The Apple Car is highly rated by possible buyers before it exists

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    I was already preferring (and eager) to buy an Apple Car back in 2017, and was forced to buy something else instead. At least I got CarPlay. However now I live in a condo where I can't install an electric power station required for an all-electric car, so I wouldn't be able to own an electric vehicle anymore. You pretty much need your own garage to own an electric car, which leaves out roughly half the population (mostly the poorer half.)
    We charge our Bolt using a regular outlet (aka level 1 charger). It’s slower, but we can still add more miles over night than we typically use in the day. So you don’t necessarily need to install a level 2.

Of course, if your condo has no outdoor outlet close to where you park then level 1 won’t work either. 

I probably wouldn’t have an electric car if I couldn’t charge at home, either.
    darkvaderOferlarryawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    blastdoor said:
    I was already preferring (and eager) to buy an Apple Car back in 2017, and was forced to buy something else instead. At least I got CarPlay. However now I live in a condo where I can't install an electric power station required for an all-electric car, so I wouldn't be able to own an electric vehicle anymore. You pretty much need your own garage to own an electric car, which leaves out roughly half the population (mostly the poorer half.)
    We charge our Bolt using a regular outlet (aka level 1 charger). It’s slower, but we can still add more miles over night than we typically use in the day. So you don’t necessarily need to install a level 2.

Of course, if your condo has no outdoor outlet close to where you park then level 1 won’t work either. 

Well then don’t move to California as the state is ready to pass legislation banning fossil fueled vehicles by 2035. Excuses, excuses for not going electric, and irrational ones at that.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    lkrupp said:
    blastdoor said:

Well then don’t move to California as the state is ready to pass legislation banning fossil fueled vehicles by 2035. Excuses, excuses for not going electric, and irrational ones at that.
    That is NOT the policy being discussed.

The proposal is to halt sales of NEW fossil-fuel based vehicles in 2035. Existing fossil fuel based vehicles won't be prohibited nor will the sale of used ones. And they won't be turning people at the border either. They're not going to shut down gas stations on January 1st. It's not like the owners of 2034 Toyota Celicas will need to turn their keys in on New Year's Eve. A limited number of PHEVs (Plug-in Hybrids) will still be available.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/california-moves-accelerate-100-new-zero-emission-vehicle-sales-2035

Medium and heavy-duty vehicles will be given guidelines with a goal of phase out by 2045. Drayage trucks (like typical 18-wheelers that you see on the roads, Class 8 I believe) also have the 2035 target date at the moment.

So much misinformation in the comments section these days.

Appalling.
    edited September 2022 roundaboutnowMplsPdarkvaderOfermuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 24 of 38
    lkrupp said:
    Blathering nonsense. You won’t need a home charger when charging stations are as ubiquitous as gas stations, just like you don’t need a gasoline pump in your garage now. And battery technology will get to the point where it will take minutes, not hours to fully charge your car. Good grief.
    Oh, I see. My post is nonsense because some time in the future there will be more charging stations, and batteries will be quicker to charge. Gotcha. Give me a date for when those two things will happen, please.
    roundaboutnowlkruppOfermuthuk_vanalingamlarryawatto_cobraFileMakerFellerbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 25 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    jwdawso said:
    mpantone said:
    JP234 said:
    That doesn't look like virtually every other EV on the market, with that horrid plastic surfboard where the grille used to live?

What do you want? Steer horns? Pikachu? A mermaid?

It's obvious that this escapes you but that plastic surfboard cover provides better aerodynamics than the grille in gas powered cars. EVs don't really need that grille since there's no internal combustion engine in the front compartment that needs to be cooled via a radiator.

That hump in the middle of the passenger cabin? Not necessary for electric vehicles since there's no drive shaft that needs to turn a rear axle.

I know, I know, it looks weird without an exhaust pipe. Maybe some enterprising company has aftermarket kits that allow consumers to bolt on mock exhaust pipes.

