Paramount+ and Showtime to combine into single app & service

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2022
Streaming channels Paramount+ and Showtime are already offered as a bundle together, but now their services will be combined in one app, initially at a discount.

Paramount+ and Showtime became optionally bundled together with one joint price in early 2021, although there were then billing problems. Now as well as offering their combined services via one app, the pair are also introducing a new series of pricing tiers.

According to Deadline, the basic, ad-supported version of what's called Paramount+ With Showtime will now cost $7.99 per month. The ad-free version will be $12.99 per month. Both prices are offered from now until October 2, 2022, and they are both for new subscribers and existing ones upgrading to the bundle.

"The Paramount+ with Showtime bundle offers consumers unprecedented value by providing one of the broadest content libraries in streaming at one of the lowest prices in the marketplace," Tom Ryan, president and chief executive officer of Paramount Global Streaming said. "This singular user experience streamlines sign-up and enhances discovery, and this lower price will allow more households to enjoy this exceptional combined entertainment offering."

Users who subscribe before October 2 will retain their lower-cost tier, but then new or upgrading users will see a price rise. From that date, the combined services will cost $11.99 per month for the ad-supported edition, or $14.99 per month for ad-free.

It will still be possible to subscribe solely to Showtime, without Paramount+, and that will be $10.99 per month.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    How does adding an irrelevant and dead channel, i.e. Showtime, add value?

Instead it assumes the consumer is an idiot and that we will believe the marketing that the two provide extra value and justify the price increase.

I really hope these platforms rethink the "ad tier" approach. Not sure about others but I will NOT pay one cent for an ad based tier and will very carefully consider the price of the non-ad tier. Read: there is not enough value for the increase in price. Instead I will cancel service and renew them when the content I want becomes available. For example, cancel Disney+ until the new shows come out, binge them then cancel again for another six months.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 10
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    It seems to be unavailable outside the USA. Which is fine, since Paramount+ outside the USA offers only 50% of the main shows that it offers inside the USA.
    entropysFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I wonder where that leaves those of us who are still subscribed to the "Paramount+ and Showtime" bundle for $9.99/mo through Apple TV. Will it be discontinued or will it be rebranded to this new Paramount+ With Showtime offering and get the price hike? Despite having access to Showtime's content for essentially no added cost, we've only streamed one show from Showtime in our household, so if they increase the cost for legacy subscribers I'll wind up switching to just Paramount+. As mentioned by another poster, the content's just not there to justify the price.
    george kaplanFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 10
    And what about those of us who subscribe to Showtime on cable? Do we now get access to the full Paramount+ app?
    longpathMrBunside
  • Reply 5 of 10
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    tokyojimu said:
    And what about those of us who subscribe to Showtime on cable? Do we now get access to the full Paramount+ app?
    An excellent question. It appears that the existing access to Showtime is irrelevant and they want to force us to either pay for Showtime twice, or forego Paramount+. 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    I question how accurate this article is.  I just checked my profile on Paramount plus and also the current plan options on their website.  

To me it looks like this does not affect current subscribers.  And they still have the premium option for $9.99 month without showtime.   I have the premium version and love this streaming service.  It’s worth it just for the sports alone to me.   
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Panifex said:
    I wonder where that leaves those of us who are still subscribed to the "Paramount+ and Showtime" bundle for $9.99/mo through Apple TV. Will it be discontinued or will it be rebranded to this new Paramount+ With Showtime offering and get the price hike? Despite having access to Showtime's content for essentially no added cost, we've only streamed one show from Showtime in our household, so if they increase the cost for legacy subscribers I'll wind up switching to just Paramount+. As mentioned by another poster, the content's just not there to justify the price.
    This AI article summary neglects to mention that Paramount+ alone will be $9.99. So I’ll guess the price of the tv Channels bundle will go up to $12.99 (for existing customers). We’ll no longer get Showtime for free. I think the only question is, will they keep the tv Channels at all?

On the other hand, if they fold Showtime into the Paramount+ app and also maintain the tv Channels, then it’s possible that will be an improvement. Right now, the Paramount+ app works with the tv Channels subscription, but the Showtime app does not (you can only watch Showtime content inside the tv Channel). 
    edited August 2022
  • Reply 8 of 10
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    Content companies are low margin low profit companies always splitting, merging and always up for sale every 5-10 years to a new sucker. Are you sure you want to be in that business Apple? People buy multiple Apple devices because they work with most formats that matter.
    edited August 2022 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I have no desire for Showtime. I do enjoy *some* of the new Star Trek shows on P+. As for ads, no thank you. I don't have time for those anymore.
    FileMakerFeller