How Apple's iPhone 14 emergency satellite service works for users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Iridium could certainly get a kick up the backside. My brick is the same phone they have been selling for nearly two decades. 

It is interesting that apple provides this for free, but it is severely limited functionality at this time.  .pi reckon after two years it might still be free, apple just didn’t want emergency beacon providers, or current sat service providers  to squeal.

edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 48
    It will be interesting to see what Apple ends up charging for this service after the initial two years are up.
    My guess is that it gets included as part of an Apple One subscription.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    narwhal said:
    This is a feature that other handset manufacturers and Google won't easily be able to copy. Who else would set up all the infrastructure required? Carrier Tmobile might get there, but I imagine their satellite plans will work best with iPhones that have satellite chips already.
    https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/huawei/162557-huawei-mate-50-satellite-messaging

That phone was scheduled for release last year but delayed after Huawei had to re-jig its supply chain after US sanctions. The satellite feature would be old news if it had released on schedule. It is said that next year things will be back to normal with the two flagship series yearly cycle. 
    Oh yes, let's blame it on US sanctions and completely ignore the global pandemic, labor issues, supply chain woes, and component shortages all over. Nope, they woulda done it if it weren't for mean ol' Uncle Sam!

As for it having been old news if it had released on schedule -- well yeah, that's how it works for everybody. But here in our shared reality, that didn't happen.
    If you want to use 'blame' I suppose that is fine but it's not what I said. 

I was simply pointing out a fact. 

The delay in release had literally nothing to do with the pandemic, labor issues etc. 

It was 100% due to sanctions. That is it. Plain and simple.

Can you name any other flagship manufacturer that found itself having to do the same?

No. Of course you can't. They all had labor issues, supply chain disruption and pandemic problems but their release schedules were not put back by a whole year.

I'm not talking about ol' Uncle Sam in a political tone. I'm talking about supply chain re-jigging due to sanctions and the resulting delay and yes, that phone is basically last year's phone but can still hold its own on many fronts even with a 12 month delay. 

Me, I'm fine that the PRC champion, and state owned enterprise, Huawei, has been sanctioned, and deservedly so. merely for the solid evidence of Huawei's surveillance technology in the Xinjiang autonomous region, but of course, there was more to it than that, especially Huawei telecom infrastructure buildout vs national security in the West.

You have been quite vocal that Huawei has access within China, to SOC's suitable for smartphones, which would be the latest 7nm node that SMIC fabs. Huawei being able to "hold its own on so many fronts even with a 12 month delay" seems like a massive win for you. Meanwhile, Android Competitors have absorbed most of Huawei's external marketshare. 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-P50-Pro-review-The-camera-reference-among-smartphones-stands-apart.609087.0.html

"It isn't that long ago that the Huawei P series was one of the most anticipated smartphones of the year. But with the trade war between China and the US, the manufacturer isn't allowed to use Google services, is unable to produce its own chipsets, and has to make do without 5G even in its flagship smartphone. 

Under these difficult circumstances, the P50 Pro attempts to regain its earlier top position and defend its self-chosen label as "photography miracle." Find out in this test, whether it succeeds in these challenges."

Maybe its time for you to consider a handset other than Huawei, given the lack of 5G...

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 48
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    narwhal said:
    This is a feature that other handset manufacturers and Google won't easily be able to copy. Who else would set up all the infrastructure required? Carrier Tmobile might get there, but I imagine their satellite plans will work best with iPhones that have satellite chips already.
    https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/huawei/162557-huawei-mate-50-satellite-messaging

That phone was scheduled for release last year but delayed after Huawei had to re-jig its supply chain after US sanctions. The satellite feature would be old news if it had released on schedule. It is said that next year things will be back to normal with the two flagship series yearly cycle. 
    Oh yes, let's blame it on US sanctions and completely ignore the global pandemic, labor issues, supply chain woes, and component shortages all over. Nope, they woulda done it if it weren't for mean ol' Uncle Sam!

As for it having been old news if it had released on schedule -- well yeah, that's how it works for everybody. But here in our shared reality, that didn't happen.

The delay in release had literally nothing to do with the pandemic, labor issues etc. 

Can you name any other flagship manufacturer that found itself having to do the same?

