Brazil stops iPhone sales until Apple includes an AC charger

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2022
Brazil's Ministry of Justice has fined Apple $2.3 million and halted iPhone 13 sales until the company once again includes a charger in the box.

The iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max
The iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Apple stopped including a charger or EarPods in iPhone packages starting with the iPhone 12 in October 2020, saying that the move was better for the environment. This change was to help Apple reach its goal of a 100% carbon neutral footprint by 2030.

Brazil has been against that move from the start, and the iPhone 13 is no exception.

"Application of a fine penalty in the amount of R$ 12,274,500 (twelve million two hundred and seventy-four thousand five hundred reais), revocation of registration of iPhone brand smartphones introduced to the market from the iPhone 12 model and immediate suspension of the supply of all iPhone brand smartphones, regardless of the model or generation, unaccompanied by the battery charger," according to the order published in the Official Gazette of the Union.

The Ministry of Justice won't immediately apply the fine. It will move forward if it suspects that Apple has attempted to circumvent the sales ban -- and the iPhone 14 isn't expected to include one.

Brazil levied a similar fine against Apple in 2021 from the consumer protection regulator Procon-SP. At that time, the fine of R$10,546,442 ($1.9 million) was imposed along with accusations of false advertising. The agency alleged that Apple sold devices with factory defects and failed to repair devices under warranty.

At the time, Apple failed to convince the regulator of its argument that not including a charger in the iPhone box was better for the environment, and that most consumers already had a charger.

Apple was ultimately forced to include chargers with iPhone 12 packages sold in the Brazilian state of Sao Paulo.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Why not just include a charger in the purchase for those who request one, and for others who don’t need one, no charger required. 
    doozydozendiz_geekiqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Apple took the charger out of the box for the iPhone 12 if Brazil had an issue with this why are we doing it now and not for the first time they took the charger out of the box
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Price for Brazil iPhone by default includes charger. If someone don't want it than give deduction/rebate for charger in final price on invoice.
    byronlwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Brazil put a price on wokeness, good.

Apple is so concerned about the environment they don't include a charger or earphones in their $1,000+ devices. 

At the same time, they make products that can't be repaired and need to be replaced wholesale. Example my XS face ID crystal broke, turns out, that cannot be fixed or replaced. At all. Not by Apple or anyone else. Either you use the phone without, or you throw it away. 

What @wood said is a simple solution but Apple won't do that because they're hypocrites. Apple used to be a good company under Steve Jobs - at that time, critics were saying the same thing. Back then they were not right. Today they are.

I also don't think the environment argument has merit - let's say Apple ships 1000x less chargers, OK, fair enough, but people are going to buy 100x more 3rd party chargers, most of which are way more polluting than what Apple is making in its closely monitored factores, and some of these 3rd party chargers will destroy the iPhones, leading to more waste. i think in the end nothing will have been saved. Except the carbon neutral rating, congratulations, hypocrites! 

wood1208 said:
    Price for Brazil iPhone by default includes charger. If someone don't want it than give deduction/rebate for charger in final price on invoice.

rrabubyronlmobirdwilliamlondonentropys
  • Reply 5 of 35
    omasouomasou Posts: 564member

Apple is so concerned about the environment they don't include a charger or earphones in their $1,000+ devices. 

At the same time, they make products that can't be repaired and need to be replaced wholesale. Example my XS face ID crystal broke, turns out, that cannot be fixed or replaced. At all. Not by Apple or anyone else. Either you use the phone without, or you throw it away. 

What @wood said is a simple solution but Apple won't do that because they're hypocrites. Apple used to be a good company under Steve Jobs - at that time, critics were saying the same thing. Back then they were not right. Today they are.

I also don't think the environment argument has merit - let's say Apple ships 1000x less chargers, OK, fair enough, but people are going to buy 100x more 3rd party chargers, most of which are way more polluting than what Apple is making in its closely monitored factores, and some of these 3rd party chargers will destroy the iPhones, leading to more waste. i think in the end nothing will have been saved. Except the carbon neutral rating, congratulations, hypocrites! 

wood1208 said:

You can always switch to Android. Perhaps the grass is greener over there /s
    scstrrffreeassociate2mwhitedoozydozenbyronllollivermac_dogbaconstangbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 35
    omasouomasou Posts: 564member
    It's really pitiful how the world governments are taking on the US mentality of suing to get what they want.

Do they really care or is this their way to extort money from successful companies to balance their local budgets?

Hey Brazil...No iPhones for you!
    scstrrfdoozydozenwilliamlondonlolliverJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Since the concept of not including a charger began with an EU directive that will come into force before too long, Apple, Samsung and others are not goi g to be allowed to sell phones with charger at all. So what will Brazil do then, stop all smartphone sales there?
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    mccargos said:
    Apple took the charger out of the box for the iPhone 12 if Brazil had an issue with this why are we doing it now and not for the first time they took the charger out of the box
    Because issues are based on long term research of customer base - not on immediate moods and liking or disliking. Apparently this make sense and there is problem with not having charger.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 35
    omasou said:

wood1208 said:

What is your point? There is no logic in what you suggesting. He wants iPhone with charger - not Android. Can  you have better, more mature recommendations?

