Apple Watch Series 8 debuts with new sensors & focus on health

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2022
The newly announced Apple Watch Series 8 is an update with a focus on speed improvements and fitness.

Rumors pointed to a significant Apple Watch redesign for the previous two generations. Instead, for 2022, Apple iterated on the existing design with minor changes that enhanced the overall experience.

The Apple Watch Series 8 could easily be mistaken for the Apple Watch Series 7 that came before it. The curved chassis, Digital Crown, speaker cutouts, and edge-to-edge display are identical.

New health capabilities

The exterior design didn't need to change to accommodate the new body temperature sensor. It uses the existing sensor's contact with skin to take periodic measurements to observe temperature trends.

Similar to the other health sensors on Apple Watch, the temperature sensor isn't meant to replace dedicated medical equipment. Instead, it will alert the user if a trend indicates health issues.

Specifically, Apple highlighted women's health as part of the announcement. With a two-sensor design-- one sensor on the back of the watch near the skin, and another under the display-- it samples the wrist temperature during sleep every five seconds to measure changes.

Cycle Tracking with the temperature sensor on the Apple Watch Series 8
Cycle Tracking with the temperature sensor on the Apple Watch Series 8

People can view nightly shifts in baseline temperature inside the Health app. These can be caused by exercise, illness, or even jet lag.

Women can receive ovulation estimates with the temperature sensor, a helpful feature for family planning. Temperature sensing also enables improved period predictions, again found within the Health app.

With iOS 16 and watchOS 9, the Cycle Tracking app pushes a notification to show possible deviations in a cycle, such as irregular, infrequent, or prolonged periods, and persistent spotting. These can be symptoms of underlying health conditions.

Crash Detection

A new emergency feature can detect car crashes using a more powerful gyroscope and accelerometer on Apple Watch. In addition to motion data, Crash Detection uses the barometer, GPS, and the microphone on iPhone as inputs to detect severe crashes.

When it detects a severe car crash, it checks on the user and dials emergency services if the person is unresponsive after a 10-second countdown. Emergency responders will receive the user's device location, which is also shared with the user's emergency contacts.

Low power mode

A new Low Power Mode can give up to 36 hours of battery life on a single charge. It disables certain features, such as the always-on display. It temporarily disables or limits certain sensors and features, including the Always-On Retina display, workout autostart, heart health notifications, and more.

The feature is built into watchOS 9 instead of limited to the Apple Watch Series 8, available on the Apple Watch Series 4 and later.

When Low Power Mode is not enabled, the Apple Watch Series 8 offers users all-day 18-hour battery life.

Price & availability

Aluminum color options include Midnight, Starlight, Silver, and (PRODUCT)RED. Stainless steel sticks with Silver, Graphite, and Gold. Apple customers can purchase it for $399 for GPS and $499 for the cellular option.

Apple Watch Series 8 and Apple Watch SE are available to order today, with availability beginning Friday, September 16.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    You know Apple, men wear the watch too. Just a thought after hearing about the temperature sensor. 
    williamlondonFidonet127docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Wow, that's disappointing. Guess I'm not upgrading my Watch this year. 
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 20
    hselburn said:
    You know Apple, men wear the watch too. Just a thought after hearing about the temperature sensor. 
    Doesn't sound like it can even alert you if you have a fever. That would have been nice to have during the pandemic. 
    williamlondondocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    As I write this, I’m uncertain what the new sensors are (the article does not yet say, and I cannot current watch the presentation), but I’m excited to learn.  Probably temperature and …what else?

As a physician, I have been very impressed with the Apple Watch.  I love the idea of Apple adding to the sensor platform to monitor health parameters.

Physicians call vital signs “vital” for a reason.  Simple parameters such as temperature, blood pressure, heart rate, breathing rate, and oxygen levels convey critical information.

Apple is gradually adding the ability to nearly continuously monitor vital signs.  They also monitor additional information, such as heart rhythm.  What makes Apple stand out is the high quality of the measurements and Apple’s development of extremely clever algorithms to extrapolate additional information from the data they measure, far more than the sum of the parts.  When they are able to add blood pressure monitoring, glucose monitoring, etc., we will see something pretty amazing as the result.  I can imagine Siri being able to tell you that you are “diagnose” dehydration, respiratory/lung problems, severe infection (sepsis), sleep apnea, seizures, orthostatic hypotension (blood pressure dropping when you stand up), early Parkinson‘a disease, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.  Each sensor they add could increase the potential issues that the watch/iPhone could detect in an exponential fashion.

TL;DR - Doctors love this crap!
    StrangeDaysappleinsideruserpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    coolerkid said:
    Wow, that's disappointing. Guess I'm not upgrading my Watch this year. 
    Mine is a couple years old now, so I am really thinking about it. The bigger screen, fast charging, CrashDetction. That's how these upgrades are supposed to go -- they aren't meant for upgrading every single year, but over time represent great upgrades when you're ready. Gruber wrote about this over a decade ago now:

https://www.macworld.com/article/205387/apple-rolls.html
    edited September 2022 bshankwilliamlondonmacxpresspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    hselburn said:
    Women generally don’t get pregnant without a man involved in some way (unless you are Mary or need fertility treatment). For men looking to start a family, this is very helpful. There may also be other benefits that haven’t been mentioned or activated. But if it is not for you, just don’t buy it!  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 20
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Yes, encryption, and yes privacy baked in, and yes Apple cannot access your health and temperature data.

