Apple isn't done with 2022 -- here's what's still coming

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2022
Even after the iPhone 14 event, Apple still has more tricks up its sleeve for 2022. Here's what's still expected in October -- and beyond.

What's next for Apple later in 2022
What's next for Apple later in 2022

The "Far Out" on September 7 introduced the iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max, Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Watch Ultra, Apple Watch Series 8, and a new Apple Watch SE. Announcements for iPads and Macs were noticeably absent -- but we're expecting both soon.

New products

Apple promised it would complete its transition to Apple Silicon in Macs by the end of 2022. This points to a later event, likely in October. Apple has held October events in 2020 and 2021, and this is expected to be the same.

The iPhone has dominated the month of September except for 2020, where Apple announced an Apple Watch and iPad in September, while previewing iPhones and the HomePod mini in October, followed by the Mac in November.

After showing off the new iPhone, iPad, and AirPods models in September, an October follow-up for the rest of the catalog seems very likely.

Following the event, a Mark Gurman newsletter put forward that a hardware subscription launch could happen either late in 2022 or in early 2022. An October-based event seems like it could be a good venue for a subscription launch, among other hardware and away from the main featured product, the iPhone 14.

iPad and iPad Pro

Apple confirmed in August 2022 that it will delay the release of iPadOS 16. Instead of iPadOS 16.0 being the first release for the public, the company will instead move to iPadOS 16.1 to launch with new devices.

Rumors claim that the tenth generation of iPad will feature an all-new design that mimics the iPad Pro in terms of a flat design. Renderings also show a vertical rear camera lens similar to that on the iPhone X.

The 10th-gen iPad may get a facelift, and a new camera module.
The 10th-gen iPad may get a facelift, and a new camera module.

The flat sides may signal compatibility with the Apple Pencil 2, which magnetically snaps onto the side of certain iPad models to charge. This means that the original Apple Pencil could be discontinued, and possibly even added to Apple's list of vintage products.

Apple may place the A14 chip inside this iPad since it's meant to be the affordable iPad marketed towards students and others who don't need the latest speeds and features.

For the iPad Pro, it's likely that Apple will release it with the M2 chip as an upgrade to the current models using the M1 chip. Other possibilites include wireless charging with MagSafe and mini LED backlighting for the 11-inch iPad Pro.

Mac

The M2 chip was revealed in the latest MacBook Air released earlier in 2022. It comes in 8-core and 10-core GPU options, with Apple claiming a performance improvement of over 35% just for the GPU.

Memory bandwidth for the Unified Memory increased from 68.25GB/s in the M1 to 100GB/s in the M2. The integrated Neural Engine has the same cores as the M1 chip but runs 40% faster in the M2. It also has an upgrade image signal processor for better image noise reduction.

MacBook Pro

We expect a new MacBook Pro before the end of 2022 that include 5-nanometer chips. These are likely to be the M2 Pro and M2 Max chips and will be found inside the 14-inch and 16-inch models.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo disagrees with rumors saying that Apple, through manufacturs such as TSMC, will move toward a 3-nanometer process. That could be seen in 2023. Kuo believes that new MacBook Pro models started production in Q4 of 2022.

Mac Pro

This one seems less likely for 2022, but we do know that there is a Mac Pro in the works. The last Mac Pro was a major redesign in 2019 with a modular design for easy component swaps. Right now, it features up to 8TB SSD storage, a T2 Security Chip, and more.

Rumors vary, but if it comes in 2022 Mac Pro the Mac Pro is expected to still have one or more M1 variants inside. It's expected to include an upgraded version of the M1 with more cores than the M1 Max.

iMac, iMac Pro

Rumors point to a release of a new iMac and iMac Pro, but not in 2022. Updates in 2023 could bring customers new versions of these devices with an even-more-powerful M3 chip.

According to Mark Gurman in the Bloomberg "Power On" newsletter, an M3 chip is "already in the works" and currently undergoing testing. He believes that an iMac Pro is coming, but not anytime soon, he shared in April 2022.

Mac mini

The Mac mini is also a possibility for a fall 2022 release. Rumors suggest an upgraded design, M2 or M2 Pro processors, and more ports.

