Doom III: Wired Magazine: ID Sells Out?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just read the new Wired magazine today. It has an article on Doom III.

Bottom line: The usual Zombie, Imp and Pinky Demon screen caps, the usual crap about Carkmack's dope sports cars, the usual crap about how many long hours they work, yada yada yada. Not a great article really. But...

Wired hinted that Carkack and company have been offered a LOT of money by Microsoft for exclusive XBOX rights to DOOM III, and that (gulp) they are "considering it". Looks like they may port their PC code to XBOX, optimize it, and never look back?

I am going to go get drunk now and lament about the good old Doom and Doom II days. Wanna come?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Who cares?

I like ID but this would just make the Unreal series the #1 game out there. ID would be gone.

The current Xbox isn't even fast enough to play Doom III.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    First, here's the article in question.

Carmack doesn't control the purse strings at id, but he is the guy who started doing Mac ports because "it's the right thing to do."

Also, when MS makes an offer like that, anyone wise tacks "or else" onto the end.

Also, it sounded to me like what MS was angling for was first release on the XBox, not exclusive release. That will suck (simply because it will delay the game, as Carmack has noted, and that's not a small issue in an industry as time-sensitive as id's), but at least id could then roll out Windows and Mac and Linux versions:

Quote:

But id could pocket some cash from Microsoft. Redmond keeps calling, trying to convince the company to release a version of Doom III for the Xbox: "We're being offered a pretty significant amount of money to sit on it until an Xbox port is done," says Carmack. id hasn't announced a decision yet.

• Reply 3 of 7
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    If id releases a Mac (or even PC) version of DOOM III 2 years after the XBOX gets it, then DOOM III is a moot point if you ask me. It's a crumb from the table. A stale, crusty, crumb with mold and dust and disease and...

When Halo FINALLY ships for the Mac next year, are YOU gonna buy it? I'm not.

Yet ANOTHER game to "premiere" at MacWorld, only to be yanked from the Mac game community at the last minute.

id needs to do what they think is best I guess. But I hope Carmack knows what "the right thing to do" REALLY is.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Modding is such an important part of any ID game, and ID's philosophy, I can't believe that they would sell exclusive rights to X-Box, or even first release before releasing for the PC in a tiny amount of time.

I can't get too invested in this, as I don't think I'll have a machine fast enough to play D3 for a long, long time.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Also, it sounded to me like what MS was angling for was first release on the XBox, not exclusive release.

I think it sounds like MS just wants Doom III on the Xbox on the same day as the other platforms.

"We're being offered a pretty significant amount of money to sit on it until an Xbox port is done."
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Id was offerd to make Doom a X-Box exclusive as afar as CONSOLES go... So it won't show up on PS2/3, Gamecube, etc...

Doom 3 will definitly be on PCs Win/Linux and Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Y'know, I'd rather see Apple poach Carmack for an Apple games division which had bought the rights to the Marathon series.

Let's see how 'rogue' Id are when offered lots of M$ dosh. Will they tell them to stick it?

This will be interesting.

Personally, I could wait forever for Doom III. When Halo got sold off to M$, I lost all interest. It just wasn't the same. Know what I'm saying?

As long as Apple bring out a 970 tower. And Adobe bring out an updated Design collection this year?

I'd take that over Doom III.

Lemon Bon Bon