Samsung mocks iPhone 14 in latest ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    rezwits said:
    Guys come on, quit playing Fox and the Grapes...

I am a 100% macFanBoy, have purchased over 100 apple product in my lifetime, since 1985!

If they don't get a Flip and/or Fold next year for the 2023, "iPhone 15"

That's that... Samsung kicked our ASS.  I am not gonna sit here in denial!

I had a Motorola Flip (2-3 of um) back in the day and it's NiiiCCCCEEEE...

Sorry, face facts dawgs...  They have the SCREEN TECH, and Apple can't do an F-ing thing!

Get real boys...  BUT we kick their ass on EVERYTHING else, so... you know the saying:

You can't win um all...
    LOL. SAMSUNG ISNT KICKING apples anything. 

A sucky fold isn’t a performance metric. 

Mac fanboy? Interesting. Haven’t seen you here before. And your commentary doesn’t support that. But if you say so… 

If apple ever added a folding model, I’d still buy the bar. A fold is only adding cost, complexity, and failure points. A solution looking for a problem (and creating its own problems) if ever there was one. 

What the real story here is that apple has the best phones AND the best tablets. So much so that they’ve killed off the other tablets. So Samsung and others HAVE TO TRY GIMMICKS. BECAUSE NO INE BUYS THEIR TABLETS. meanwhile, apples ipad/iPhone combo can’t be beat. And you can buy the combo for the same price as a foldable. It’s really just the also-rans admitting they’ve lost and can’t accept it. 

You did get one thing right. Apple has the better phones. That’s WHY Samsung has to resort to gimmicks. It’s also why they call out the leader in ads. That’s how it goes. The heavyweight champ doesn’t call out opponents. They call him out. 

Samsung makes decent stuff. Just not up to apple par. 
    edited September 2022 baconstangiqatedoradarthekatricmacwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 43
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    M68000 said:
    I thought I heard that Apple sources OLED phone screens from Samsung.  If that’s true,  you gotta love it.  One the one hand run these ads but at the same time happy to do business as a supplier.  LOL.  You would think Samsung would refuse to do any business with Apple since it markets it’s own phones.
    It’s smart business to gain revenue and profit from a maker that sells huge numbers.  That feeds Samsung’s R&D while also keeping others (LG) from
    becoming the world’s largest display provider, which might be the case if Apple suddenly needed to use its $billions to prop up a new display provider.  
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Does Samsung even come close to having anything like like FaceID yet?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 43
    I’ve never heard Apple mention another phone or company in an ad in my life. If they did, I missed it. 
    Well, they were pretty straight on intel at the time:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cf3m_YUzCM
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SvvcQpp3SYE

they even had a shootout in some Macworld.  

and of course IBM:

• Reply 25 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I’ve never heard Apple mention another phone or company in an ad in my life. If they did, I missed it. 
    Mac vs PC?  You missed those?
  • Reply 26 of 43
    rezwits said:
    Guys come on, quit playing Fox and the Grapes...

I am a 100% macFanBoy, have purchased over 100 apple product in my lifetime, since 1985!

If they don't get a Flip and/or Fold next year for the 2023, "iPhone 15"

That's that... Samsung kicked our ASS.  I am not gonna sit here in denial!

I had a Motorola Flip (2-3 of um) back in the day and it's NiiiCCCCEEEE...

Sorry, face facts dawgs...  They have the SCREEN TECH, and Apple can't do an F-ing thing!

Get real boys...  BUT we kick their ass on EVERYTHING else, so... you know the saying:

You can't win um all...
    I keep my iPhone Pro Max horizontally in a belt holster - just too big to comfortably put in a pocket with other items which may scratch the screen. While I'm driving it stays in a Pro Clip dash mount connected to the Impreza's USB Infotainment CarPlay system.

There's no reason in the world that I'd exchange the thinness of the iPhone for a double+ thick folded GameBoy Advance SP form factor which would then need to be unfolded to use.

Slab phones are delicate enough ... I don't need a foldable device which won't last a year - let alone at least half a decade.

In case you missed it - here's the This Is … summary of the Z-Fold: 

That's a video with Austin Evans of This Is … who dearly wants to love the folding phone, but just can't because it keeps breaking.

Now I pretty much only use a phone for a year since I keep buying the new Pro Max for it's better camera system - you can't go back in time and take your photos for the year with the new better camera - and just scrolling chronologically through my photo library I can see the continuous quality evolution of the iPhone. The first time I went through the photo library I wondered why I kept those iPhone 4 shots because they were such trash - until I realized that that was a good shot from an iPhone 4. Since then I've been buying the Pro Max every year just for improved cameras, though honestly the rest of the phone improves as well.

I just wish I'd had that kind of quality back when my daughter was still young - Lord knows how many shots I missed because my DSLR was too bulky and the iPhone just didn't have the quality and speed and zoom range of current offerings.