Among the first Macs to receive an M1 processor, it may also be among the new M2 recipients. According to leaker Jon Prosser, the New Mac mini could feature plexiglass-like top cover, use a thinner aluminum chassis, and have an underside with two rubber feet for support.

This all said, recent discussions say that the Mac Studio was conflated with Mac mini rumors, so it's not at all clear what's going to happen here.

Augmented and Virtual Reality headset

Apple's AR and VR ambitions are probably not a November 2022 product.

But, it's not all that far off. Another product rumored for the near-future is one of three mixed-reality headsets that are in Apple labs.

A report from June 2022 talks about battery issues reportedly forcing Apple to push the hardware release into 2023.

Other issues that the headset has reportedly faced include computing power, although the inclusion of the M2 chip could be an option. Initial reports suggested that the VR headset would utilize the iPhone to process its software, but more recent rumors suggest the headset will be a stand-alone device.

Look at all these rumors

Rumors never stop, and Apple rumors are at the top of the mill. Apple is rumored to update all of its products at every event, but those repeated long enough are the ones that matter.

We saw this with the iPhone 14 "pill-shaped" notch that turned out to be the Dynamic Island.

New Macs are coming, and soon. So are iPads, both Pro and non. We'd be very surprised if just one product line gets updated by the end of the year.

In terms of probability, new iPads and an updated MacBook Pro are next. An updated Mac mini would be right behind it, if Vegas was taking odds on the topic.

The Mac Studio most certainly won't get an upgrade yet, but the MacBook Pro is expected to see some form of M2 processor in the next few months.

Meanwhile, the Mac mini and iMacs larger than 24-inches have been wanting attention. The regular iMac that debuted in 2021 with an M1 chip could also get an M2 boost later this year.

The other Macs probably won't see the public until next year, but Apple may still surprise us.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Apple mightn’t de done with 2022

But after last nights feeble attempts with “Dynamic Island” “I’m done with Apple. 

I wasn’t impressed. I was even more gutted when I saw their price for a base model iphone 14 pro in the EU. €1339 for a base model when last years 13 Pro was €1079. So after 14 years of accepting your feeble increments every year and putting up with your price increases I’ve decided that I can but an S22U with Watch Pro 5 for less and probably get the buds thrown in too for not much more. 

You’re ok if you’re in the US though. They haven’t increased their price. 

This is the last straw Apple. With your zero innovation and greedy money grabbing prices. 

Goodbye and good riddance. 
    dewme
  • Reply 2 of 39
    CiaranF said:

But after last nights feeble attempts with “Dynamic Island” “I’m done with Apple. 

I wasn’t impressed. I was even more gutted when I saw their price for a base model iphone 14 pro in the EU. €1339 for a base model when last years 13 Pro was €1079. So after 14 years of accepting your feeble increments every year and putting up with your price increases I’ve decided that I can but an S22U with Watch Pro 5 for less and probably get the buds thrown in too for not much more. 

This is the last straw Apple. With your zero innovation and greedy money grabbing prices. 

lol ok then thanks for letting us know. I thought the new Pro looked great, after a couple years from my last I'm upgrading. Camera upgrades, crash detection, SOS, always-on widgets, etc. And the dynamic island looks like a really intriguing way to mask the sensor and blend it into the software UI. Just looks like a fun upgrade. And considering the resale value of my 12 Pro, why the heck not.
    edited September 2022 urashidjahbladeradarthekath2puraharajeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 39
    CiaranF said:

It humors me when people announce their "exit". No one cares. Just go and save the drama for your mama.
    StrangeDaysmwhitedewmejahbladeradarthekatJP234FileMakerFellerbestkeptsecreth2pjdonAI
  • Reply 4 of 39
    CiaranF said:

"zero innovation" LOL okay Troll. show us the Android Watch built for extreme conditions. show us a typical cellular phone that can connect to satellite.