No. Of course you can't. They all had labor issues, supply chain disruption and pandemic problems but their release schedules were not put back by a whole year.

I'm not talking about ol' Uncle Sam in a political tone. I'm talking about supply chain re-jigging due to sanctions and the resulting delay and yes, that phone is basically last year's phone but can still hold its own on many fronts even with a 12 month delay. 

Me, I'm fine that the PRC champion, and state owned enterprise, Huawei, has been sanctioned, and deservedly so. merely for the solid evidence of Huawei's surveillance technology in the Xinjiang autonomous region, but of course, there was more to it than that, especially Huawei telecom infrastructure buildout vs national security in the West.

You have been quite vocal that Huawei has access within China, to SOC's suitable for smartphones, which would be the latest 7nm node that SMIC fabs. Huawei being able to "hold its own on so many fronts even with a 12 month delay" seems like a massive win for you. Meanwhile, Android Competitors have absorbed most of Huawei's external marketshare. 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-P50-Pro-review-The-camera-reference-among-smartphones-stands-apart.609087.0.html

"It isn't that long ago that the Huawei P series was one of the most anticipated smartphones of the year. But with the trade war between China and the US, the manufacturer isn't allowed to use Google services, is unable to produce its own chipsets, and has to make do without 5G even in its flagship smartphone. 

Under these difficult circumstances, the P50 Pro attempts to regain its earlier top position and defend its self-chosen label as "photography miracle." Find out in this test, whether it succeeds in these challenges."

Maybe its time for you to consider a handset other than Huawei, given the lack of 5G...

Honor has escaped the sanctions, so Avon is not without options. Huawei's situation is terrible though, as you rightly pointed out.
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 25 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    narwhal said:

Forgive me if I hold that a retiree in Spain has zero idea what causes production delays for a technology company in China. I’ve dealt with enough production faults to know things are often not due to a single simple reason, and are often layered failures. That this particular knock-off brand is owned by high-ranking CCP members is likely one of their problems. 

I do know that my half-round gutters were delayed a year due the pandemic supply chain issues, as are automotive computers, etc etc. You simply have no way of knowing exactly what their problems have been. 
    edited September 2022 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    crowley said:
    timmillea said:
    The term "users" in the headline is pejorative and I thought confined to previous decades.

"How Apple's iPhone 14 emergency satellite service works" would have been fine. 
    In what sense is it pejorative?  
    It isn't, at all, and it's ludicrous to say that it is.

The reason why "for users" is in there, is we have a technical version of how this works coming soon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    narwhal said:

A lot of nonsense in all that but reality is reality.

You can't re-jig supply lines and source new suppliers in a couple of months. 

Huawei estimated 2-3 years to do that. On that schedule, 2023 should be an important year. We'll see. 

Huawei says it will be back to the two flagships per year offering next year. 

It is investing in all areas of chip development and manufacturing including EDA. We already know that will deal a huge blow to the US semi-conductor industry in lost revenues. And where will Russia be sourcing its semi-conductor needs once China gets itself self-sufficient? 

Plus the automotive market, cloud, IoT/industrial IoT and AI markets for Huawei to cater to. All while working on 5.5G/6G.

At present SMIC does not have the 7nm capacity to meet Huawei's needs, and to tide things over you can probably expect chip stacking to appear across its phones along with QC chips.

But hey, wasn't it you who claimed China was years away from 7nm? Even though Geely had already announced their own 7nm chip last year. 

With XMAGE Huawei is still class leading in photography. 

The list goes on of course but talking about reality, this latest satellite connecting Mate 50 series just goes to show how ahead of the field they were. 

In smartphones, Honor was a huge segment of its consumer business and is supposedly independent. Well, to all intents and purposes it is, but obviously Huawei DNA is running through it at the moment and with GMS and HMS if needed. Hmmmm. What does that tell you? And if that wasn't enough, We just got a sneak peak of MagicOS 7. Take a peak yourself and tell me it doesn't reek of HarmonyOS. 

The headline features and technologies that were outlined looked like pure HarmonyOS with GMS. 

Again, we'll see. 

I suppose Honor will be next with the satellite connections after Huawei and Apple. 

• Reply 28 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    narwhal said:

Huawei estimated 2-3 years to do that. On that schedule, 2023 should be an important year. We'll see. 

