Apple unveils iPhone 14 Pro & iPhone 14 Pro Max with always-on display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    eightzero said:
    We're on the right track, and I'd be interested...but for the lightning port. I don't need this upgrade, so I'll likely be waiting another cycle. Maybe the iP15 comes with USB-C (or no port at all) and the always on lockscreen and dynamic island. 

Maybe shop a deal in a few months, and weigh vs. trade in value. But it isn't an immediate press the buy button kind of day. Kinda disappointed.
    No wired port (wireless) would be a disaster in a car or truck don’t trust any of the car makers at all.
    Dogperson
  • Reply 22 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Nothing earth shattering about the fourteens, but a solid upgrade over last year's model across the board - except for the mini. If I still had a button & chin iPhone of any sort I'd be booking an appointment today with the Apple Store or my wireless carrier and jumping in on one these new models.

Very nice of Apple to hold the price on the upgraded products when it would have been so easy to justify raising the prices on all of these products just because "everyone else is doing it." I hope Apple's actions compel other product vendors to follow the leader.

The "Dynamic Island" is a brilliant technical and marketing ploy. Not only did Apple "embrace the notch," they supersized the notch's prominence and found a way to make the notch appear as an intentional feature. Did not see that coming! But you know what, it does kind of work despite the ultra goofy name. Watching the videos that highlighted the Dynamic Island in all of its different shapes and sizes was like watching an old time Burlesque show where the dancer uses feathers to carefully hide the naughty bits as she dances around. Every one of the growing and shrinking renderings of the Dynamic Island perfectly avoided placing any content in the actual notch part of fantasy/dynamic island. Even though the notch is still there, it's always hidden in the black and fades into the island's black background as if there is barely a notch there at all. Very clever.

Personally, the notch never bothered me at all and the Dynamic Island concept allows the notch to stand loud and proud and unapologetically claim its rightful place atop the iPhone's display. Long live the notch.
    DogpersonAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 58
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    JP234 said:
    Well, that was a great show! Don't need an upgrade just yet, but it's good to see what's going to be available. The most interesting iPhone features to me were the Satellite SOS and Crash Decection. Seems like the camera has become the main focus of present and future upgrades. Not quite ready to ditch the DSLR and all those expensive lenses yet, though. Sure would like to see camera makers like Sony, Nikon and Canon with the ability to upload photos directly to my iCloud account!
    I concur it was interesting to see what is going to be available, but it kinda wasn't a great show. This is for sure the most picky comment you'll read here, but when Tim started with announcing literally in his first breath that this was about Apple Watch, AirPods, and iPhone, all the suspense was gone. No "one more thing" or something to keep hoping for at the end. Overused "magical" "best lineup ev-ar" yet another "look how good for the environment" screens...and I don't get the "far out" connection at all. The satellite stuff? And oh...the bear is still stalking that guy when he's explaining how his watch saved him? Guess he's still waiting for 911 to show up and shoot it. So great for the environment the damn bear was inhabiting first. Yeah...there's a fine line between comedic presentation and corny. 
    beowulfschmidtAlex1Nwilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Getting rid of the SIM tray is a stupid move. In a world of open standards, where SIM cards are still used everywhere in the world, why move to esims only? The old model where you had both esim and physical SIM tray was the best option and gave customers choice. Apple's reasoning around multiple esims and security is nonsense. They could have multiple esims and a physical SIM tray if they wanted. If people wanted security then use an esim, if they wanted convenience then use their physical SIM card.
    I wonder if this move is related to Apple bowing to pressure from US carriers who don't want people to avoid roaming costs by using a local country SIM card when they travel? If so, it opens up another antitrust issue that Apple could do without.
    Alex1Nwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 25 of 58
    danox said:
    eightzero said:
    We're on the right track, and I'd be interested...but for the lightning port. I don't need this upgrade, so I'll likely be waiting another cycle. Maybe the iP15 comes with USB-C (or no port at all) and the always on lockscreen and dynamic island. 

Maybe shop a deal in a few months, and weigh vs. trade in value. But it isn't an immediate press the buy button kind of day. Kinda disappointed.
    No wired port (wireless) would be a disaster in a car or truck don’t trust any of the car makers at all.
    True. WWDC had some material on carplay and I had forgotten this. Maybe portless iPhone has some sorta new dongle thingy. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 58
    danox said:
    alphafox said:
    I can’t believe they didn’t change to USBC - that alone is the only reason I need to skip this model, such a horrible decision. Hard pass. 
    Other than the EU no one out there, the average user cares about the input.
    Well....you're wrong. Me and Danox do. 
  • Reply 27 of 58
    neoncat said:
    rumpels said:
    we all want round edges 
    We do? I admit, there were lots of reasons why I upgraded from an iPhone 11 to an iPhone 13 Pro earlier this year (mostly camera related), but one of them absolutely was to get the slab-sides physical form. For me, at least, I find it far more pleasant to hold. I didn't hate the rolled edge of the 11 or anything, but I didn't love it, either. 
    Yeah, I don't want round edges anymore either.  Been there, done that, prefer squared one.

