Apple introduces iPhone 14 & iPhone 14 Plus -- with satellite connectivity

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2022
Apple used its Wednesday special event to unveil the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus, updates to its flagship smartphone that cuts out the mini model in favor of something bigger.

The five colors of iPhone 14
The five colors of iPhone 14

Announced at Apple's "Far Out" event, the iPhone 14 follows the iPhone 13 in the ever-growing iPhone catalog. This time, there's one big upgrade to the lineup.

Rather than offering a standard and mini model, Apple has switched the smallest smartphone for a much bigger alternative. Joining the 6.1-inch iPhone 14 is the iPhone 14 Plus, a revival of the suffix and a smartphone with a 6.7-inch display.

The Super Retina XDR display is OLED, with a wide color gamut, 2 million:1 contrast ratio, and 1,200 nits of peak HDR brightness. That HDR support covers HDR10, HLG, and Dolby Vision.

As raised in rumors, Apple is reusing the A15 in the iPhone 14 instead of using an all-new chip, albeit with "Pro-level" enhancements. This is a big departure for Apple, as it typically upgrades the chip with each successive iPhone generation.

The chip being used has a five-core GPU, a six-core GPU with two performance cores and four efficiency cores, the 16-core Neural Engine, and the Image Signal Processor.

The camera on the back of the iPhone 14
The camera on the back of the iPhone 14

For photography, the main camera is a 12-megapixel shooter with a larger sensor, using an f/1.5 aperture and 1.9-micron pixels, as well as Sensor Shift OIS. Apple claims this results in a 49-percent improvement in low-light photography over the previous generation.

The Ultra Wide camera is also 12 megapixels, with an f/2.4 aperture and a 120-degree field of view.

Around the front, the TrueDepth Camera has been updated, with the 12-megapixel shooter having an f/1.9 aperture. Also, TrueDepth has autofocus for the first time.

Apple's computational photography has been updated by setting its Deep Fusion processing earlier in the process of taking a shot. Now known as the "Photonic Engine," this improves low-light performance and how it renders color.

Video is also improved with Action Mode, a stabilization system that uses the entire camera sensor for a less shaky shot. You still have 4K 60FPS video with HDR Dolby Vision, 30fps for Cinematic Mode, and Action Mode works at up to 2.8K at 60fps.

An unexpected change relates to SIM, as Apple is embracing eSIM even more. In the United States, the iPhone 14 will be sold without a SIM tray, requiring eSIMs instead, though SIM trays will continue to be included outside the United States.

Continuing with connectivity, Apple is introducing Emergency SOS via Satellite. Users can send an emergency text message via satellites if they are in a low-signal area.

Crash Detection and emergency messaging via satellite.
Crash Detection and emergency messaging via satellite.

Using a compression system to reduce the size of text messages to a third, the system can send a text message in less than 15 seconds using the technology. Relay centers set up by Apple will pass on the messages to emergency providers who only deal with phone calls.

Arriving in November in the U.S. and Canada, the satellite feature will be free for two years after buying an iPhone 14.

Another emergency feature is Crash Detection, which has the iPhone detecting when a severe collision has occurred. After attempting to communicate with the owner and not getting a response, the iPhone 14 can automatically place a phone call to emergency services.

Battery life has been improved in the iPhone 14, with up to 20 hours of video playback for the standard model and up to 26 hours for the Plus. MagSafe charging also makes a return.

The iPhone 14 will start from $799, $899 for the Plus model, with pre-orders commencing on September 9. The iPhone 14 will be available from September 16, with the Plus from October 7.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Notch Forever!
    toughCheddarwilliamlondongrandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 39
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Nice. I’m amazed by the crash detection and satellite SOS. But my 11 has a lot of life left in it. 
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 39
    My iPhone 11 is starting to feel a bit dated. Guess I better upgrade  to the iPhone 16 when it comes out. 😑
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 39
    They're way too big.  Even my 12 mini is way bigger than I need. I don't need a laptop in my pocket. The iPhone 4 size was perfect.
    neverindoubtlkruppwilliamlondonArszyappleinsideruserzeus423timmillea
  • Reply 5 of 39
    abujazar said:
    They're way too big.  Even my 12 mini is way bigger than I need. I don't need a laptop in my pocket. The iPhone 4 size was perfect.
    I saw a 12 mini yesterday for the first time. I can see a real appeal for a smaller phone. I liked it, a lot. Sadly, it’s going to be ancient history by the time I update
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 39
    abujazar said:
    "You DO need one, and you're going to like it!" - Apple