It is investing in all areas of chip development and manufacturing including EDA. We already know that will deal a huge blow to the US semi-conductor industry in lost revenues. And where will Russia be sourcing its semi-conductor needs once China gets itself self-sufficient? 

Plus the automotive market, cloud, IoT/industrial IoT and AI markets for Huawei to cater to. All while working on 5.5G/6G.

At present SMIC does not have the 7nm capacity to meet Huawei's needs, and to tide things over you can probably expect chip stacking to appear across its phones along with QC chips.

But hey, wasn't it you who claimed China was years away from 7nm? Even though Geely had already announced their own 7nm chip last year. 

The list goes on of course but talking about reality, this latest satellite connecting Mate 50 series just goes to show how ahead of the field they were. 

In smartphones, Honor was a huge segment of its consumer business and is supposedly independent. Well, to all intents and purposes it is, but obviously Huawei DNA is running through it at the moment and with GMS and HMS if needed. Hmmmm. What does that tell you? And if that wasn't enough, We just got a sneak peak of MagicOS 7. Take a peak yourself and tell me it doesn't reek of HarmonyOS. 

The headline features and technologies that were outlined looked like pure HarmonyOS with GMS. 

Again, we'll see. 

I suppose Honor will be next with the satellite connections after Huawei and Apple. 

LOL!.

And where will Russia be sourcing its semi-conductor needs once China gets itself self-sufficient
    I don't know, where do Orc's get their semiconductors? Mostly the black market, or repurposing washing machine processors. Still, I have to wonder about the blowback that China will see from that should they provide those to Russia. I might be inclined to believe that there would be even more disruption as the West dismantles more of the supply chain in China. Certainly bad for China's economy, don't you think?

Yeah. China was able to get to 7nm, but without EUV, not really a very productive way to do that. None of this is going to be a "huge blow to the U.S. Semiconductor Industry".

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/biden-visits-intel-groundbreaking-ceremony-new-albany-ohio/530-8cf9bc18-5de6-41c6-b32d-ddff7c04409d

For the record, nobody cares about XMAGE, or MagicOS7, and I certainly never heard of those before today, because most people aren't going to buy a "class leading phone for photography", and give up Google Services, though you certainly would. Huawei's Android OS competitors are hardly going to give up share without a fight.

Oh, and this;

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/09/economy/china-economy-party-congress-intl-hnk-mic/index.html

By the way, and OT, but fuck the PRC for this;

It's not like it's the only case; it's a common occurrence. Probably best for everyone that China is going to be at half of its current population, or even lower than that, by 2060.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    narwhal said:

Again, we'll see. 

LOL!.

And where will Russia be sourcing its semi-conductor needs once China gets itself self-sufficient
    I don't know, where do Orc's get their semiconductors? Mostly the black market, or repurposing washing machine processors. Still, I have to wonder about the blowback that China will see from that should they provide those to Russia. I might be inclined to believe that there would be even more disruption as the West dismantles more of the supply chain in China. Certainly bad for China's economy, don't you think?

Yeah. China was able to get to 7nm, but without EUV, not really a very productive way to do that. None of this is going to be a "huge blow to the U.S. Semiconductor Industry".

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/biden-visits-intel-groundbreaking-ceremony-new-albany-ohio/530-8cf9bc18-5de6-41c6-b32d-ddff7c04409d

For the record, nobody cares about XMAGE, or MagicOS7, and I certainly never heard of those before today, because most people aren't going to buy a "class leading phone for photography", and give up Google Services, though you certainly would. Huawei's Android OS competitors are hardly going to give up share without a fight.

Oh, and this;

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/09/economy/china-economy-party-congress-intl-hnk-mic/index.html

It's not like it's the only case; it's a common occurrence. Probably best for everyone that China is going to be at half of its current population, or even lower than that, by 2060.
    The huge blow to US semiconductor interests has already happened. 

The US Semi-conductor Asociation (representing over 1,000 US companies) wrote directly to the White House warning of the impact of restricting Huawei. That fell on deaf ears.

That move alone cost the US billions in lost revenues from Huawei (since increased through further sanctions and on more Chinese companies).

Now, Huawei and China in general have vastly accelerated plans for US Semi-conductor independence. 

