Apple unveils iPhone 14 Pro & iPhone 14 Pro Max with always-on display

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2022
Apple has launched its high-end iPhone 14 Pro models, each gaining the A16 plus improved cameras -- and losing the notch in favor of a pill called the Dynamic Island.

The Dynamic Island makes alerts part of the sensor housing
The Dynamic Island makes alerts part of the sensor housing

The new iPhone Pro is the core of Apple's September 7 "Far Out" event, and the two high-end models have seen the greatest difference since 2021's iPhone 13 range. As expected, only the Pro models have gained Apple's A16 processor, so for the first time, the Pro models will be running on a newer chip than the regular iPhone lineup.

Apple has introduced an always-on display that shows content even when the phone is left inactive. Live Activities, the clock, widgets, and dynamic wallpapers will dim but still be readable using a 1Hz refresh rate.

The new Super Retina XDR display has an HDR brightness at 1600 nits, same as the Pro Display XDR. It peaks out at 2,000 nits on a bright day.

Notifications fit behind the Dynamic Island, which is what Apple is calling the new Face ID sensor housing. Animations and transitions use the sensor housing as a base for showing content that adapts to app events.

The A16 Bionic is more powerful while being more efficient. It uses a 5-core GPU for intensive graphical tasks.

Crash detection is also possible for the iPhone 14 Pro thanks to advanced gyroscopes. Apple also included a new satellite feature for making SOS communications in environments where cellular signal isn't available.

The main camera sensor is 48MP
The main camera sensor is 48MP

The main camera uses a new 48MP sensor that can capture photos in sharp 12MP image sizes. It combines four pixels into one large photo pixel to give it more light capture capability.

The larger sensor size also enables a 2x zoom at full size, thanks to cropping into the 48MP sensor without sacrificing quality. When using ProRAW, users can take full sized 48MP photos.

The Ultra Wide camera remains 12MP but has 3x more light capture capability. This allows for much better macro photography.

Cinematic mode can shoot in full 4K at 30fps thanks to the new image signal processor.

Notifications, app information, and more show up in the Dynamic Island
Notifications, app information, and more show up in the Dynamic Island

"Our customers count on their iPhone every day, and with iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, we're delivering more advancements than any other iPhone. iPhone 14 Pro introduces a camera system that empowers every user -- from the casual user to the professional -- to take their best photos and video, and innovative new technologies like the Always-On display and the Dynamic Island, which offers new interactions for notifications and activities," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Groundbreaking safety capabilities bring users even more security, offering help when they need it most. And with the incredibly powerful and efficient A16 Bionic chip and all-day battery life, this is the best iPhone yet."

The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max come in Space Black, Silver, Gold, and Deep Purple colors.

Customers can purchase the iPhone 14 Pro starting at $999 and the iPhone 14 Pro Max starting at $1,099. Pre-orders begin on September 9, with orders shipping on September 16.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    On first look, it's not jarring or ugly to me.

Designs change and sometimes to avoid becoming 'stale' they can be refreshing in their own way. Just a change almost for the sake of change. 

Whether it's practical or functional or not is a different consideration but I'll give it the nod on first look at the image here.

The name is silly though. 
    edited September 2022 gilly33
  • Reply 2 of 58
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Damn, the biggest surprises I’ve seen today were all related to price. 
    scstrrfdewmebeowulfschmidtStrangeDaysanantksundaramgrandact73MplsPmacxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 58
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    We're on the right track, and I'd be interested...but for the lightning port. I don't need this upgrade, so I'll likely be waiting another cycle. Maybe the iP15 comes with USB-C (or no port at all) and the always on lockscreen and dynamic island. 

Maybe shop a deal in a few months, and weigh vs. trade in value. But it isn't an immediate press the buy button kind of day. Kinda disappointed.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Here we go again with the sharp edges, and now a pill. Apple, you can do better than this! You have known for years that we all want round edges and no notch, no pill, NOTHING but screen. And you CAN build it. You did it many years ago with the MacBook Pro front camera. You can do it with the iPhone now. Stop playing with camera sensors and other crap, and making customers buy worthless devices for years before you complete what we all really want.

Again… ROUND EDGES & TOTAL SCREEN. No holes, no pill, no notches!!!!!! When you build that iPhone, THEN I’ll upgrade my weak SE. Well be waiting. 
    Priaptor1williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 58
    rumpels said:
    Here we go again with the sharp edges, and now a pill. Apple, you can do better than this! You have known for years that we all want round edges and no notch, no pill, NOTHING but screen. And you CAN build it. You did it many years ago with the MacBook Pro front camera. You can do it with the iPhone now. Stop playing with camera sensors and other crap, and making customers buy worthless devices for years before you complete what we all really want.

Again… ROUND EDGES & TOTAL SCREEN. No holes, no pill, no notches!!!!!! When you build that iPhone, THEN I’ll upgrade my weak SE. Well be waiting. 
    I'm not so sure they CAN build it. Takes factories with workers and parts that come from...factories with workers. You know...the workers that have been dealing with a pandemic for a couple years. 

But yeah, I sorta got the impression Apple announced the phone they can make right now. And it kinda isn't the phone i'm willing to pay to upgrade to...right now.
    entropysrumpels
  • Reply 6 of 58
    rumpels said:
    we all want round edges 
    We do? I admit, there were lots of reasons why I upgraded from an iPhone 11 to an iPhone 13 Pro earlier this year (mostly camera related), but one of them absolutely was to get the slab-sides physical form. For me, at least, I find it far more pleasant to hold. I didn't hate the rolled edge of the 11 or anything, but I didn't love it, either. 
    OferapplebynatureStrangeDaysdesignranantksundaramgrandact73jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 58
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Japhey said:
    Damn, the biggest surprises I’ve seen today were all related to price. 
    Not in the UK, the smaller pro is up by 16%!!

