YouTube TV adds 5.1 audio for Apple TV hardware

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
In a Tuesday update, Google's YouTube TV app has added 5.1 audio to not just the Apple TV, but also Fire TV hardware.

Apple's 2021 Apple TV 4K with new Siri Remote
Apple's 2021 Apple TV 4K with new Siri Remote

The video streaming service announced the upgrade simply, in a Tweet. The 5.1 support extends to "compatible YouTube TV content," adding that is is on live, DVR, and video on-demand content.

Many smart televisions, including Vizio, LG, and Samsung screens have had the capability since launch. Streaming hardware like Google TV, and Android TV hardware was added in June 2022.

5.1 Audio Update! We now support 5.1 audio on Apple TV & Fire TV devices for compatible YouTube TV content (live, DVR, & video on-demand).

If you're a game console user, we're working on getting this available to you as soon as possible, and will share live updates here. pic.twitter.com/8Pmxrt1WqU

— YouTube TV (@YouTubeTV)
Of course, the content must be mixed for 5.1 audio. A compatible stereo system must be connected as well.

The frequently asked questions for the platform has not as of yet been updated to reflect the new support.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Suppose at some point, Apple TV and rest of Apple hardware will need to support AV1 ?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Nice. I have YouTube TV and have one of my TV is connected to a 5.1 system. 
  • Reply 3 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Need to support AV1? I guess Apple could support AV1, but really, why bother? 
  • Reply 4 of 14
    The YouTubeTV update is a bit glitchy. Hopefully an updated update will come out soon. 
    StrangeDaysScot1
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    wood1208 said:
    Suppose at some point, Apple TV and rest of Apple hardware will need to support AV1 ?
    It seems likely. In addition to any technical benefits it's also royalty free.

I would expect official AV1 support to coincide with new devices that have AV1 hardware decoding capability especially since mobile devices have battery life concerns meaning an A-series SoC that supports AV1. The M2 doesn't have AV1 hardware decoding support, so maybe M3?

AV1 is pretty new anyhow, Apple is rarely the early adopter in this type of technology. My guess is they have prototype chips in their labs with AV1 hardware decoding capabilities though.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Is anyone else getting blacking out between programs and ads on the ATV YouTube app?
    Scot1ricmac
  • Reply 7 of 14
    entropys said:
    Is anyone else getting blacking out between programs and ads on the ATV YouTube app?
    Yes, it has started happening pretty often now. I need to rewind to the beginning of the program after the ad because of the blacking out.
    Scot1
  • Reply 8 of 14
    entropys said:
    yes... has been since the 20220823 update. Very annoying. I have regularly send feedback (just to flood the feedback feed as a revenge although it does me harm than the feedback bots  :D

It affects video with ads at the start but sometimes mid-stream as well (my experience). Add-free videos are fine
    Scot1
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ilarynx said:
    The YouTubeTV update is a bit glitchy. Hopefully an updated update will come out soon. 
    Yes the prior recent release introduced awful accidental screen blanking during the roll-in of commercials and then also with the content.
    Scot1
  • Reply 10 of 14
    entropys said:
    Yep, it’s annoying as well. In my experience apps that roll their own video player (YouTube, Amazon, HBO versions) are much more likely to have buggier, crappier experiences than apps that wisely use the native video controls.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    ilarynx said:
    Yes the prior recent release introduced awful accidental screen blanking during the roll-in of commercials and then also with the content.
    I thought it had something to do with the installation of my new receiver. I am experiencing horrible glitches and blank screens when YouTube goes to commercials. Sometimes I have to back out of YouTube and restart again.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    On the Apple Discussions Communities the consensus is that this is caused by the frame rate changing between content and ads. Several have pointed out that if you turn off ‘Match Frame Rate’ in ATV settings the problem goes away. I can confirm that this does work but I am loath to do this just for skank YouTube.
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 13 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    There was a post this morning informing users that a licensing error originating outside of Youtube was responsible for blank screens and blackouts last evening. Should all be back to normal (?!) now according to the report. 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Anyone know how to force an update? It’s weird, I have auto updates on, but even if I go to the App Store it only shows the previous version (the date is from August). Tried restarting the ATV and same, figured that might clear the App Store cache or whatever but no dice. 

I had been actually wondering if YouTube even supports surround, so happy for this update. But also yes the fucking ads/blackout shit is annoying af.  

EDIT: Oh, this is for the YouTube *TV* app. Nm.
    edited September 2022