Kidding aside, I'm in the same boat.  Have a 12 mini and still have my original SE hanging around the house, and I'm shocked at how small and pocketable that thing is.  I appreciate a larger size when I'm lounging around with my phone, but I miss the smaller size when I'm on-the-go and trying to one hand it.  This is why I have an iPad and a laptop for more substantial use scenarios.
    entropysArszywatto_cobraabujazar
  • Reply 7 of 39
    The satellite texting feature is easy enough to deploy across North America because the US and Canada have no restrictions on free speech, but I doubt that it will ever be deployed across Asia or the Middle East because it's outside the reach of the "Great IT Wall" that many countries have built. It would bypass government control on communications. Since satellites cannot pinpoint which side of a border you are on, they can't respect the wishes of dictators to block data from their countries. And since Apple is paying for the service, it is Apple who would get in trouble with the dictatorships.

Unless perhaps the satellite texting capability does not support iMessage, and the satellite data is all unencrypted for the world to see. Then maybe dictatorships won't object. But if so, then Apple seems to be contradicting its oft-stated belief that "privacy is a fundamental human right." This will get harder to defend as the size of the satellite text messages increase over the next ten years, because Apple will find itself under pressure to encrypt those messages.
    appleinsideruser
  • Reply 8 of 39
    I wonder which satellite fleet they are partnering with for the SOS feature? There’s, I think, three right now under construction. I wonder how much it will cost after the two year free deal ends? Will it be by month, or by call? As they say the devil is in the details. 
    appleinsideruserzeus423muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 39
    The satellite texting feature is easy enough to deploy across North America because the US and Canada have no restrictions on free speech, but I doubt that it will ever be deployed across Asia or the Middle East because it's outside the reach of the "Great IT Wall" that many countries have built. It would bypass government control on communications. Since satellites cannot pinpoint which side of a border you are on, they can't respect the wishes of dictators to block data from their countries. And since Apple is paying for the service, it is Apple who would get in trouble with the dictatorships.

Unless perhaps the satellite texting capability does not support iMessage, and the satellite data is all unencrypted for the world to see. Then maybe dictatorships won't object. But if so, then Apple seems to be contradicting its oft-stated belief that "privacy is a fundamental human right." This will get harder to defend as the size of the satellite text messages increase over the next ten years, because Apple will find itself under pressure to encrypt those messages.
    I don’t think text messaging like
    in imessage is possible. Only contacting emergency response people. 
    And its only available in the US/Canada.
    edited September 2022 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The price of the 13 mini has barely dropped at all.  Disappointing.
    lkruppentropysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 39
    dutchlord said:

Yes, you are probably right that texting services are limited to emergency services, but that doesn't contradict anything I said. It will still be prohibited by dictatorships, right? And it's probably unencrypted, right? 
  • Reply 12 of 39
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    atomic101 said:
    abujazar said:
    Kidding aside, I'm in the same boat.  Have a 12 mini and still have my original SE hanging around the house, and I'm shocked at how small and pocketable that thing is.  I appreciate a larger size when I'm lounging around with my phone, but I miss the smaller size when I'm on-the-go and trying to one hand it.  This is why I have an iPad and a laptop for more substantial use scenarios.
    I love my iPhone 12 mini. I went 4S > 5S > 6S > SE > XS > 12 mini. The 4S size was still the best. My eyes are old and tired but I wouldn’t hesitate going back to a smaller handset. I owned the 6S less than six months. Too big.