But - back on point - even though I only use a phone nowadays for a year, they do get passed on to my wife and daughter - my wife is currently using the 11 Pro Max with 512 GB and this year she's getting the 13 Pro Max, and my daughter will upgrade from the 12 with 256 GB to the 12 Pro Max - both with 512 GB of storage. Neither buys their own electronics, and the improvement they'll get is worth a lot more than what I'd get selling the older devices. They'll be getting them for Christmas and of course they're free to either use their old devices for sell 'em and buy something else with the proceeds.

iPhones last for a really long time - and as such they retain good resale value - something you really can't say about competitive offerings.
    edited September 2022 watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 27 of 43
    crowley said:
    They never called out a manufacturer or brand in that campaign, did they? It was “PC” in a generic sense even though it was obvious that it was targeting Microsoft. 
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 28 of 43
    crowley said:
    They never called out a manufacturer or brand in that campaign, did they? It was “PC” in a generic sense even though it was obvious that it was targeting Microsoft. 
    They mentioned Windows by name a lot.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Or a fair bit anyway, not in every one.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    crowley said:
    Don’t recall that. Anyway, it’s a good reason to watch them again
    ..followed obviously “it devoured my papers” :smiley: 
  • Reply 31 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    crowley said:
    Don’t recall that. Anyway, it’s a good reason to watch them again
    ..followed obviously “it devoured my papers” :smiley: 
    What happened to the one with the Linux guy in it? That was one of my faves but I can't seem to find it on YouTube. Or could it have been on of those parody alternatives? 
  • Reply 32 of 43
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    The first ad I remember Samsung mocking Apple iPhones was their "Wall Hugger" ad, where they were trying sell to smartphones users that a removable battery was a "feature" on their Galaxy 5. Only to convert to a non-removable battery with their Galaxy 6, the next year.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Flip phones are innovation? Welcome to the 90s. Only thing different is the hinge. Yay, hinges!
  • Reply 34 of 43
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Like all political parties:
    To deflect scrutiny, they attack the opponent to draw the attention away from them. 

The foldable phone is a phone looking for a use case. Seems to me Samsung poured a shit ton of money into the idea before determining whether or not there was any use beyond the “cool” or “trendy.”
  • Reply 35 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    mac_dog said:
    Like all political parties:
    To deflect scrutiny, they attack the opponent to draw the attention away from them. 

The foldable phone is a phone looking for a use case. Seems to me Samsung poured a shit ton of money into the idea before determining whether or not there was any use beyond the “cool” or “trendy.”
    The use case is crystal clear. Folding a 'tablet' size screen down to a pocketable phone size and still being able to use it as a regular phone. The best of both worlds. Not having to carry a phone and a tablet. 

On top of that there are some nice plusses in that you can use the main camera for selfies etc.

A lot people who have used them (for review purposes etc) have said they didn't want to hand them back. 

muthuk_vanalingamrezwits
  • Reply 36 of 43
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Meh. Negative ads are nothing new. When it comes to political solicitation negativity and attacking has become far more prevalent form of paid solicitation. Is there anyone remaining in the targeted audience who is not already totally numb to this and most every other forms of paid advertising and solicitation? Even when the solicitation is supposedly spun in a non-attacking way, it's still viewed as pandering, blowing smoke, or a forced mindless interruption that has a 20-second half-life. 

Samsung and Apple are vastly different companies with vastly different development and marketing strategies. Samsung can afford to build and deliver sub-par and even disastrous smartphones (in small quantities at least) because they sell a crapload of phones at very low prices where customer expectations and tolerance of failure is more malleable. Samsung takes a kind of a shotgun approach that provides them with risk mitigation based on safety in numbers. Apple on the other hand can't afford a major screw-up or even the appearance of a screw-up when it comes to their one and only smartphone product line. Apple has to be extremely focused, exacting, and intolerant of failures. 

What does this mean in the world of folding phones? It means that if or when Apple brings an iPhone product to market that is intended to solve the very legitimate problems that Samsung is trying to solve with their folding phones, said iPhone product will most certainly be a fully functional, premium, and satisfying product. If Apple can't solve this problem in a way that delights customers they are not going to iterate over generations of almost-good-enough products that drag customers, or should I say paying beta testers, down a path with an uncertain future. If Apple can't solve the problem they will punt on it until they can, which may be never.

So I am not going to weigh in on whether folding phones are good or bad until I see an iPhone designed and built to the same exacting quality standards as every other iPhone that hits the market that solves the problems the folding phones are attacking. I don't want a toy. I don't want a science project. I don't want junk. But I also don't want to buy a friggen holster to strap a slabby monstrosity to my belt any more than I want to wear a metal or hard plastic pocket protector to house pens, pencils, Apple Pencil, and maybe a slide rule, you know, just in case my calculator battery dies. The problem of excessively large, bulky, and heavy phones that obscure our field of view like a shield is real, but we also don't want to lose the visual benefits of panoramic screen presentations or all-day plus battery life that slab-o-matic phones deliver. Apple, we have a problem, so let's see what you can come up with - and I don't mean the Apple Holster or the Apple Murse, regardless of color and material choices.
    edited September 2022 watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 37 of 43
    dewme said:
    Meh. Negative ads are nothing new. When it comes to political solicitation negativity and attacking has become far more prevalent form of paid solicitation. Is there anyone remaining in the targeted audience who is not already totally numb to this and most every other forms of paid advertising and solicitation? Even when the solicitation is supposedly spun in a non-attacking way, it's still viewed as pandering, blowing smoke, or a forced mindless interruption that has a 20-second half-life. 