Anything else you need explained about the differences between electric cars and their fossil fuel-powered antecedents?
    I’m not sure if you are being insulting, or just showing your agreement by being sarcastic. To my eye, many evs are ugly - I’m looking at you Tesla - with the remainder being mostly drab. This reminds me of the cellphone market when Apple first revealed the iPhone - “PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.” So we’ll have to see if Apple does enter the market with something extraordinary and “different”. 
    Every time I see someone say "that car is ugly!" my response is "don't buy it then." I can decide for myself if I like how a car looks without some random forum post telling me. If you care what I think of your car's aesthetics, well that's your problem.
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 38

"The Apple Car is highly rated by possible buyers before it exists"

Completely inaccurate headline. The survey asked whether people would consider an Apple Car. That's a big difference from rating it highly, and as has been pointed out it's strictly a measure of people's brand loyalty to Apple and Apple's reputation, all information that existed independent of this survey.
    darkvaderOferM68000watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 27 of 38
    blastdoor said:

There are plenty of people who have electric cars that can't charge at home. it's definitely not as convenient, though, and charging is generally more expensive so you lose a big advantage of an EV. Until the infrastructure is developed more there will be people for whom EVs just don't work well. That's how it is with every paradigm shift, though.

We definitely need laws to progress like @"avon b7" described. We were just looking at putting solar panels on our roof and the HOA refused. Among other things, they claimed it would decrease home values (it does the opposite) and "if one of the panel breaks you won't be able to get a matching one." Seriously? It was clear that the HOA board members are the same people who claim that EV's are worthless because the battery will die in 2 years and can't be replaced, and that the power grid collapse in TX was because wind turbines that don't work in the winter. Somehow all the wind turbines in Minnesota work fine all winter. Maybe it's because we have competent people maintaining them. 
    Oferwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 28 of 38
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    mpantone said:
    One thing that happens over time is that the number of free charging points decline as deployment becomes more widespread.

Places like car parks (parking garages for Yanks) are more useful than petrol stations unless the latter are the fast supercharger variety. Even then I'd rather have a supercharger quick charge my electric car while I'm grocery shopping or watching a movie rather than sitting in my vehicle at the petrol station for 30 minutes.

One thing that has emerged from publicly available charging stations is the penalty for using the charging station as a parking space. Naturally the vehicle operator pays for the electricity used to charge their vehicle but after the charging is complete, there's often a smaller time-based fee assessed if you don't remove the vehicle in a timely manner. This dissuades people from parking their electric vehicle at a charging station and then going away for a long weekend making the charger unavailable to anyone else.

I live in a Common Interest Development (CID, a.k.a. "condominium complex") where the property owners own their units but common spaces (like a swimming pool, parking lots, clubhouse, laundry rooms or garages) are managed by a property association, typically hired by the homeowners' association's (HOA) board of directors (which in turn are representative residents elected by other residents). While each unit has its own designated parking space, there is no simple way to get the correct power to each parking stall. The only legal way is to have the HOA create the charging stations and have the entire community share the initial costs. From a cost perspective, it's cheaper to put a group of charging stations together (like ten of them in a row) rather than 2 charging stations in five different locations around the complex since you're only digging one trench instead of five.

The last time this came up for vote, the residents shot down the proposal since it meant a special assessment (out of pocket) of about $5000 per unit for the one-time buildout costs.

If you have a single family dwelling entirely on your own real estate, this isn't a big challenge. It's more of an issue in CIDs and places with more stringent regulations. Each jurisdiction handles this differently.

So while you can have someone install an electric car charger in your building doesn't mean someone elsewhere can do so. Frequently it's a case by case scenario based on what regulations are in effect (which can always change).
    In the US, the majority of people (67%) live in single family homes.  Those are obviously going to be the easiest places to install EVSEs.  (And that's REALLY easy, I installed mine in about 2 hours, didn't even need a permit because the whole project cost me less than $100 with the local utility board rebate.  Now I've got a 40A EVSE in my driveway.)

Once there's enough EV market saturation, apartment complexes and condos will have no choice but to install EVSEs in parking areas, because gas stations will start to disappear and building codes will require them.
    Ofer
  • Reply 29 of 38
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    netrox said:
    Why are they still betting on Apple Car when we have no evidence of it happening? It seems like it's all centered on CarPlay, not the actual car itself.
    Yep.  There is no Apple car.  There's a really good chance there will never be an Apple car.  If there ever is an Apple car, it's at minimum a decade away.
    MplsP
  • Reply 30 of 38
    For those believing in Hydrogen, it needs to be way more efficient, Battery car is from electricity production to consumption 75% efficient, Hydrogen 35% …
    Also after filling up 5 hydrogen cars, the station needs to regenerate and so filling up takes more time after a while … Last but not least, in Norway they had some but they needed to close temporarily as one blew up, luckily no one was injured. 
    (Not all H2 is green, in fact today 95% is made by refraction of methane ;-))
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 38
    If my favourite car manufacturer persists in trying to sell my personal data to Google, I will buy an Apple car.
    Oferwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 32 of 38
    For those of us who remember the years of crazed speculation about the imminent release of an Apple TV... no, not the STB of today, but an actual flat panel television... the Apple Car feels very similar and I don't see it going forward for the same reason: it doesn't make sense. There was nothing Apple could offer in the way of the television, itself, that flat panel manufacturers weren't already offering. What Apple could offer was an improved "brain" of a television, if you will, and we eventually got the Apple TV STB. I haven't tried all the STBs or Smart TVs out there, but for me, the Apple TV runs rings around the other offerings that I have tried in terms of interface, speed and overall sound and picture quality. 

