know what Steve Jobs would think of 'IBL'ers.

Would he use his verbal 'implode you' death ray on the poor offender?

Lemon Bon Bon (Somewhat thoughfully...)