"goodbye and good riddance"  byeee, take good care of yourself. and oh, please do post a picture with your brand new Samsung Galaxy soon as you can. 

radarthekath2puraharamacxpressjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 39
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    I'm amazed that people are so blissfully unaware of what happened to the dollar-Euro exchange over the past year and a half. 
    entropyschadbagrezwitsAlex1NstompyradarthekatomasouFileMakerFellermbenz1962urahara
  • Reply 6 of 39
    CiaranF said:

Maybe EU imposes severe import tax on iPhone? And you blame Apple?
    radarthekatJP234FileMakerFellerh2purahara9secondkox2macxpressjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 39
    CiaranF said:

To be fair, it isn't Apple's fault that the value of the Euro has declined in relation to the US dollar.  Most countries outside of the USA saw prices increases because of this
    Alex1NdewmejahbladestompyradarthekatJP234FileMakerFellerh2pOnPartyBusinessurahara
  • Reply 8 of 39
    CiaranF said:

Maybe EU imposes severe import tax on iPhone? And you blame Apple?
    It's more so the decline of the value of the Euro
    Alex1NJP234FileMakerFeller9secondkox2jeffharriswatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 9 of 39
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    spheric said:
    I'm amazed that people are so blissfully unaware of what happened to the dollar-Euro exchange over the past year and a half. 
    I'm surprised that I'm not too lazy to post this in response to your post;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-08/why-the-euro-has-tumbled-near-parity-to-the-us-dollar-quicktake

Me, I'm always concerned about a land war in Europe breaking out just after an extended pandemic, which is the reverse of a pandemic after the First World War. 

FileMakerFellerh2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 39
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    spheric said:
    Yes, unable to fathom that their problems are a result of the government they choose to elect and the decisions they make.  But no, the collapsing € is the fault of an American corporation based in California.

of course, Samsung is taking the margin hit to chase market share in Europe  over its android competitors. That will impact Apple as well, but Apple isn’t playing the same game.  
    Alex1NtmayradarthekatFileMakerFeller9secondkox2jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 39
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    spheric said:
    Exactly.  I logged in to say it but you seemed to have beaten me :smile: 

It is not greedy Apple.   It is that Apple bases their prices on their home currency and then "translates" that to other currencies (there are other things that can affect pricing besides exchange like VAT being part of the price vs sales tax added on top, import duties, and other regulatory costs and costs of doing business in a given area). 

The euro had been about 1.15--1.2 US$, more or less, for quite a while but recently has fallen to parity. That makes everything that has base pricing in US$ 15+% more  expensive in euro.  
    Alex1NFileMakerFeller9secondkox2jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 39
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    CiaranF said:

I'm completely the opposite - I want Dynamic Island to make it's way to all the pro products. 
    iPadPro super think bezel dynamic island. Make the 11 Pro Portrait with island on the short edge push the larger pro up to 14 landscape island middle of the long edge. 
    Centre of top edge is great for notifications that appear for a short while then disappear. 

Hope apps get access to notifications a view conference app could pop up speakers name and draw your gaze back to the camera. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 39
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    rezwits said:
    spheric said:
    Damn straight, I've been buying stuff from (EURO)PEAN countries, that are essentially 30% OFF finally, that I used to buy at 130%.

It's been pretty damn sweet!  Stupid NATO & EU and this "WAR"...  they are literally [getting] KILLED...

And so many of them cried to support voting for Biden which was so sad what him and his son (Hunter) have done to Europe (and America) too.
    Uhm, literally, Russia is setting itself up for a fall, and possible downsizing, and NATO, a defensive organization, has only increased its capability to crush Russia militarily, if Putin is stupid enough to test Article 5.

Meanwhile, the EU is ahead of schedule to store energy for the winter from other sources as Russia turns off the tap, and just today, the UK is allowing fracking again.

Next up, elimination of Visa's for Russian tourists, starting in the Baltics, but soon to be EU policy. Let Russian's travel elsewhere.

jdonAIjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 39
    CiaranF said:

"zero innovation" LOL okay Troll. show us the Android Watch built for extreme conditions. show us a typical cellular phone that can connect to satellite.
    "goodbye and good riddance"  byeee, take good care of yourself. and oh, please do post a picture with your brand new Samsung Galaxy soon as you can. 
    A sporty friend has been suggesting a Garmin comparison for some time: Apple’s New ‘Ultra’ Watch Goes Toe-to-Toe With Garmin | WIRED
    Both seem to have strengths and weaknesses depending on customer needs, and Apple seems at the mercy of fall calendar timing...