For the first time ever, I considered upgrading to a "Pro" model of phone.  I probably still won't, because I didn't see any other truly compelling reasons to set aside my 11, but it's kind of tempting.  I'll have to see what, if anything, any later event brings with regard to iPad Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 58
    JFC_PA said:
    Satellite connectivity for the win. Getting stranded in the boonies is no fun. 
    Satellite phone rentals are pretty inexpensive, and probably a better deal for most people.  Of course, if you're going to be getting a new phone anyway, it's certainly a nice feature to have.  At least, for the first two years after purchase.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 58

Crash detection is also possible for the iPhone 14 Pro thanks to advanced gyroscopes. Apple also included a new satellite feature for making SOS communications in environments where cellular signal isn't available.

Read on AppleInsider

I love the idea of crash detection, but that demo was kinda hokey.  The car is doing all that, but the phone is still firmly attached to the dashboard?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 58
    rumpels said:
    Here we go again with the sharp edges, and now a pill. Apple, you can do better than this! You have known for years that we all want round edges and no notch, no pill, NOTHING but screen. And you CAN build it. You did it many years ago with the MacBook Pro front camera. You can do it with the iPhone now. Stop playing with camera sensors and other crap, and making customers buy worthless devices for years before you complete what we all really want.

Again… ROUND EDGES & TOTAL SCREEN. No holes, no pill, no notches!!!!!! When you build that iPhone, THEN I’ll upgrade my weak SE. Well be waiting. 
    We had round-edged iPhones and they were in ways more slippery and more prone to crack on the rounded glass edges. I like the sharper edge as it makes it easier to grasp. 

As for the sensors -- the old MBP didn't have FaceID. The sensor is needed. If it weren't needed, it wouldn't be there.

Seek counseling on managing life expectations?
    DogpersonAlex1Nwelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 58
    That one "Beats" user was the lone rooter for a pill-shaped notch while everyone else was convinced an ugly, un-Apple pill+punch hole would be the final design.

GLOAT!! *wink*
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 58
    I find the “need” to move away from Lightning hilarious. The only thing usb-c would do is force me to go buy new cables when I have plenty of lightning cables from over the years. 
    Dogpersonwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 58
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    I hope they have louder speakers and significantly better battery life than my iPhone XS. 
  • Reply 34 of 58
    eightzero said:

Really? Sounds a bit.... unconvincing.

Just buy a $4 USBCF-to-LightningM dongle left connected to whatever USBC charger you use at home/work/car (not sure why you don't bring up MagSafe which obviates the need for any of this), and get on with life...
    Alex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Wallet at-the-ready for the Pro Max pre-order on 9/9. ATT's $1,000 rebate for my 12 Pro Max is just too good of an offer to pass up.

As an aside, anyone have any insights on what Apple means when they say "Come back later today to get ready for pre-order" on the iPhone Pro site?
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 58
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    My two major issues are:

1. Did Apple just cripple the “world phone” capabilities?  There are very good reasons to change sims when you travel to certain countries, such as a) local plans are FAR cheaper in most cases, b) better access to cell networks - in some countries you theoretically have access on the mainstream networks, but in some areas only the small networks have good coverage (and AT&T, T-mobile, etc. isn’t necessarily supported), and c) having a local number which reduces confusion and increases convenience for locals (such as family or clients) to call you.  I thought the 1 physical + e-sim was the most flexible option.  I wonder if they will have another version for some countries that offer the physical sim slot.
         2. Is the max storage 512gb when it was previously 1TB?!?  They announced storage “up to a terabyte.”  But in both the order screens and the tech specs for the iPhone 14 Pro Max, there are maximum storage options of 512gb.   My trusty old iPhone 13 Pro Max has 1TB of storage.  Maybe these are errors on the site that they will correct.

Other than those issues, I feel like this is a decent upgrade over the 13.  I especially like the new cameras.

i would still love to see under-the-display Touch ID (with a “poison finger” option).

I would also love to have the ability to utilize the Apple Pencil’s features with the iPhone.  I know there are things they have said to suggest it’s not coming, but I still want it.