Which brings me to the Apple Car: a car is exponentially more complex to design and manufacture than a television set and Apple has zero expertise other than the people they've supposedly hired for the project, which seems to me like a constant revolving door of talent. Okay... so let's say Apple partners with an existing car company to manufacture the Apple Car, a completely credible possibility. STILL--setting aside the "brains" of the vehicle for a moment, what expertise does Apple bring to anything else that might better what exists at Mercedes, BMW, Toyota/Lexus, Hyundai, etc? Design? I love Apple's computer designs for their clean, minimal look, but there's an awful lot of clean and minimal already on the highways. I'm not convinced an Apple Car design will be exciting. 

Which brings us to Apple's real expertise, which is the electronics that run a vehicle and interface with the driver. CarPlay already blows away anything offered by manufacturers. So what about some super CarPlay system on steroids, as we've seen rumored? Well, have you driven a Tesla? I don't own one, but recently rented one for a week and I was blown away by the car/driver interface. Initially, I thought I was screwed, because there are no individual controls for anything, it's all through menus on its oversized screen, and we all know digging through menus to turn on your wipers can be SO much worse than actual physical knobs and buttons. Except you don't have to do this with a Tesla. The car responds brilliantly to voice commands for just about anything. And without the exact syntax you need to get the usual voice command systems in other cars to respond. Just speak what you want, however you want to say it and the car understands and does it--is there a better interface than that? I don't think so. The one fatal error of the Tesla, in my opinion, is that it's a closed system that doesn't integrate with iPhone (and possibly Android, too?), except to make calls. That, for me, makes Tesla a non-starter for purchase, but the voice command interface really is brilliant. 

But, hey, the above is just my opinion... I'm curious to read what others think that Apple could bring to a car, other than licensing some kind of super CarPlay operating system. 
    muthuk_vanalingamlarryawatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 33 of 38
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I suspect Apple is hewing to its usual practice of not releasing a product until the tech has caught up with what they believe an Apple product should offer.  I would think battery and self-driving technology are the laggards holding them back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    lkrupp said:
    Blathering nonsense. You won’t need a home charger when charging stations are as ubiquitous as gas stations, just like you don’t need a gasoline pump in your garage now. And battery technology will get to the point where it will take minutes, not hours to fully charge your car. Good grief.
    I think the original poster was talking about what is, not what one day may be. I’m surprised you didn’t use flying cars instead of just relying on non-existent battery technology to shoot down his arguments. 

The reality of buying a bev today is, going outside 1/2 of your range requires 15-60 minute stops to “refuel” at unreliable charging stations, and using it locally is a lot more practical with a home charging station. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    JP234 said:
    That doesn't look like virtually every other EV on the market

The frustrating part of all the EVs is that they all look like they wandered in from some bad SciFi film or in the case of Tesla, just look stark and cheap ( the interiors are hideous).

And BTW- Toyota’s new EV (also marketed as a Subaru) is undergoing a buyback because it has the potential for the wheels to fall off and they cannot figure a way to fix it. GM is still fighting fires with batteries, and many other teething issues with EVs.

In much of the country the charging infrastructure is simply not there at home or on the road. California is mandating an end to ICE tech even as they ask people to NOT charge the car up since the grid is already creaking.

• Reply 36 of 38
    darkvader said:
    netrox said:
    Why are they still betting on Apple Car when we have no evidence of it happening? It seems like it's all centered on CarPlay, not the actual car itself.
    Yep.  There is no Apple car.  There's a really good chance there will never be an Apple car.  If there ever is an Apple car, it's at minimum a decade away.
    And obviously it will be completely outclassed by the Microsoft car anyway. Just you wait.

/s
  • Reply 37 of 38
    I sure hope the resources required for building electric cars and their batteries somehow become more abundant by 2035.