iPhone 14 Pro Dynamic Island shows Apple out-thinking rivals again

Posted:
in iOS
Android fans have mocked Apple for not shrinking the Face ID notch to a hole punch for years, but now its new Dynamic Island leaves rivals stranded.

Until the iPhone 14 Pro has shipped and is in users' hands, there is only Apple's information to go by, but already the Dynamic Island looks compelling. It looks as if Apple has done what it so famously has done many times before in taking an existing idea and doing it right.

It did this when it moved the keyboard to the back of the PowerBook, it did it when it ditched the floppy disk, and when it dropped the headphone jack. The keyboard move was instantly admired, where the other two took longer, but all are now seen as the right way to do something.

Apple introduced the notch in 2018 with the iPhone X, and it was how the front of the phone could include sensors and a camera. Even in 2018, though, Samsung was announcing its Galaxy A8s, which fitted similar sensors into a small, circular notch.

Now after five years of arguably being left behind by phones with their smaller hole-punch-like cutout, Apple has not just caved in and followed the trend. It has a hole-punch section, it also has a wider pill-shaped cutout, and it has transformed how both are used.

Dynamic Island should be more intrusive than the notch

The familiar notch has always been placed at the top of the screen, and initially plenty of people disliked how it cut into whatever you were watching on the display.

Most of the time, the Dynamic Island will look this small and protected.
Most of the time, the Dynamic Island will look this small and protected.

Now the Dynamic Island is narrower, but it's approximately the same height -- and it's much lower down into the screen.

One of the reason it's narrower is that the previous proximity has been moved. This is the sensor the iPhone has always had, which registers when you put the phone to your ear.

To save battery power, and also to prevent your ear accidentally dialling someone, the proximity sensor tells the phone to turn off the screen.

The iPhone 14 Pro still does exactly that, but for the first time the proximity sensor is housed below the display. Since the elements of the old notch are all hardware, they can't be moved around as needed, so this is also the first time that anything could be taken out.

Equally, this is the only part that has been repositioned, so there is physically only so much width the new notch replacement can cut.

Before the launch, it was predicted that Apple would replace the one notch with two, a smaller pill-shaped one, and a hole-punch cutout next to it. Apple has done that, but it has also elected to manipulate the screen.

Rather than only blocking the display with the pill and the hole punch, Apple has decided to also use the space between these two. It switches off -- or on -- the pixels between the two, and that is the start of the dynamic part of the name.

Lose pixels, gain functions

Apple is limited in what it can display within those parts of the new notch that have sensors. And it has total control over every pixel between them.

Consequently, Apple can do many things with this Dynamic Island. It can display, and keep displaying, Live Action information such as sports results.

Music app full size
Music app full size

It can show you within the island that you are, say, on a phone call even as you go to use a different app.

Or if you are using two apps in the background, say running a countdown timer as you play music, the new system can show you both. When it does, it's about the only time you can see where the pill and the hole punch physically on the screen.

Even then, though, Apple doesn't just pop one status icon into into the hole punch area, and another into the separate pill-shaped one. Instead, it animates the pill area extruding the smaller hole punch one, which then settles into place.

The Dynamic part of the name is concerned with how countless types of information can be shown in the new area. But it's also to do with that animation, how Apple appears to have painstakingly focused on making every change, every move, vibrant and, well, dynamic.

How Apple implements the Dynamic Island

The Dynamic Island's features will be available to all app developers to use, but Apple has a set of defined animations and styles that we're going to get very familiar with.

Most of the time, we'll see the Island with a couple of icons, such as album art when playing music, plus an animated waveform. When you invoke Siri, though, the narrow band cutout changes to more of a square shape, with the Siri logo in the middle.

When the phone rings, the narrow little island expands out in all directions to show who's calling, and to offer answer and decline buttons.

Then there is a third size, where an app can present about as much information, in about as much space, as a regular iOS widget.

Developers may already have made iOS widgets, so that's probably the size notification we're most often going to get.

Speaking of developers, though, Apple is this year making them split their efforts. All iPhone 14 Pro users will expect the new Dynamic Island -- and no user of the regular iPhone 14 can get it.

So a developer's app is going to have to simultaneously take advantage of the benefits of the new system, and yet still work with the old.

Apple cutaway showing the new sensors.
Apple cutaway showing the new sensors.

In time, though, this new system is going to be in all iPhones -- and probably a lot of Android ones, too.

That's because it is one of these Apple designs that's so right you can fathom how no one had thought of it before. Apple thought of it and then it did it.

Read on AppleInsider
aatbforgot username

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    So far I have read commenters mostly saying meh, about te new stuff Apple produced. Am I the only one that is truly impressed? I like the new lineup of phones, with stuff like always on (way better than the rest), satellite connection (superior!), dynamic island (brilliant!), photography (astonishing!), speed (unbelievably!), looks (great!). I think we are getting to much used to Apple time and again delivering. So used in fact that we are underwhelmed. All this stuff is so much better than what the competition offers. Come on guys!
    OferflyingdpStrangeDaystwokatmewappleinsideruserwilliamlondonAnilu_777radarthekatFileMakerFellerlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 35
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    So far I have read commenters mostly saying meh, about te new stuff Apple produced. Am I the only one that is truly impressed? I like the new lineup of phones, with stuff like always on (way better than the rest), satellite connection (superior!), dynamic island (brilliant!), photography (astonishing!), speed (unbelievably!), looks (great!). I think we are getting to much used to Apple time and again delivering. So used in fact that we are underwhelmed. All this stuff is so much better than what the competition offers. Come on guys!
    I think it depends on the model.