And yes, you can expect many states to pass statutes requiring that women provide this data when investigating any specific crime, particularly when there is an accusation that they ovulated and then...something illegal happened. 

How I hate that this is where we now are. 
    StrangeDaysDAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    No Edition?!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    they’re very good. I was especially impressed by the crash detection and temperature sensor. Very clever. But my 6 does what I need. 

I would like to know if the bands for the new AW Ultra will fit on other models. I suspect not, but I REALLY liked them.

EDIT: THEY DO! I just checked and they are up in the Apple Store. The Ultra bands fit 44mm, 45mm, and 49mm watches. 
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    bshank said:
    No Edition?!
    Apple has clearly shifted the Apple Watch’s focus to health and fitness. They probably gave the Hermès model about twenty seconds of on-air time. And they debuted the extreme sports focused Ultra, not a fashion focused refinement.

When Apple’s branding agreement with Hermès expires there’s a good chance that Apple Watch “fashion” will continue as a few wristbands and downloadable wristfaces. Apple isn’t going to make a digital Cartier tank watch.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    AW8 "Always On" display includes an update to the actual time? I was disappointed to see AW7 didn't do this: I got one for my wife, a medical professional, who wanted a watch to look at while using two hands to take pulses of patients....only to find out the "feature" didn't update the screen (i.e. the second had sweeping) while "always on." 
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    coolerkid said:
    hselburn said:
    Doesn't sound like it can even alert you if you have a fever. That would have been nice to have during the pandemic. 

I'll reserve judgement, but I can't imagine Apple would create a temperature sensor that was only good for one very specific purpose.  Perhaps the sensor isn't precise or sensitive enough for another purpose?  I'm sure somewhere, at some point, a man will buy one and we'll find out for sure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    bulk001 said:
    hselburn said:
    Women generally don’t get pregnant without a man involved in some way (unless you are Mary or need fertility treatment). For men looking to start a family, this is very helpful. There may also be other benefits that haven’t been mentioned or activated. But if it is not for you, just don’t buy it!  
    I’m hoping for fever detecting like all of the population needs. Not all women are trying to conceive and at some point they will reach menopause. Do those women not matter? Fever detection is what the whole world needs. You have a fever today, maybe you should stay home and not infect the rest of the world. 
    docno42
  • Reply 14 of 20
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    Launched with a 2 years old processor! That sucks. And before you say that it's pretty fast, remember that having the newest processor is about having the maximum support for future software updates in the coming years. Having the same processor means that Apple will retire AW6 at the same time as AW8!

And having a new processor would have certainly significantly increased the battery life which is really needed for the AW (sorry, low power mode doesn't really count). 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 20
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    dk49 said:
    Launched with a 2 years old processor! That sucks. And before you say that it's pretty fast, remember that having the newest processor is about having the maximum support for future software updates in the coming years. Having the same processor means that Apple will retire AW6 at the same time as AW8!

And having a new processor would have certainly significantly increased the battery life which is really needed for the AW (sorry, low power mode doesn't really count). 
    I look at it the other way around. Every time they release an AW with essentially the same processor, that tells me that my AW6 just got a year extension to its useful life. They’ll end up supporting it that much longer.
    entropysdocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    dk49 said:

Apple will probably switch to TSMC’s new N3 process node next year resulting in a die shrink. That should help battery life.

Just adding more transistors for more performance also increases power consumption and die size. My guess is Apple has some SoC variants in lab prototypes and after evaluating all of their options chose to stick with the existing part as a balance of performance and cost.

Using the same part -- and not just the SoC -- over multiple generations (and maybe multiple products) does help drive down overall cost. Apple does this with pretty much all of their products; they keep some parts and upgrade others.

Anyhow Apple Watch 8 is a nice combination of features for a first time Watch buyer or someone upgrading from the Series 4/5 generation (or earlier). Apple kept a close eye on price this time around.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    A new processor will have more transistors, which isn't always offset by shrinking the circuit components, thus increasing power usage. There is a limit of how small things can go and how fast does the watch need to be anyhow? The watch isn't a gaming platform.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    hselburn said:
    On the plus side as the wife will come looking for you at just the right time. Eagerly.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    On the processor, clearly Apple is so far in front of the competition it doesn’t have to.  mightbas well keep new upgrades for later.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 20
    bulk001 said:
    hselburn said:
    I’m hoping for fever detecting like all of the population needs. Not all women are trying to conceive and at some point they will reach menopause. Do those women not matter? Fever detection is what the whole world needs. You have a fever today, maybe you should stay home and not infect the rest of the world. 

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the sensor isn't approved for "fever detection".  Whether that's a precision, accuracy, or regulatory problem, or some combination of those, I'm not qualified to say.  I'll defer to women and medical professionals on what degree of precision or accuracy is required to detect ovulation, but but a quick google search indicates that the Mayo Clinic and Planned Parenthood consider it to be less than 0.5 degrees Fahrenheit elevation from one's usual basal temperature during ovulation.

Given that my doctors have always told me that unless my temperature goes above 100, don't worry about it unless it stays elevated for an extended period of time, it seems like it would be precise enough to detect fever, which indicates something else.  Maybe they just haven't taken the time to develop other applications?