Off-topic, argh!  Why does Appleinsider’s text box for entering posts always scroll to the top when we select a word by double-tapping, then try to move a selection dot to include more text (ex. select an entire sentence)?  This makes editing painful and, at least for me, discourages posting.  This only occurs for me on Appleinsider.com.  Is there a solution to this issue on the iPhone?

UPDATE #1: Storage issue no longer an issue
    Now I see the 1TB option.  Either I did something wonky the first time around, or the page was corrected.  Could be either!

UPDATE #2: WTF, Apple!?!
    Taken directly from the FAQ at the bottom of the official Apple iPhone 14 Pro page: "iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models will arrive ready to activate with eSIM.* Note, these models cannot activate with a physical SIM." and "*Not all carriers support eSIM. Use of eSIM in iPhone may be disabled when purchased from some carriers."

I did see someone stating the "international version" would have a physical SIM tray and not be limited to eSIM only.  Is that true?  If so, how do I get THAT version of the phone?  I travel!

I made  a new post with just that latter info and question just to highlight it.
    edited September 2022 DogpersonAlex1Nwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 58
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    mike1 said:
    eightzero said:

In your attempt to claim you won't upgrade because of the Lightning connector, you hurt your own argument by saying that "no port at all" would also be acceptable.
    If you really wanted the supposed benefits of a USB-C port, then having no port at all certainly wouldn't provide them. Therefore, if you were really considering an upgrade, the port would not be part of your decision process.
    @mike1 ;
    Well I’m still on iPhone6s+ and do have lightening port issues.  I finally read a blog by an electrical engineer that explained the carbon build up on the plug.  I’ve had the battery replaced twice by Apple.  Apple refused to replace the lightening port, Apple employee at Genius Bar said it wasn’t possible. Drove 10 minutes down the street to a strip mall with the cell phone repair shop; he said it wasn’t the lightning port but he was willing to do it for 40 US dollars.  Guess what it was the lightning port. Been working just fine now for three years. I get about 6 months out of my Apple lightening plug wires before the carbon builds up.  I do love my iPad Pro with the M1 chip. I love the USB-C plug on it. So if my iPhone 6s+ can last another year I’ll wait. I thought the European Union was kind of forcing Apple to use the USB-C port; I could be wrong.
    What carbon build-up?  I'm still rocking an XS Max from 4 years ago and have never had any sort of carbon build-up.  I did have to clean out lint once from the lightning port.  SIM changing tool makes that easy.  I learned that problem and solution from an Apple Genius on an earlier iPhone. 

Lightning Port is more reliable than USB-C, which tends to become unreliable (see recent AI article on USB-C cabling and the comments section for details).  Problem with lightning is the data speed. 
    Alex1Nanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 58
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    WTF, Apple!?!

Taken directly from the FAQ at the bottom of the official Apple iPhone 14 Pro page:

"iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models will arrive ready to activate with eSIM.* Note, these models cannot activate with a physical SIM."

and

"*Not all carriers support eSIM. Use of eSIM in iPhone may be disabled when purchased from some carriers."

Someone stated elsewhere that there may be an "international version" that would have a physical SIM tray and not be limited to eSIM only.  Is that true?  If so, how do I get THAT version of the phone?  I travel and need to be able to use eSIM.  I also sometimes give the phone I replace to family in the Philippines.  As far as I know, their carriers do not offer an option for eSIM.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    hogman said:
    I find the “need” to move away from Lightning hilarious. The only thing usb-c would do is force me to go buy new cables when I have plenty of lightning cables from over the years. 
    You mean you don't have an iPad and or Macbook and have been collecting USB-C for years?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Worthy upgrade 

removal of SIM tray is concerning, that's a bit like the removal of the audio jack.

We still miss the audio jack, and now we're using these silly lightning port dongles... wondering how this has been "progress" as we dongle about our day. 

My experience with eSim was terrible - I was excited and jumped right in, and got an eSim. Works! But then I got a new phone. There's an eSim transfer fucntion in the iPhone but apparently the operator gets to override it - I got a message saying my eSim can't be transferred and I need to go to a customer service center. I couldn't do that since I was in another country. That's a very big step back in usability from a SIM card - pop it out, pop it back in, no drama, no dialogs, no customer centers. It just works. 

Here in Asia everyone is using SIM cards on a daily basis, it's common to switch them while traveling, or to get a new one - also why phones have 2 or more SIM trays and even Apple sold iPhones here with dual SIM slots. 

So why remove that from the US models? Given that they can't remove it from Asian models for probably a very long time to come? It makes the USA iPhones useless in Asia. So... that's a very strange decision. 
    edited September 2022 muthuk_vanalingam