The 14 is a bit meh with one extra GPU core, low light camera improvements as the only day-to-day upgrades?. The Pros are a nice improvement especially with the 48MP main camera (not just 50M sensor elements marketing is BSing as pixels like some Android models) but I think some people were hoping for actual satellite calls rather than just the emergency messaging.

I'm waiting for the lawsuit for the Deep Purple name… and Space (trucking) Black   :D
    dewmeOferAnilu_777forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    So far I have read commenters mostly saying meh, about te new stuff Apple produced. Am I the only one that is truly impressed?
    Welcome to every Apple announcement event ever. The naysayers always fill their traditional role. Even the original iPhone event (greatest product announcement event in history IMO) had its doubters. That said, the iPhone is now a mature product in a mature product category - the major revolutionary moments are behind us. I know some people think the folding phones/screens are the new shiny, but I for one don't understand the need/appeal.

Frankly the only feature upgrade I'm really yearning for is a higher optical zoom range for the camera. 2x is so...meh. 
    OferflyingdpentropysStrangeDaystwokatmewRudeBoyRudywilliamlondonAlex1NAnilu_777FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It’s a cute implementation, but I don’t think it adds any functionality, just some neat animations, right?
    dk49
  • Reply 5 of 35
    OferOfer Posts: 239unconfirmed, member
    So far I have read commenters mostly saying meh, about te new stuff Apple produced. Am I the only one that is truly impressed?
    Welcome to every Apple announcement event ever. The naysayers always fill their traditional role. Even the original iPhone event (greatest product announcement event in history IMO) had its doubters. That said, the iPhone is now a mature product in a mature product category - the major revolutionary moments are behind us. I know some people think the folding phones/screens are the new shiny, but I for one don't understand the need/appeal.

Frankly the only feature upgrade I'm really yearning for is a higher optical zoom range for the camera. 2x is so...meh. 
    It actually has both 2x and 3x optical zoom.

That being said, I agree that I’d like to see a higher zoom range. Maybe we’ll get it with next year’s rumored telescoping lens?
    Alex1NAnilu_777radarthekatlolliverforgot usernamescstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    It's a stretch (and a mighty one at that) to claim Apple waited to get the pill done right.

It isn't. It's just another way of doing something. You can go one way or the other. 

They could have moved the whole assembly up to the frame (a la 'notch') with the same functionality and saved some space. 

Something Android pills, cutouts and notches have strived to do from the get go. Let's not forget that Apple is taking a nod from the wider industry here by separating the sensor array from the frame. Industry feeds off itself for ideas. It's how it has always been. 

Everyone will have their preferred option and options are where it's at. Almost all of them are done right but they are options nevertheless, all with strong and weak points depending on needs/point of view. 

The name is plain silly IMO. Should we rename status bars as 'dynamic' now?

It's another take on providing feedback but little more. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I think it is a classic Apple hanging a lantern on a problem and turning it into a feature.

it certainly looks cool, and a great solution IMHO because Apple has a lot more sensors there than most phones who can get away with a dot. And those sensors mean a more secure, better experience.

that said, I am worried that there is a screen gap above it. That means a bit of wasted space 
    edited September 2022 egold44sireofsethdewmeAlex1Nradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    See you guys at 5am/8am EST
    edited September 2022 StrangeDaystwokatmewAnilu_777forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    Apple couldn't continue showing notifications below the notch anymore because that would basically discount the benefits of the new smaller notch. So they implemented this island UI which plays well with the notch and allows the iPhone to display notifications in the same horizontal space as that occupied by the notch.
    designrtwokatmewAnilu_777scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Coming soon to Android: “magic peninsula”
    StrangeDayswilliamlondon9secondkox2Anilu_777chasmFileMakerFellerlollivernubusscstrrfkiltedgreen
  • Reply 11 of 35
    designr said:
    crowley said:
    It’s a cute implementation, but I don’t think it adds any functionality, just some neat animations, right?
    I don't know. I think we just saw Apple make lemonade from a lemon. They know the notch and pill are an issue. They want to get rid of it—but can't yet—so okay, let's lean into this.
    Indeed. They're using clever software design to effectively make it feel like it's not there. Vid looks convincing... I'll know when I get it in my hands after the pre-order tomorrow!
    designrwilliamlondon9secondkox2Alex1NAnilu_777lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    entropys said:

that said, I am worried that there is a screen gap above it. That means a bit of wasted space 
    I think it's the fact of that space above the island that makes the illusion of it not being there at all convincing...that the entire section feels like a black UI element of the software & not the hardware. That is what I think the point of the feature/illusion is about, to trick you into thinking it's just a dynamic section of the screen that morphs into dark-background notifications, and by placing those containers *around* it make the true dead space feel like just part of a normal screen, which is assisted by the use of true space above it. It's a trick, but it looks like it may work.