I kept my XS as a backup device and it’s useful around the house but I don’t want to stick it in a pocket and walk out the front door.

edited September 2022
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Getting rid of the SIM tray is a stupid move. In a world of open standards, where SIM cards are still used everywhere in the world, why move to esims only? The old model where you had both esim and physical SIM tray was the best option and gave customers choice. Apple's reasoning around multiple esims and security is nonsense. They could have multiple esims and a physical SIM tray if they wanted. If people wanted security then use an esim, if they wanted convenience then use their physical SIM card.
    I wonder if this move is related to Apple bowing to pressure from US carriers who don't want people to avoid roaming costs by using a local country SIM card when they travel? If so, it opens up another antitrust issue that Apple could do without.
    williamlondonappleinsiderusermacplusplusmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 39
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,852member

Don’t care about other countries move forward Apple make regional iPhones if necessary the EU is moving you into that position anyway….
    zeus423
  • Reply 15 of 39
    DAalseth said:
    I wonder how much it will cost after the two year free deal ends? Will it be by month, or by call? As they say the devil is in the details. 
    That bit caught my ear as well.  I think they're trying to urge people into a two year upgrade cycle, rather than the (I think) 3.5 year pattern I just read about somewhere.  Or at least, I assume the "free" subscription (because that's what it is) would be extended "free" if one were to buy a new phone, but not it one kept the old one beyond the two year limit.
    appleinsiderusermuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 39
    HrebHreb Posts: 82member
    iPhone 13 mini is still available and starts at $599 (128GB).  Certainly even cheaper on the used or refurbished markets.
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 39
    DAalseth said:
    I wonder how much it will cost after the two year free deal ends? Will it be by month, or by call? As they say the devil is in the details. 
    That bit caught my ear as well.  I think they're trying to urge people into a two year upgrade cycle, rather than the (I think) 3.5 year pattern I just read about somewhere.  Or at least, I assume the "free" subscription (because that's what it is) would be extended "free" if one were to buy a new phone, but not it one kept the old one beyond the two year limit.
    Isn’t going to work for me. I have an 11 that’s close to 3 years old now, and shows no sign of needing replacement. Even the battery is in good shape. IP16 or 17 is what I’m looking at, maybe. If the 11 is still going strong I can see slapping a battery in and keeping it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 39
    danox said:

Don’t care about other countries move forward Apple make regional iPhones if necessary the EU is moving you into that position anyway….
    I understand your point. But it won't be different models that determine whether you can use this feature. Because if that was the case, an iPhone sold to an American would work in the deserts of China, which is exactly what China doesn't want to happen. So it will be implemented differently, either at the satellite level, or (less likely) in iOS where the GPS cold prevent your phone from reaching the satellite. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    dutchlord said:

Your statement that text messaging is not possible seems incorrect, because in the Apple keynote, the satellite app displays the phrase "opening Messages" (the app) and then you can see text bubbles that look (and sound!) exactly like the Messages app in iOS. Except that the outgoing chat bubbles are grey. So I infer from the video that text messages are allowed. But I don't know how it works yet.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    dutchlord said:

Your statement that text messaging is not possible seems incorrect, because in the Apple keynote, the satellite app displays the phrase "opening Messages" (the app) and then you can see text bubbles that look (and sound!) exactly like the Messages app in iOS. Except that the outgoing chat bubbles are grey. So I infer from the video that text messages are allowed. But I don't know how it works yet.
    Apple's livestream announcement said that it uses custom text compression along with canned responses. If the phone has good line of sight to a satellite, a text message will take on order minutes. If the phone doesn't have good line of sight, it could take on order tens of minutes to hours.

The canned messages obviously doesn't send the actual message, like sound and the actual text. It's just some minimum bit-depth number, the code, and when a phone receives it, it will play the canned response for that code that's already on the receiver phone.

And, it will also send GPS coordinates as one of those canned responses. That's just 3 numbers, possibly 4: time, latitude, longitude, and maybe altitude.

As for why it is in USA and Canada first, it's likely because Apple has gotten approvals for this type of functionality from these countries first, including the relay stations for the signal, and Apple can advertise the full service, like rescue crews. This is pretty standard operating procedure for an USA company. It will make it to other countries eventually assuming they have the relay stations and rescue crews, including China, and even Russia if the sanctions are lifted, which looks to be no time soon. I don't know what those countries are going to do about it though. It's satellite. The only thing lacking would be the rescue response and the accordant local relays, but the data transmission should work. Apple and the satellite company would have to have a GPS, feo-fence filter on it to prevent it from working.

williamlondonpscooter63watto_cobra