For the record, I switched to Android 3 years ago... for reason of Apple and individuals like yourself arrogance. Listening pays off, poor quality screen that does not respond to drier older person finger tips does not. LG at the time defeated both Apple and Samsung with of model I bought. Now, I hear Apple is going to use those LG displays. Well too late for me. I will consider all smartphone options and not only iPhone.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 35
    omasou said:
    It's really pitiful how the world governments are taking on the US mentality of suing to get what they want.

Do they really care or is this their way to extort money from successful companies to balance their local budgets?

Hey Brazil...No iPhones for you!
    That is a loss. People cannot live without iPhones. It is the only way to live. Do nt forget taking one to restroom or...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Brazil's Ministry of Justice has fined Apple $2.3 million and halted iPhone 13 sales until the company once again includes a charger in the box.
    Does the charger actually have to be in the box or just available with the purchase at no extra cost?

If I had the choice I would choose no charger or cable since I have plenty of both already. However, my BIL just switched to an iPhone and needed to purchase both separately. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    omasou said:

wood1208 said:

What is your point? There is no logic in what you suggesting. He wants iPhone with charger - not Android. Can  you have better, more mature recommendations?

For the record, I switched to Android 3 years ago... for reason of Apple and individuals like yourself arrogance. Listening pays off, poor quality screen that does not respond to drier older person finger tips does not. LG at the time defeated both Apple and Samsung with of model I bought. Now, I hear Apple is going to use those LG displays. Well too late for me. I will consider all smartphone options and not only iPhone.
    I’m confused: since neither of you seem to express so-called adult opinions, and both of you seem to have a number of axes to grind, and pretty much no one will respond to you — you’re both just here to be trolls? Don’t you have some Incel parties to go to or something? I just can’t image a life where my sole purpose was bringing my misery and self-loathing everywhere with me. Is that fun? Help me understand. 
    Spitbathwinstoner71AniMillwilliamlondonlolliverbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Does the charger actually have to be in the box or just available with the purchase at no extra cost?

If I had the choice I would choose no charger or cable since I have plenty of both already. However, my BIL just switched to an iPhone and needed to purchase both separately. 
    I think you're mistaken about needing to purchase "both".  Apple still includes a cable in the box & always have.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    wood1208 said:
    Apple in Brazil should just set prices that include the 20W charging adaptor (aka charger) and include an option for a credit if you don’t want the 20W adaptor. And, then allow you to add a MagSafe charger or a higher Wattage adaptor if you want one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    nicholfd said:

I think you're mistaken about needing to purchase "both".  Apple still includes a cable in the box & always have.
    Yes and no. You are correct, that the cable comes in the box. However, the charger he was sold was USB-A and the sales person explained that the cable in the box wouldn’t work with it. A tricky way for the Verizon rep to pad his sales. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    AllOFUS said:
    Nobody cares about this nonsense goal that Apple has set for itself - “100 carbon neutral “. We are taking a overdose of this “climate change” argument. Best example of an argument is “Water levels are rising everywhere and cities are going to be submerged” if one just searches on the internet, you will realize the earth always has gone through phases forever and cities have been submerged for 1000s of years ahead, What carbon emission was then? Cars or factories 1000s of years back? Wake up. 
    Donald, is that you? 
    williamlondonlolliverJaiOh81baconstangJP234
  • Reply 17 of 35
    AllOFUS said:
    Nobody cares about this nonsense goal that Apple has set for itself - “100 carbon neutral “. We are taking a overdose of this “climate change” argument. Best example of an argument is “Water levels are rising everywhere and cities are going to be submerged” if one just searches on the internet, you will realize the earth always has gone through phases forever and cities have been submerged for 1000s of years ahead, What carbon emission was then? Cars or factories 1000s of years back? Wake up. 
    Most of what we think of as “carbon emission” comes from combustion, a.k.a. fire, which is believed to have existed even thousands of years ago. Sometimes very large fires are caused by natural phenomena such as lightning.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 35

wood1208 said:

Seriously, why are you even giving your money to Apple if you hate them so much? Go buy an Android... and save us your complaints.  ;)

I applaud Apple for removing the charger, but maybe a middle-ground solution is needed, such as offering the phone with or without a charger. I personally would choose without since I don't need more chargers cluttering up my life.
    JaiOh81baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Terrible decision,

Now Apple will raise the prices for the iPhone in Brazil, and include a charger.

Zero benefits for everyone, and a loss for the environment. 

And what about all the manufacturers that also sell high end models with no charger?
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I would have more sympathy for Apple if on launch, the price of the iPhone fell by the value of the charger.
    muthuk_vanalingam