'Blowback' is a non-issue once US technology is out of the equation. The leverage will be gone and it would be foolish to think the Chinese will be keeping their future technologies to themselves. It will go to Russia, Middle East, EU.... Competing directly with US interests (of which few will want to touch for fear of it being weaponised). 

Anyway. Totally irrelevant to this thread, right?

No need to continue this line. 
  • Reply 30 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    narwhal said:

Again, we'll see. 

LOL!.

Oh, and this;

The US Semi-conductor Asociation (representing over 1,000 US companies) wrote directly to the White House warning of the impact of restricting Huawei. That fell on deaf ears.

That move alone cost the US billions in lost revenues from Huawei (since increased through further sanctions and on more Chinese companies).

Now, Huawei and China in general have vastly accelerated plans for US Semi-conductor independence. 

'Blowback' is a non-issue once US technology is out of the equation. The leverage will be gone and it would be foolish to think the Chinese will be keeping their future technologies to themselves. It will go to Russia, Middle East, EU.... Competing directly with US interests (of which few will want to touch for fear of it being weaponised). 

You should focus a bit more on current events, and less on bolstering Huawei's diminishing prospects in the West. The world will be considerably different a year from now, with Russia a failed state, and China at the apogee of decline, with many more supply chains exiting. Huawei is no longer a force in the West, so I suggest that you move on.

Reading about Ukrainian operations around Kharkiv, I am struck yet again by the reality that the biggest conflict in Europe since World War II is taking place because a not-very-bright mid-level KGB guy thought he could recreate an empire that's already failed at least twice.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    narwhal said:

Again, we'll see. 

LOL!.

Oh, and this;

You should focus a bit more on current events, and less on bolstering Huawei's diminishing prospects in the West. The world will be considerably different a year from now, with Russia a failed state, and China at the apogee of decline, with many more supply chains exiting. Huawei is no longer a force in the West, so I suggest that you move on.

Reading about Ukrainian operations around Kharkiv, I am struck yet again by the reality that the biggest conflict in Europe since World War II is taking place because a not-very-bright mid-level KGB guy thought he could recreate an empire that's already failed at least twice.
    I suggest you do the same. Your view is quite skewed and very factually incorrect but this thread isn't about the kind of current events you are talking about. 
    waveparticle
  • Reply 32 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    narwhal said:

Again, we'll see. 

LOL!.

Oh, and this;

I suggest you do the same. Your view is quite skewed and very factually incorrect but this thread isn't about the kind of current events you are talking about. 
    LOL!

You mean those same current events that are actually affecting China?

Do you not think that China is concerned about a newly embolden EU, that as yet, has not signed a trade pact with China? Nor about a NATO that is in fact, interested in supporting Western interests in the Pacific, especially in regard to Taiwan?

https://www.voanews.com/a/indo-pacific-allies-seek-nato-solidarity-amid-china-s-show-of-force-over-taiwan-/6688012.html

Europe ties

The threat from China is also driving closer links between European NATO members and their Asian allies, said Tetsuo Kotani, a professor of global studies at Meikai University and senior fellow at the Japan Institute of International Affairs.

“I think China’s massive military exercise will further connect Asia and Europe in the face of China’s provocation,” Kotani told VOA. “Here in Asia, Japan of course, Australia and New Zealand welcome Europe’s stronger commitment to this region. And more recently, after the change of government, South Korea also is seeking stronger ties with Europe.”

Ukraine invasion

Visiting Washington last month, Japanese Foreign Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi said Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has focused minds on threats in the Indo-Pacific region.

“Even in this region, the logic of brute force is gaining more traction over the rule of law, and the strategic balance in the region is increasingly challenging for Japan and the United States. ... We are facing a watershed moment. What is happening in Ukraine must never be allowed anywhere in the world, including especially in the Indo-Pacific,” Hayashi said.

Enjoy your authoritarian friends...
  • Reply 33 of 48

Micron, Nvidia lead semiconductors higher as GOP warns Apple, Biden visits Intel plant

http://https//seekingalpha.com/news/3881724-micron-nvidia-lead-semiconductors-higher-as-gop-warns-apple-biden-visits-intel-plant?mailingid=29005114&messageid=2900&serial=29005114.14669&source=email_2900&utm_campaign=rta-stock-news&utm_content=link-3&utm_medium=email&utm_source=seeking_alpha&utm_term=29005114.14669

Micron Technology (NASDAQ:MU) and Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) were among the top gainers in the semiconductor industry on Friday as Republican lawmakers warned Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) over the potential use of memory chips from a controversial Chinese company and President Biden visited Intel's (INTC) new plant in Ohio.