We will see if it is effective.
    designrsireofsethAnilu_777radarthekatFileMakerFellerlolliverscstrrfkiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    It may indeed work well, the majority of the time. I was thinking when watching a movie. That little strip of light maybe more noticeable than the old notch which in truth went into the not registry. I do seem to recall the same concerns when the notch was introduced though that slowly died away.  
    I guess we will see once it is in peoples’ hands.
    sireofsethradarthekatAlex1Nscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Honestly, 

im pretty blown away by the innovation gone into the dynamic island. 

Apple has taken a liability for any smartphone with a front facing camera setup (even more so with Face ID tech) and they’ve turned it into a very desirable asset. 

The functionality, the presence, and the animations make it a must have. 

All android phone (and even the non-pro iPhones) now seem a bit dated without this feature. 

Samsung and others will follow suit soon enough, but it will be a ghetto version, per usual. 

When I first heard the words “dynamic island,” I laughed out loud. Literally. Then I saw it demo’d.

DANG. 

ITS AWESOME. 

Whoever came up with that has definitely earned their stripes at Apple. 

Amazing. Can’t wait to use it. 
    designrtmayAnilu_777radarthekatFileMakerFellerAlex1NscstrrfStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Honestly, 

Apple has taken a liability for any smartphone with a front facing camera setup (even more so with Face ID tech) and they’ve turned it into a very desirable asset. 

All android phone (and even the non-pro iPhones) now seem a bit dated without this feature. 

Samsung and others will follow suit soon enough, but it will be a ghetto version, per usual. 

When I first heard the words “dynamic island,” I laughed out loud. Literally. Then I saw it demo’d.

DANG. 

ITS AWESOME. 

Dude, it's a set of animations.  The novelty will last for about 10 minutes.
    muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 16 of 35
    I give Apple an “A” for the cojones to market this as a feature. As said here in a previous post, the new position makes it appear a bit more like a UI element instead of dead space - but it is a trick. It obviously would still be better to not have this screen real estate interrupted by the camera/sensor assembly - though that is obviously easier said than done when Apple (and other phone mfg) want to market an edge to edge screen.

radarthekatAlex1NStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    I love, love how Apple took lemons and made some really, really fantastic lemonade!!!

It shows how they have long range plans, prioritize work and release when ready. Unlike Samsung in the early days that would rush to drop half baked features that didn't work as expected.
    edited September 2022 Anilu_777radarthekatlolliverAlex1Nscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 35
    crowley said:
    Honestly, 

DANG. 

ITS AWESOME. 

Dude, it's a set of animations.  The novelty will last for about 10 minutes.
    Dude, you honestly don't get it. Apple could just have easily thrown extra/larger status indictors into the "ears" and called it a day. Instead like a magician they redirected your eyes into seeing what they want you to see instead of what is really there, "the notch".

The end result is ...notch what notch.
    edited September 2022 Anilu_777radarthekatlolliverAlex1NscstrrfStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    avon b7 said:
    It's a stretch (and a mighty one at that) to claim Apple waited to get the pill done right.

It isn't. It's just another way of doing something. You can go one way or the other. 

They could have moved the whole assembly up to the frame (a la 'notch') with the same functionality and saved some space. 

Something Android pills, cutouts and notches have strived to do from the get go. Let's not forget that Apple is taking a nod from the wider industry here by separating the sensor array from the frame. Industry feeds off itself for ideas. It's how it has always been. 

Everyone will have their preferred option and options are where it's at. Almost all of them are done right but they are options nevertheless, all with strong and weak points depending on needs/point of view. 

The name is plain silly IMO. Should we rename status bars as 'dynamic' now?

It's another take on providing feedback but little more. 
    Avon B7 walks into a status bar and orders a rethink.  “Is there nothing you actually like,” asks the bartender?  “I like my own posts,” replies B7.  “Bingo,” retorts a patron listening in, “I always wondered why there is always and only one Like.”
    chasmlolliverbestkeptsecretAlex1NscstrrfdewmeStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    The reason Android users who have a hole punch in their wannabe iPhones (often off to one side or the other which really triggers my OCD for symmetry) is because … they are stupid.

They do not understand that the sensors previous under the notch and now under this “pill” do A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT MORE than their hole punch substandard-selfie camera. Like Face ID that works instantly every time, for starters, even in total darkness. Like better low-light selfies. Like Face ID with a mask on. Like face depth-mapping. And so on and so on. Apple packs so much tech in that one little pill, it’s really pretty amazing.

PS. I’m pretty sure any videos playing on the iPhone will not overlap the pill area at all, just like it didn’t with the notch. Games might be another story, because that’s up to the developers.
    FileMakerFellerAlex1NradarthekatStrangeDayswatto_cobra