Apple reportedly working on at least three AR, VR headsets

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2022
Apple's long-rumored VR headset and AR glasses could actually involve more than just two devices, with at least three of the head-mounted devices apparently in the works.

Rumors have circulated for years about Apple's augmented reality and virtual reality work, with headsets and the supposed Apple Glass being in development at the company. However, it seems that Apple may be working on more than just two headset-style devices.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg on Sunday, Apple's working on at least three headsets of the AR and VR variety. They are apparently under the codes "N301," "N421," and "N602."

The N301 is said to be the "Apple Reality Pro," a name for the headset that surfaced in trademark filings in late August. That headset is expected to be a mixed reality model that will take on the Meta Quest Pro, with a potential launch in 2023.

The N602 will apparently be the second-generation release, which will offer two variants to consumers. One will provide upgrades over the first model, while the other will be a lower-cost alternative.

The third, N421, will be less of a headset and closer to the idea of Apple Glass smart glasses.

Currently anticipated to be in an "advanced" stage of development, Apple's first headset launch could include a pair of 4K OLED displays, 15 camera modules dotted around the outside, and potential support for eye tracking and hand gestures. The first wave could also be an expensive headset, with prices up to $3,000 proposed.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I can't think of a use case for AR vs I can think of uses for VR. I guess we'll see how it all works out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I can't think of a use case for AR vs I can think of uses for VR. I guess we'll see how it all works out.
    AR is a much hard challenge than VR. I believe whatever Apple has in-store for AR will deliver the wow factor that will decisive point moving forward with AR as a new paradigm for consumer electronics. 
    lolliverwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I think uses cases for AR glasses is an easy one: any information in a heads up display can benefit all sorts of user environments like driving, work, social interactions, etc…but AR for large VR style goggles is harder to surmise. I’m sure AR games on a headset would be fantastic. The floor is lava. Remember how much emphasis Apple put on their AR Kit efforts with iPhone and iPad 3-4 years back when Keynotes demos were live? 
    Anilu_777watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 11
    The first wave could also be an expensive headset, with prices up to $3,000 proposed.
    I find it surprising that it would be priced this high. I remember all the price rumours for the iPad before it was first launched were really high. Then Apple announced it at a much lower price point than any of the rumours. 

While having the dominate market share never seems to be Apple’s focus they do need to sell enough units to make it worth entering a new market. The scrapped the first HomePod soon after launching the mini because the original wasn’t selling in high enough volumes. Their wearables/iPhone/iPads all sell in high volumes. I can’t imagine a VR or AR headset priced at $3,000 would sell in high enough volume for Apple to consider it worthwhile entering that market. 
    watto_cobrafreeassociate2muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I think uses cases for AR glasses is an easy one: any information in a heads up display can benefit all sorts of user environments like driving, work, social interactions, etc…but AR for large VR style goggles is harder to surmise. I’m sure AR games on a headset would be fantastic. The floor is lava. Remember how much emphasis Apple put on their AR Kit efforts with iPhone and iPad 3-4 years back when Keynotes demos were live? 
    That’s what was going through my mind. I never found a use case for me using ARKit. There is the built is Measure app and I have heard of stuff like floor plans for homes and game apps that use it. But I never found a use for it.    
    Anilu_777watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I see a valid use for AR.  Imagine your wearing apple glass or smart glass that just look like Regular eye glasses.  Imagine walking down a busy city street and having your glasses see coupons and social media for local establishments.  Seeing people say on tinder or match or instagram or tik tok  as you walk by them and be able to connect with people without having to actually talk with anyone.  Think of it as an upgraded version of airdrop. Using NFC technology.  Or being able to see Waze telling you where to turn.  

I see these AR eye glasses eventually replacing the regular screen on our iPhones. 
    edited September 2022 Anilu_777
  • Reply 7 of 11
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    AR on the iPhone isn’t very compelling but I think that’s mostly because it’s the wrong form factor. Goggles/glasses could be completely different.

I’ll definitely try out the first version in an apple store. I think it’s plausible that I’d buy it.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 11
    JP234 said:
    I'll take my reality without augmentation or virtualization thanks. My poor old brain can't even process 1% of the unenhanced reality around me.
    You say that, but there were similar attitudes about why anyone would ever want a phone without a keyboard or a computer that fits in a pocket - and now "everyone" has one.

I see AR as a great way to reduce the cognitive load of dealing with the world. Imagine this: your wife is looking at you meaningfully after you just said something that clearly indicated you've forgotten Something Important (TM) that she told you. Your device recognises the look and replays your five most recent conversations (for your ears only), or displays a text description of key events that you had a conversation about in the past week (which it kept track of by processing the audio it passed through to you and applying some algorithmic smarts to the converted text), or brings up your shared family calendar, or...

That right there is going to be worth the price of admission for some folks.
    freeassociate2
  • Reply 9 of 11
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    JP234 said:
    I'll take my reality without augmentation or virtualization thanks. My poor old brain can't even process 1% of the unenhanced reality around me.
    You say that, but there were similar attitudes about why anyone would ever want a phone without a keyboard or a computer that fits in a pocket - and now "everyone" has one.

I see AR as a great way to reduce the cognitive load of dealing with the world. Imagine this: your wife is looking at you meaningfully after you just said something that clearly indicated you've forgotten Something Important (TM) that she told you. Your device recognises the look and replays your five most recent conversations (for your ears only), or displays a text description of key events that you had a conversation about in the past week (which it kept track of by processing the audio it passed through to you and applying some algorithmic smarts to the converted text), or brings up your shared family calendar, or...

That right there is going to be worth the price of admission for some folks.
    I'm sure she'll appreciate not being able to see your eyes looking at her when she reminds you of what she said more than once before. Word to the wise for future selves: if she's talking to you, take the AR/VR off. Inactions have consequences as well. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    For those of us who already wear eyeglasses, augmented reality use cases are easy to imagine, though in many cases much, much more difficult to implement.  Magnification on demand, walking/hiking/biking directions without needing to glance at a phone, shopping list management, airport navigation, to-do lists, air quality and weather alerts, etc.
    doozydozen