Apple (AAPL) has been warned by Republican lawmakers that it will face additional scrutiny from Congress if the tech giant obtains memory chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies for the iPhone. 

Senator Marco Rubio, the vice chair of the Senate intelligence committee and Michael McCaul, a Representative from Texas on the foreign affairs committee, were surprised when they saw media reports that Apple (AAPL) was looking at obtaining chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies for the iPhone.

"Apple is playing with fire,” Rubio said in an interview with the Financial Times. "It knows the security risks posed by YMTC. If it moves forward, it will be subject to scrutiny like it has never seen from the federal government. We cannot allow Chinese companies beholden to the Communist party into our telecommunications networks and millions of Americans’ iPhones."

At the time, Seeking Alpha reported that such a tie-up could be met with criticism due to the Chinese company's connections with the Beijing government.

Cupertino, California-based Apple (AAPL) told the FT it does not use chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies in any product, but added that it was "evaluating sourcing from YMTC for NAND chips to be used in some iPhones sold in China."

• Reply 34 of 48

Micron, Nvidia lead semiconductors higher as GOP warns Apple, Biden visits Intel plant

http://https//seekingalpha.com/news/3881724-micron-nvidia-lead-semiconductors-higher-as-gop-warns-apple-biden-visits-intel-plant?mailingid=29005114&messageid=2900&serial=29005114.14669&source=email_2900&utm_campaign=rta-stock-news&utm_content=link-3&utm_medium=email&utm_source=seeking_alpha&utm_term=29005114.14669

Micron Technology (NASDAQ:MU) and Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) were among the top gainers in the semiconductor industry on Friday as Republican lawmakers warned Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) over the potential use of memory chips from a controversial Chinese company and President Biden visited Intel's (INTC) new plant in Ohio.

Apple (AAPL) has been warned by Republican lawmakers that it will face additional scrutiny from Congress if the tech giant obtains memory chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies for the iPhone. 

Senator Marco Rubio, the vice chair of the Senate intelligence committee and Michael McCaul, a Representative from Texas on the foreign affairs committee, were surprised when they saw media reports that Apple (AAPL) was looking at obtaining chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies for the iPhone.

"Apple is playing with fire,” Rubio said in an interview with the Financial Times. "It knows the security risks posed by YMTC. If it moves forward, it will be subject to scrutiny like it has never seen from the federal government. We cannot allow Chinese companies beholden to the Communist party into our telecommunications networks and millions of Americans’ iPhones."

At the time, Seeking Alpha reported that such a tie-up could be met with criticism due to the Chinese company's connections with the Beijing government.

Cupertino, California-based Apple (AAPL) told the FT it does not use chips from Yangtze Memory Technologies in any product, but added that it was "evaluating sourcing from YMTC for NAND chips to be used in some iPhones sold in China."

LOL!

I'm not sure what your point is, but I'm in agreement that Apple needs to recreate a majority of its supply chain, and assembly operations, outside of China, and better sooner, than later.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 48
    tmay said:

LOL!

I'm not sure what your point is, but I'm in agreement that Apple needs to recreate a majority of its supply chain, and assembly operations, outside of China, and better sooner, than later.

Realistically, Apple can do that, but would probably need to use Chinese companies anyway. Just off Chinese soil. 

And when China becomes self sufficient in chip production Apple may find it difficult to resist the lower costs that will surely result. Remember, no one doubts China will reach it technological goals. The only question is 'when'. 

Of course, the further Apple moves assembly from China, the more likely it is that China could ban it from the mainland (a threat that has never gone away).

It isn't an easy situation for Apple to be in. It is treading a fine line. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

LOL!

Realistically, Apple can do that, but would probably need to use Chinese companies anyway. Just off Chinese soil. 

And when China becomes self sufficient in chip production Apple may find it difficult to resist the lower costs that will surely result. Remember, no one doubts China will reach it technological goals. The only question is 'when'. 

