There's hope that older Macs will be able to run macOS Ventura

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    lkrupp said:
    Pdybman said:
    JP234 said:
    Mystifies me why anyone would want to do this. Running newer MacOS systems on Macs Apple classifies as "vintage" or "obsolete." They ALWAYS, and I mean always, run poorly, sometimes terribly. I worked for an Apple VAR as a service writer (what Apple calls a genius, but no way I'd make that claim), and we got many people who wanted us to restore their old OS, which Apple does not make easy for consumers. (We had the means, and we charged $129 for it.)

If you can't afford a new Mac, or iOS device, just keep the last authorized OS. If there's a feature you just must have, then bite the bullet and get a new model that can use it. Just a cautionary tale from someone who has seen what these hacks can do.
    You are obviously unaware of the huge number of owners of the classical Mac Pro (last model mid-2012) that are able to run Monterey and Big Sur these days thanks to such enthusiasts and their workarounds!
    Huge numbers? Bullshit. Running current versions of macOS on old hardware is a futile exercise in vanity. The old hardware can’t take advantage of  many of the features of the current OS so you wind up with essentially the same features as the last available macOS for that old hardware. And the Intel code will be going away soon enough, leaving the hackintosh crowd and ‘Ventura on a 15 year old Mac’ in the Jurassic Epoch of the computer universe. But hey, there are still Amiga users out there, right? And Ford Model A clubs, right?

Definition of futile:

1serving no useful purpose completely ineffective.

Except it serves a useful purpose to many. So as usual you're wrong again. Just because you have your nose stuffed very far up a place where the sun doesn't shine, and feel the need to defend every last Apple move whether it is clearly for more profit or not, doesn't mean what you deem "futile" is such to others. Many many people use older hardware to great effect. You really need to chill out.
    muthuk_vanalingamboboliciousmarcotor949mikeybabes
  • Reply 22 of 27
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    lkrupp said:
    Pdybman said:
    JP234 said:
    Mystifies me why anyone would want to do this. Running newer MacOS systems on Macs Apple classifies as "vintage" or "obsolete." They ALWAYS, and I mean always, run poorly, sometimes terribly. I worked for an Apple VAR as a service writer (what Apple calls a genius, but no way I'd make that claim), and we got many people who wanted us to restore their old OS, which Apple does not make easy for consumers. (We had the means, and we charged $129 for it.)

If you can't afford a new Mac, or iOS device, just keep the last authorized OS. If there's a feature you just must have, then bite the bullet and get a new model that can use it. Just a cautionary tale from someone who has seen what these hacks can do.
    You are obviously unaware of the huge number of owners of the classical Mac Pro (last model mid-2012) that are able to run Monterey and Big Sur these days thanks to such enthusiasts and their workarounds!
    Huge numbers? Bullshit. Running current versions of macOS on old hardware is a futile exercise in vanity. The old hardware can’t take advantage of  many of the features of the current OS so you wind up with essentially the same features as the last available macOS for that old hardware. And the Intel code will be going away soon enough, leaving the hackintosh crowd and ‘Ventura on a 15 year old Mac’ in the Jurassic Epoch of the computer universe. But hey, there are still Amiga users out there, right? And Ford Model A clubs, right?
    But most don't need all the features of the  current versions of Mac OSes, in order for a Mac to be functional. The Mac just need to be able to run the software and browser users needs them to run. 

I have MacOS Monterey running on my "classic" 2010 White unibody MacBook, using the OpenCore Legacy Patcher. The MacBook last supported OS was High Sierra and I had no problem with having only the features included in that OS. I don't need all the fancy features on MacOS Monterey. What I need is to be able to run the latest Safari browser. If I can do this, that 2010 MacBook will serve over 75% of what I need a laptop for. 

With High Sierra, I would be stuck on a version of Safari that hasn't been supported since 2019. Meanwhile, Chrome would be now stuck on a version that was last updated in July of 2022. And FireFox been stuck on an older version of 78.x, but still gets security updates. I rather use Safari. Been using Safari on a Mac for over 20 years.  

For word processing, I don't need any more than Notes, Pages and Numbers. And they run fine with the older processors.  

I'm not editing videos with my 2010 MacBook laptop. Nor recording and mastering music or doing anything graphic intensive, like streaming HD videos. I can download photos and videos from my iCloud account (and directly off my iDevices) and view them in Photos, just fine. I can still play all my music in my Music library. (after importing my iTunes library, though I still miss iTunes.)

And guess what else i can do with MacOS Monterey on a 2010 MacBook. I can use the internal CD/DVD drive/burner. I can import CD's and burn music disc (CD and MP3) without connecting an external drive. Using VLC, I can play DVD's using the internal drive. 

I might not be able to have too many windows opened at once, but the few that I do have open, runs just fine when I switch between them. I installed the Monterey patcher on an SSD and installed 8GB RAM (Thinking of installing the max 16GB.)

I once had it running Mojave and Catalina using DosDude1 patch, but it was slow, though not unusable slow (for non graphic intensive use.). There was no form of graphics acceleration (hardware or software). Switching to Monterey with this OCL Patcher on my 2010 MacBook, is like going from a C2D to an i5. It's that much faster because there's some sort of software graphic acceleration incorporated in the patcher.

edited August 2022 muthuk_vanalingamelijahgwatto_cobraMrMalone
  • Reply 23 of 27
    The only reason to run a more recent OS on an old hardware is when some mainstream and indispensable applications dictate a minimum OS version. Otherwise tinkering just for the pleasure to "follow the trends" doesn't make sense,
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    keithwkeithw Posts: 141member
    This will be great for my wife's 2015 27" iMac which cannot be replaced by another iMac until Apple gets of their butts and releases a 27" ASi version.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    I still have very valid uses for Bootcamp that did not go away when Apple switched to the M processors, and running natively will always be faster than a VM. Plus Apple did some sneaky things when they moved off of Catalina. In other words, MacOS logs every time you run an app and stores a record of it at HQ. With Catalina you can turn it off. Monterey and later you cannot. So I’ll be sticking with Catalina (and security updates) for the foreseeable future. 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    elijahg said:
    lkrupp said:
    Pdybman said:
    JP234 said:

Definition of futile:

1: serving no useful purpose : completely ineffective.

Except it serves a useful purpose to many. So as usual you're wrong again. Just because you have your nose stuffed very far up a place where the sun doesn't shine, and feel the need to defend every last Apple move whether it is clearly for more profit or not, doesn't mean what you deem "futile" is such to others. Many many people use older hardware to great effect. You really need to chill out.
    I have a Mac Mini in late 2012 with a quad-core i7. 16GB memory. No OS out there needs more than this power. Most OSs and software are so pissing poorly written they only use up one core, and even a dual-core CPU is more than powerful enough for most general computing.
    It has an SSD as fast as Usain bolt. The GFX is shit, but I will not use it for games. The only reason not to support this is just bollocks programmers and that they want to just sell you the lovely new shiny items.
    It shows you that someone can hack or patch out what's needed means indeed Apple could do it in a heartbeat.

I would have gone the opposite way, and Apple let people try it and fall in love with the new OS features; it's slow, then perhaps an upgrade is on the horizon; as Steve Jobs once said, GIVE PEOPLE THE CHOICE.