Samsung and Apple are vastly different companies with vastly different development and marketing strategies. Samsung can afford to build and deliver sub-par and even disastrous smartphones (in small quantities at least) because they sell a crapload of phones at very low prices where customer expectations and tolerance of failure is more malleable. Samsung takes a kind of a shotgun approach that provides them with risk mitigation based on safety in numbers. Apple on the other hand can't afford a major screw-up or even the appearance of a screw-up when it comes to their one and only smartphone product line. Apple has to be extremely focused, exacting, and intolerant of failures. 

What does this mean in the world of folding phones? It means that if or when Apple brings an iPhone product to market that is intended to solve the very legitimate problems that Samsung is trying to solve with their folding phones, said iPhone product will most certainly be a fully functional, premium, and satisfying product. If Apple can't solve this problem in a way that delights customers they are not going to iterate over generations of almost-good-enough products that drag customers, or should I say paying beta testers, down a path with an uncertain future. If Apple can't solve the problem they will punt on it until they can, which may be never.

So I am not going to weigh in on whether folding phones are good or bad until I see an iPhone designed and built to the same exacting quality standards as every other iPhone that hits the market that solves the problems the folding phones are attacking. I don't want a toy. I don't want a science project. I don't want junk. But I also don't want to buy a friggen holster to strap a slabby monstrosity to my belt any more than I want to wear a metal or hard plastic pocket protector to house pens, pencils, Apple Pencil, and maybe a slide rule, you know, just in case my calculator battery dies. The problem of excessively large, bulky, and heavy phones that obscure our field of view like a shield is real, but we also don't want to lose the visual benefits of panoramic screen presentations or all-day plus battery life that slab-o-matic phones deliver. Apple, we have a problem, so let's see what you can come up with - and I don't mean the Apple Holster or the Apple Murse, regardless of color and material choices.
    If you think Apple may never solve the foldable phones due to technological limitations, you would be surprised to know that foldable phones are very close to becoming mainstream now than ever before. Only price of foldable phones stand in the way of significant adoption. And that would change in the next few years as prices come down. It is worth reading the review of Oppo Find N (Oppo Find N review - GSMArena.com tests) to know where the foldable phones stand now. It will only get better from here onwards.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    dewme said:

If you think Apple may never solve the foldable phones due to technological limitations, you would be surprised to know that foldable phones are very close to becoming mainstream now than ever before. Only price of foldable phones stand in the way of significant adoption. And that would change in the next few years as prices come down. It is worth reading the review of Oppo Find N (Oppo Find N review - GSMArena.com tests) to know where the foldable phones stand now. It will only get better from here onwards.
    As I said in my post, I believe that if Apple has an iPhone level of quality solution to the problems current folding phones are trying to solve, they will bring it to market.

It doesn't matter what I think, or what you think, or what a reviewer of any current product on the market thinks about a particular product or product category. The only thing that matters is what Apple thinks and is willing to act upon. 

Apple's executives, new product development teams, designers, and engineers obviously have access to every folding phone already on the market. They have extensive forensic analysis capabilities. They have access to a plethora of market research and data, competitive and otherwise. They have amazing insight into their customer's behaviors and expectations. They are in an equal or better place than where they were before they delivered their first iPod, their first iPhone, their first iPad, their first Apple Watch, their first iMac, etc. If they bring something to market in their most financially important product line, it will be worth the wait, but it may not necessarily be a clone of what's already been done by others, if only in the quality of execution.
    coolfactorwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 39 of 43

Screams desperation, if you ask me. I found the ad confusing since it mentioned iPhone more than the Samsung. Now I'm thinking iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 43
    rezwits said:

You can't win um all...
    LOL. SAMSUNG ISNT KICKING apples anything. 

A sucky fold isn’t a performance metric. 

Samsung makes decent stuff. Just not up to apple par. 
    The point IS, you can't DENY that a Fold/Flip is a market segment, it's a category.

Apple needs to do a Flip and/or Fold "the Apple Way" i.e. CRUSH Samsung at their own game, and then in return have all the Samsung people say, yeah but Apple is copying us, we had them first blah blah blah, "the funny stuff" but Apple hasn't done this yet.

Doesn't matter if you DON'T want a flip or fold, it's just a part of the big picture...

BUT what is the Apple way?  Apple getting it done RIGHT!  No crease or seam, etc, perfected, and with OS features that make Samsung (people) whimper again to the alleys...  That's all.

Laters...