Apple isn't done with 2022 -- here's what's still coming

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    JinTech said:
    AniMill said:
    So back to the article’s subject…

Now the Apple released their 🍎Watch Ultra, I’m certain that the upcoming Mac Pro’s top CPU will be a “M2 Extreme.” Why, we have the Mac M1 Ultras already, so a “extreme” name is in order w/ extreme performance intended for the Mac Pro contingent. I’m hoping that we’ll see the following systems:

1. Mac Mini Pro, iMac Pro, & Mac Studio: M2 Pro w/ up to 48GB RAM , 12-core CPU, 24-core GPU
      2. iMac Pro, Mac Studio, & Mac Pro: M2 Max w/ 96GB RAM , 12-core CPU, 48-core GPU
      3. Mac Studio & Mac Pro: M2 Ultra w/ 192GB RAM , 24-core CPU, 96-core GPU
      4. Mac Pro: M2 Extreme w/ 384GB RAM, 48-core CPU, 192-core GPU (yikes!)

I wouldn’t be surprised if the M2 Extreme is not just 4x M2 Max chips welded together, but maybe even 6 or 8! Also, to appease the RAM gods, maybe they’ll add special RAM-a-lama-DingDong extreme side-integrated expansion providing an additional 1TB SSD-Cache?

All I want is the #3 option Mac Studio at around $6500 - that would be a beast.

OK, back to the Euro discussion…
    What if, the reason why not all the new iPhones have an A16 is because Apple is reserving some of them to morph into M3 Extreme chips for the MacPro? Just speculation! 
    Speculation is fun. This is just what I want to happen. Here’s to October being more for Mac users than iPhone/iPad users. 👍
    JinTech9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I am pretty sure that the new M2 MacBook Pros will be based on 4nm process, not 5nm process. Apple said that A16 is created on 4nm process and it's likely that it will use the same process. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    netrox said:
    I am pretty sure that the new M2 MacBook Pros will be based on 4nm process, not 5nm process. Apple said that A16 is created on 4nm process and it's likely that it will use the same process. 

But would an A16 SoC be an M2 or M3?  :)
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    netrox said:
    Yes, that’s correct. And it’s thought to be the N4P process. It’s useful to know that it is still 5nm, “4nm” is just a name, indicating further refinements. TSMC has four generations of 5nm: N5, N5P, N4, and N4P.

So the M2 being N5P (A15) and M2 Pro/Max being N4P (A16), nicely mirrors the iPhone 14 and 14 Pro divide.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Why will apple not make a Mac Pro that is at an affordable price comparable to the 2012 Mac Pro?  I have been a Faithful Mac Desktop user since the SE30 came out.  I don't want a iMac or a Mac mini or a Mac Studio.  I don't want to be restricted to buying their memory or storage devices at criminal prices.  I still use and get by with my 2012 Mac Pro but it is long in the tooth.  What have I done to Apple to make them hate no maybe even despise me for wanting an affordable Mac Pro like the old and very dependable 2012.  Don't get me wrong they make some nice products that they love but how about what we want.....Sad........
    danoxmobird
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Why will apple not make a Mac Pro that is at an affordable price comparable to the 2012 Mac Pro?  I have been a Faithful Mac Desktop user since the SE30 came out.  I don't want a iMac or a Mac mini or a Mac Studio.  I don't want to be restricted to buying their memory or storage devices at criminal prices.  I still use and get by with my 2012 Mac Pro but it is long in the tooth.  What have I done to Apple to make them hate no maybe even despise me for wanting an affordable Mac Pro like the old and very dependable 2012.  Don't get me wrong they make some nice products that they love but how about what we want.....Sad........
    Are you just now realizing that Apple is no longer the same company they were ten years ago?
    jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    netrox said:
    Yes, that’s correct. And it’s thought to be the N4P process. It’s useful to know that it is still 5nm, “4nm” is just a name, indicating further refinements. TSMC has four generations of 5nm: N5, N5P, N4, and N4P.

So the M2 being N5P (A15) and M2 Pro/Max being N4P (A16), nicely mirrors the iPhone 14 and 14 Pro divide.
    No, Apple literally said, "4 nanometer" - here's a screenshot of the video:

9secondkox2
  • Reply 28 of 39
    netrox said:
    netrox said:

No, maybe you should take like three seconds to look it up before responding. This is text directly from the TSMC site:

“TSMC’s 5nm (N5) Fin Field-Effect Transistor (FinFET) technology successfully entered volume production in the second quarter of 2020 and experienced a strong ramp in the second half of 2020. […]

In addition, TSMC plans to launch 4nm (N4) technology, an enhanced version of N5 technology. N4 provides further enhancement in performance, power and density for the next wave of N5 products. The development of N4 technology is on schedule with good progress, and volume production is expected to start in 2022.”

Source: https://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/logic/l_5nm

It’s been broadly discussed as such — it’s not a secret or anything. 

edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    netrox said:
    netrox said:

No, maybe you should take like three seconds to look it up before responding. This is text directly from the TSMC site:

“TSMC’s 5nm (N5) Fin Field-Effect Transistor (FinFET) technology successfully entered volume production in the second quarter of 2020 and experienced a strong ramp in the second half of 2020. […]

In addition, TSMC plans to launch 4nm (N4) technology, an enhanced version of N5 technology. N4 provides further enhancement in performance, power and density for the next wave of N5 products. The development of N4 technology is on schedule with good progress, and volume production is expected to start in 2022.”