Would have been a great replacement for my X even at £999 but not sure @ £1,099.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 58
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,419member
    I really love the dynamic island. It's so Apple-like. It's all about embracing the functionality with form. 

But it's still using Lighting port??? 

I'll just wait for next year. 
    gilly33Oferentropysappleinsiderusergrandact73
  • Reply 9 of 58
    New Apple products are always nice, but what a boring show this was  😵‍💫
    Priaptor1williamlondonamarkap
  • Reply 10 of 58
    “Dynamic island?”

what… they didn’t want to go with… “lozenge?”

there’s just no way to win this one. 

Still, preferable to the notch. 
  • Reply 11 of 58
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    eightzero said:
    We're on the right track, and I'd be interested...but for the lightning port. I don't need this upgrade, so I'll likely be waiting another cycle. Maybe the iP15 comes with USB-C (or no port at all) and the always on lockscreen and dynamic island. 

In your attempt to claim you won't upgrade because of the Lightning connector, you hurt your own argument by saying that "no port at all" would also be acceptable.
    If you really wanted the supposed benefits of a USB-C port, then having no port at all certainly wouldn't provide them. Therefore, if you were really considering an upgrade, the port would not be part of your decision process.
    jcs2305napoleon_phoneapartapplebynatureStrangeDaysanantksundaramAlex1Nright_said_fredwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 58
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Satellite connectivity for the win. Getting stranded in the boonies is no fun. 
    danoxackpfftwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 58
    I can’t believe they didn’t change to USBC - that alone is the only reason I need to skip this model, such a horrible decision. Hard pass. 
    grandact73
  • Reply 14 of 58
    mike1 said:
    eightzero said:

In your attempt to claim you won't upgrade because of the Lightning connector, you hurt your own argument by saying that "no port at all" would also be acceptable.
    If you really wanted the supposed benefits of a USB-C port, then having no port at all certainly wouldn't provide them. Therefore, if you were really considering an upgrade, the port would not be part of your decision process.
    I wasn't arguing, nor being persuasive. One choose the features one values, and merely expressing my reaction and evaluation for my own purposes. I presumed that a portless iPhone will have additional features to make it all work; maybe even including some headphone features like a BT adapter. Maybe not, but I don't value a new iPhone right now that has a lightning port. I'm waiting, at least for now. You are free to do as you wish.; other than criticize my choices, something I do not value. 

Didn't see anything in Apple Watch land that was really attractive. I'm lukewarm about in-ear audio devices. They are comfortable, but maybe these are different. I don't like the idea of one falling out in the middle of a workout, go flying off while active.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 58
    Priaptor1Priaptor1 Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    First 2 year refresh (for me) I won’t be upgrading. Nothing there. I was hoping for better AirPod Pros but even those were underwhelming. However I need a new pair and will be buying. Even the old Pros were the best so incremental upgrade is ok. I can’t imagine these products are going to give them a super cycle refresh buying frenzy. We will see 
    alphafoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 58
    mike1 said:
    eightzero said:

@mike1 ;
    Well I’m still on iPhone6s+ and do have lightening port issues.  I finally read a blog by an electrical engineer that explained the carbon build up on the plug.  I’ve had the battery replaced twice by Apple.  Apple refused to replace the lightening port, Apple employee at Genius Bar said it wasn’t possible. Drove 10 minutes down the street to a strip mall with the cell phone repair shop; he said it wasn’t the lightning port but he was willing to do it for 40 US dollars.  Guess what it was the lightning port. Been working just fine now for three years. I get about 6 months out of my Apple lightening plug wires before the carbon builds up.  I do love my iPad Pro with the M1 chip. I love the USB-C plug on it. So if my iPhone 6s+ can last another year I’ll wait. I thought the European Union was kind of forcing Apple to use the USB-C port; I could be wrong.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Priaptor1Priaptor1 Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    JP234 said:
    Well, that was a great show! Don't need an upgrade just yet, but it's good to see what's going to be available. The most interesting iPhone features to me were the Satellite SOS and Crash Decection. Seems like the camera has become the main focus of present and future upgrades. Not quite ready to ditch the DSLR and all those expensive lenses yet, though. Sure would like to see camera makers like Sony, Nikon and Canon with the ability to upload photos directly to my iCloud account!
    Well to the contrary, the biggest introduction TODAY had nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Hasselblad. Amazing and gorgeous new 100 megapixel MF camera, with 3 new fast leaf shutter lenses. With prices increasing as they are, the iPhone may soon surpass the Hassy
    williamlondonJP234
  • Reply 18 of 58
    rumpels said:

Your going to probably have a long wait, if Apple could technically eliminate that, they probably would have by now...
    danoxStrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 58
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,844member
    avon b7 said:
    On first look, it's not jarring or ugly to me.

Designs change and sometimes to avoid becoming 'stale' they can be refreshing in their own way. Just a change almost for the sake of change. 

Whether it's practical or functional or not is a different consideration but I'll give it the nod on first look at the image here.

The name is silly though. 
    Looks way better than the notch iPhone, soon even the oblong pill will be gone……..
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 20 of 58
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,844member
    alphafox said:
    I can’t believe they didn’t change to USBC - that alone is the only reason I need to skip this model, such a horrible decision. Hard pass. 
    Other than the EU no one out there, the average user cares about the input.
    beowulfschmidtStrangeDaysDogpersonjony0