I'm far more concerned about the (my) user experience with the mac desktop inflexibility and the seemingly always in beta macOS...
    Would a merit vs profit/calendar based strategic policy shift (back to 2011?) address this... ?
    Did Steve Jobs end the New Year's post holiday pressure of MacWorld timing for just such a reason...?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 39
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    CiaranF said:

Let’s never put any blame on foreign currency exchange rates, inflation, etc.  it’s all Apple’s doing that the iPhone price goes up in some countries.  Enjoy your Android experience.  You’re welcome back should you decide you want to return. 
    9secondkox2jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 39
    tmay said:
    Me, I'm always concerned about a land war in Europe breaking out just after an extended pandemic, which is the reverse of a pandemic after the First World War. 
    Well, like Vizzini, I am concerned about participating in a land war in Asia, or going up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
    mbenz1962watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 39

According to Mark Gurman in the Bloomberg "Power On" newsletter, an M3 chip is "already in the works" and currently undergoing testing.
    Given the multi-year timeframe that such processes operate on, it's refreshing to see Nostradamus dignifying the plebs with such edifying predictions.
    jdonAIjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 39
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    CiaranF said:

Funny how you say Apple has done zero innovation, and their "feeble" attempts with what they did with Dynamic Island. The fact is, it is more innovative than what others have done with their pill-like cutouts which is absolutely nothing. As others have stated, good riddance. 
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    So back to the article’s subject…

Now the Apple released their 🍎Watch Ultra, I’m certain that the upcoming Mac Pro’s top CPU will be a “M2 Extreme.” Why, we have the Mac M1 Ultras already, so a “extreme” name is in order w/ extreme performance intended for the Mac Pro contingent. I’m hoping that we’ll see the following systems:

1. Mac Mini Pro, iMac Pro, & Mac Studio: M2 Pro w/ up to 48GB RAM , 12-core CPU, 24-core GPU
      2. iMac Pro, Mac Studio, & Mac Pro: M2 Max w/ 96GB RAM , 12-core CPU, 48-core GPU
      3. Mac Studio & Mac Pro: M2 Ultra w/ 192GB RAM , 24-core CPU, 96-core GPU
      4. Mac Pro: M2 Extreme w/ 384GB RAM, 48-core CPU, 192-core GPU (yikes!)

I wouldn’t be surprised if the M2 Extreme is not just 4x M2 Max chips welded together, but maybe even 6 or 8! Also, to appease the RAM gods, maybe they’ll add special RAM-a-lama-DingDong extreme side-integrated expansion providing an additional 1TB SSD-Cache?

All I want is the #3 option Mac Studio at around $6500 - that would be a beast.

OK, back to the Euro discussion…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 39
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    AniMill said:
    So back to the article’s subject…

Now the Apple released their 🍎Watch Ultra, I’m certain that the upcoming Mac Pro’s top CPU will be a “M2 Extreme.” Why, we have the Mac M1 Ultras already, so a “extreme” name is in order w/ extreme performance intended for the Mac Pro contingent. I’m hoping that we’ll see the following systems:

1. Mac Mini Pro, iMac Pro, & Mac Studio: M2 Pro w/ up to 48GB RAM , 12-core CPU, 24-core GPU
      2. iMac Pro, Mac Studio, & Mac Pro: M2 Max w/ 96GB RAM , 12-core CPU, 48-core GPU
      3. Mac Studio & Mac Pro: M2 Ultra w/ 192GB RAM , 24-core CPU, 96-core GPU
      4. Mac Pro: M2 Extreme w/ 384GB RAM, 48-core CPU, 192-core GPU (yikes!)

I wouldn’t be surprised if the M2 Extreme is not just 4x M2 Max chips welded together, but maybe even 6 or 8! Also, to appease the RAM gods, maybe they’ll add special RAM-a-lama-DingDong extreme side-integrated expansion providing an additional 1TB SSD-Cache?

All I want is the #3 option Mac Studio at around $6500 - that would be a beast.

OK, back to the Euro discussion…
    What if, the reason why not all the new iPhones have an A16 is because Apple is reserving some of them to morph into M3 Extreme chips for the MacPro? Just speculation! 
    AniMillwatto_cobra