Apple Watch Ultra is compatible with 45mm bands

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2022
Despite being a new 49mm size, the Apple Watch Ultra is compatible with the bands made with the larger 42mm, 44mm, and 45mm Apple Watch lugs.

Apple Watch Ultra bands are universally compatible with large Apple Watches
Apple Watch Ultra bands are universally compatible with large Apple Watches

The new larger Apple Watch Ultra (available for preorder) has a 49mm display with a larger-looking industrial design. However, it still uses the same Apple Watch band connector introduced in the original model.

New Apple Watch Ultra bands like the Trail Loop, Alpine Loop, and Ocean Band are made specifically to match the rugged watch. These are rated as 49mm bands but are compatible with the previous large Apple Watch sizes.

This means any large Apple Watch band, present or past, will work with any large Apple Watch currently shipping. So, 42mm, 44mm, and 45mm bands are universal across every Apple Watch generation.

The bands made for Apple Watch Ultra have color-matched attachment mechanisms that won't match other Apple Watch finishes. Otherwise, they will work fine with any other larger watch model.

Owners of the "small" Apple Watch sizes remain a different size class -- 38mm, 40mm, and 41mm. The Apple Watch Ultra bands come in only one size and won't fit the smaller Apple Watch.

Customers interested in the Apple Watch Ultra or the new bands can pre-order them now. Initial shipments and in-store availability begin on September 16.

Read on AppleInsider
chasmdoozydozen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Well done. 
    elijahgchasmdoozydozensphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Even better from my point of view the Ultra bands do fit on 44 and 45mm watches. I could get one for my 6.
    doozydozenentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Hallelujah….. 🙏….. the new bands are hideous imo  

• Reply 4 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member

The Ultra bands are not designed for fashion AT ALL. They are designed to stay on you in various challenging environments. There’s a brief section in the keynote that dwells on this very point, if you’re interested. It’s all about how they maximize durability and practical aspects.

But yes, I’m very pleased to hear that once AGAIN the rumour-mongers were wrong about compatibility with older bands for both the Series 8 and the Ultra.
    doozydozenJFC_PAJinTechmike1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
     Also happen to be designed to make it obvious you have an ultra. That, my friend, is fashion.
    edited September 2022 mike1sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    The trail bands just look like similar woven nylon ones just like I have on my Series 3. Yeah you can get that glaring orange thing if that’s how you want to Vogue it….  But it’s thankfully not mandatory. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    entropys said:
     Also happen to be designed to make it obvious you have an ultra. That, my friend, is fashion.
    It isn’t, no. They’re designed from function. Do they come in colors? Well, yeah, including black. But they are function primarily, hands down. The rest is just unusual cynicism. 

I selected a bright orange case for my iPhone, not to make it obvious I have an iPhone, but to make locating my phone easier when I leave it on tables, car seats, etc. Is that fashion? Or function?
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Band comparability will be the iPod dock to Lightning fiasco of the Apple Watch if they ever change it.  

Hopefully, Apple plans on them being the interchangeable for many, many years.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    The bands are less interesting to me than something else in that photo which wasn't discussed in the presentation: there are four screws on the bottom. Past Apple Watches have been built with the sensor package on the bottom, then the SiP, then the Taptic Engine and battery, then the display on the top. With the antenna gaps around the screen, they may have moved the SiP in the Ultra to be up next to the screen. If the screws really do secure the sensor package to the watch body, that could allow for easy battery replacements.

I look forward to seeing the teardown.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    chasm said:

The Ultra bands are not designed for fashion AT ALL. They are designed to stay on you in various challenging environments. There’s a brief section in the keynote that dwells on this very point, if you’re interested. It’s all about how they maximize durability and practical aspects.

But yes, I’m very pleased to hear that once AGAIN the rumour-mongers were wrong about compatibility with older bands for both the Series 8 and the Ultra.
    To me the Solo Loop is the most secure band and easiest to use…….. The bulkiness  and inconvenience of at the least two of the new bands brings nothing to the picture.