Um… it’s been 2022 for a while now… plenty of time to have produced the A16 at 4nm and Apple is stating that explicitly and emphatically. It’s 4nm - actually matching the statement and timeline you quoted. There is no disagreement or contradiction. 
    edited September 2022 watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 30 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    I had a feeling that continuous non-invasive glucose monitoring on a watch was going to happen this year with Apple, Huawei and Samsung being the key candidates.

That now looks unlikely for 2022 unless it is rolled into a separate wearable device which I suppose is unlikely for Apple.

My hopes will move into 2023.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    CiaranF said:
    Apple mightn’t de done with 2022

But after last nights feeble attempts with “Dynamic Island” “I’m done with Apple. 

I wasn’t impressed. I was even more gutted when I saw their price for a base model iphone 14 pro in the EU. €1339 for a base model when last years 13 Pro was €1079. So after 14 years of accepting your feeble increments every year and putting up with your price increases I’ve decided that I can but an S22U with Watch Pro 5 for less and probably get the buds thrown in too for not much more. 

You’re ok if you’re in the US though. They haven’t increased their price. 

This is the last straw Apple. With your zero innovation and greedy money grabbing prices. 

Goodbye and good riddance. 
    Bye Felicia!  :D
    jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Mac Studio enters chat...
    watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 33 of 39
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    JinTech said:
    Are you just now realizing that Apple is no longer the same company they were ten years ago?
    Apple no longer uses Intel chips in their new computers, but the same marketing slotting/placement delays continue to be a problem with a sad indecisive release schedule, well we now know Intel wasn’t the entire problem.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    macxpress said:
    Mac Studio enters chat...
    The Mac Studio is Apple providing a Pallas Cat, when the true need is a Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    danox said:
    JinTech said:
    Apple no longer uses Intel chips in their new computers, but the same marketing slotting/placement delays continue to be a problem with a sad indecisive release schedule, well we now know Intel wasn’t the entire problem.
    The only reason we have delays is because of the supply chain shortages. I would say Apple doing much better at releasing Mac hardware now that they are using their own processors. It hasn’t been completely consistent but I have no doubt we will get there in the next couple of years. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    The problem is that is that while that’s what you want, and maybe even what I want, the overwhelming majority of users don’t care about upgradeable RAM or replacing drives. I had a string of Mac Pros back in the day, blue/white, graphite, quicksilver, and a couple of others. Being able to do your own upgrades, and customizing was great. But that’s not what most users want today. They aren’t going to open the case on their computer any more than they might try and upgrade their waffle iron. They want to buy a system that is simple, fast, reliable, and does what they want. So that’s why Apple is making their systems like this. You may not like it. I don’t like it. But that’s the way it is so whattayagonnado?
    jeffharriswatto_cobramacxpress
  • Reply 37 of 39
    netrox said:
    netrox said:

Um… it’s been 2022 for a while now… plenty of time to have produced the A16 at 4nm and Apple is stating that explicitly and emphatically. It’s 4nm - actually matching the statement and timeline you quoted. There is no disagreement or contradiction. 
    The point is that the so-called “4nm” is still the 5nm tech. It’s inaccurate to suggest that it’s not, which is what netrox did. 4nm (N4 and N4P) is just a marketing name.

Yes, it is a refinement. But no, it’s completely wrong to suggest it is like the transition from 5nm to 3nm technology, or from 7nm to 5nm before that, or from 10nm to 7nm before that. 
    edited September 2022 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 39
    DAalseth said:
    The problem is that is that while that’s what you want, and maybe even what I want, the overwhelming majority of users don’t care about upgradeable RAM or replacing drives. I had a string of Mac Pros back in the day, blue/white, graphite, quicksilver, and a couple of others. Being able to do your own upgrades, and customizing was great. But that’s not what most users want today. They aren’t going to open the case on their computer any more than they might try and upgrade their waffle iron. They want to buy a system that is simple, fast, reliable, and does what they want. So that’s why Apple is making their systems like this. You may not like it. I don’t like it. But that’s the way it is so whattayagonnado?
    This! I just don't understand why people don't get this. With systems like Mac Pro, these users just wanna take a Mac out of the box, install their software and get to work and they use the hell out of it until they see where they can buy a better system a couple/few years down the road. They don't have time to fuck around with upgrading systems. They'll just buy something better if they see where their current Mac isn't performing as well as they'd like anymore. They'll buy exactly what they need and maybe a little more and just use it until it either breaks or isn't efficient for them. I'm not talking about the person who does photography/videography on the side or as a part-time job. I'm talking about production studios, businesses they use them for science, media, etc. People who are willing to shell out $6,000-25,000/Mac to get the shit they need done. Time is money to them and spending it changing RAM, or swapping storage modules is just wasting time for them, especially when they have 50+ Macs to upgrade. They just don't upgrade nor do they care to. 

Apple knows their customer base pretty damn well and it's annoying when armchair experts come into a forum and bitch because Apple doesn't make what "they" want and think just because they and a few buddies/co-workers need this then the rest of millions of Apple users also need this. 
    edited September 2022 spheric