New AirPods Pro fits neatly into the existing AirPods pricing tier

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2022
Apple has maintained a clear pricing tier with the AirPods Pro 2 release on Wednesday. Here's what the lineup looks like, rolling into the holiday season.

AirPods are available with multiple fits and features
AirPods are available with multiple fits and features

Apple's AirPods lineup offers products from $129 to $549 with varying styles and features. The latest addition are the second-generation AirPods Pro, replacing the original model at the same price point.

The remaining lineup was left unaffected by this update. So, customers can get the over-the-ear AirPods Max at the high-end or the barebones second-generation AirPods at the bottom.

Here's the full breakdown of Apple's AirPods lineup: Other than AirPods Max, the lineup consists of different styles of earbuds. The AirPods Pro stand out as a model with interchangeable ear tips and advanced features like ANC and Transparency modes.

The AirPods 3 offer features like Spatial Audio with head tracking in a more compact package, while the older model uses the original AirPods design in a charging case without any bells or whistles.

Customers can order the updated AirPods Pro on September 9 for $249. Initial shipments and in-store availability begin on September 16.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jas99jas99 Posts: 149member
    I want the new AirPods Pro for their better noise cancellation.
    My existing set works just fine, but protecting your hearing is important.
    VermelhoStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jas99 said:
    So true. That was impressive, and as a city dweller, would be much appreciated. 

But... It made me wonder if the transparency mode could be made intelligent enough to be clear concert earplugs?  Seriously. Once you've got the app verified fit already implemented, you've got a good seal. Then I'd almost assume that the transparency mode can also be decibel limited. Plus, I'm thinking, maintain the correct balance of bass and treble along with dynamics.  Great for musicians in bands too.  Here's another forward thought: how about a Stage musician customized mix. Even just EQ could help your feed work better for singing, playing, following a groove. It would need to be a custom app to bluetooth a mixer board custom feed to you though...

applebynatureStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Vermelho said:
    But... It made me wonder if the transparency mode could be made intelligent enough to be clear concert earplugs?  Seriously. Once you've got the app verified fit already implemented, you've got a good seal. Then I'd almost assume that the transparency mode can also be decibel limited. Plus, I'm thinking, maintain the correct balance of bass and treble along with dynamics.  Great for musicians in bands too.  Here's another forward thought: how about a Stage musician customized mix. Even just EQ could help your feed work better for singing, playing, following a groove. It would need to be a custom app to bluetooth a mixer board custom feed to you though...

I honestly envision software updates in the future adding on features like this, and more, to the AirPods Pro 2
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    nubusnubus Posts: 380member
    jas99 said:
    Doubling cancellation is 3 dB. That will bring Pro to the level of Max. But Sony MX3/MX4 are a further 4 dB ahead.
    If you care about your ears then go buy the Sony headphones.
    If you care about the planet (half the slides in the presentation by Apple) then keep your 1st gen Pro.

• Reply 5 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Vermelho said:

I honestly envision software updates in the future adding on features like this, and more, to the AirPods Pro 2
    Or, apple waits for AirPods Pro 3.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    nubus said: If you care about your ears then go buy the Sony headphones.
    Consumer headphones aren't certified for hearing protection. 

https://www.thenoisechap.com/hearing-protection-advice/headphones-as-hearing-protection
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    nubus said:
    jas99 said:
    Doubling cancellation is 3 dB. That will bring Pro to the level of Max. But Sony MX3/MX4 are a further 4 dB ahead.
    If you care about the planet (half the slides in the presentation by Apple) then keep your 1st gen Pro.
    Nonsense. You can gift your older pair, or sell them, or you can recycle them with Apple. Just like with laptops and other equipment, they'll send you a pre-paid package to ship them back, where they can remove the batteries and recycle them.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    nubus said:
    jas99 said:
    Nonsense. You can gift your older pair, or sell them, or you can recycle them with Apple. Just like with laptops and other equipment, they'll send you a pre-paid package to ship them back, where they can remove the batteries and recycle them.
    Not nonsense at all. Keeping the AirPods you’ve got is obviously environmentally better than additional consumption. 
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Getting the new Pros. Giving my old Pros to my wife. AppleCare/Extended defect program replaced SEVEN earpieces due to "the rattle." And the case once.

They replaced both sides about four months ago, so she's basically getting a new pair.
    watto_cobra