Of course, the further Apple moves assembly from China, the more likely it is that China could ban it from the mainland (a threat that has never gone away).

"No one doubts that China will reach its technological goals"

Remember when I stated the SMIC had barely got to 7nm, and you mocked me for stating that they would never get to 7nm? Here's how SMIC did it;

One of China’s major microchip foundries, the Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC), having previously said that it planned to maximise the production of less advanced microprocessors, has just announced that it will begin manufacture at the 7 nanometer production node. But it transpires that SMIC have, so to speak, gone about this the long way round, using Deep Ultraviolet Lithography tools which it has been able to stockpile to expose the silicon to light three or even four times in contrast to the once needed for Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography. It is doubtful whether this process can ever be commercially competitive.

Actually, there are various people, organizations, and countries, that would disagree with that, but then again, its all about moving the goalpost in your world.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/cff/2022/09/01/is-chinas-semiconductor-strategy-working/

China has little prospect of achieving either dominance or self-reliance in semiconductors, but it is becoming a major player in this globalised value chain, a trend that US-led efforts are unlikely to derail

• Reply 37 of 48
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

LOL!

Remember when I stated the SMIC had barely got to 7nm, and you mocked me for stating that they would never get to 7nm? Here's how SMIC did it;

One of China’s major microchip foundries, the Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC), having previously said that it planned to maximise the production of less advanced microprocessors, has just announced that it will begin manufacture at the 7 nanometer production node. But it transpires that SMIC have, so to speak, gone about this the long way round, using Deep Ultraviolet Lithography tools which it has been able to stockpile to expose the silicon to light three or even four times in contrast to the once needed for Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography. It is doubtful whether this process can ever be commercially competitive.

Actually, there are various people, organizations, and countries, that would disagree with that, but then again, its all about moving the goalpost in your world.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/cff/2022/09/01/is-chinas-semiconductor-strategy-working/

China has little prospect of achieving either dominance or self-reliance in semiconductors, but it is becoming a major player in this globalised value chain, a trend that US-led efforts are unlikely to derail

I don't mock people. I might use an ironic tone sometimes but never with the intent of mocking anyone. 

The point was you said 7nm was many years away. It wasn't. In fact it was already done. DUV might not be the most cost effective or efficient way of getting there but it's done.

Just another step along the way and no one doubts they will get there. My bet is that it will be far sooner than anyone thinks. In fact it looks like they have already cracked the technological aspect of EUV lithography using new homegrown advances. The problem now is converting that into a usable scanner.

But that has nothing to do with Apple or the satellite features. 
  • Reply 38 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

LOL!

I don't mock people. I might use an ironic tone sometimes but never with the intent of mocking anyone. 

The point was you said 7nm was many years away. It wasn't. In fact it was already done. DUV might not be the most cost effective or efficient way of getting there but it's done.

Just another step along the way and no one doubts they will get there. My bet is that it will be far sooner than anyone thinks. In fact it looks like they have already cracked the technological aspect of EUV lithography using new homegrown advances. The problem now is converting that into a usable scanner.

Seriously, there you go again;

In fact it looks like they have already cracked the technological aspect of EUV lithography using new homegrown advances
    Link please, and you must be aware that there are already systems beyond EUV being built in the West, that China will also have to catch up to. See how that works?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/10/asmls-high-na-euv-lithography-machine-is-set-to-transform-chipmaking.html

You keep posting in support of China and Huawei, but you hardly ever link to any reliable Western sources. Your bias is apparent.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

LOL!

In fact it looks like they have already cracked the technological aspect of EUV lithography using new homegrown advances
    Link please, and you must be aware that there are already systems beyond EUV being built in the West, that China will also have to catch up to. See how that work?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/10/asmls-high-na-euv-lithography-machine-is-set-to-transform-chipmaking.html

You keep posting in support of China and Huawei, but you hardly ever link to any reliable Western sources. Your bias is apparent.
    LOL You are contradicting yourself. 
  • Reply 40 of 48
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

LOL!

Link please, and you must be aware that there are already systems beyond EUV being built in the West, that China will also have to catch up to. See how that work?

LOL You are contradicting yourself. 
    How am I contradicting myself?
    watto_cobra