iPhone 14 will be sold in Russia despite Apple's departure

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    rob53 said:
    What people need to realize is that the majority of a country's population generally wants to be friendly to other countries. It's the politicians and government along with the fringe that ruin everything. I don't have any issues with Russians, in fact I ran into a Russian student who was doing post grad work in the US. She was nice. Putin is the face of Russia but I really don't think he's the embodiment of Russian citizens. 
    That's not even good anecdotal evidence, and your statement is merely your opinion, unsupported by any evidence, which I shall be pleased to ignore.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 41
    JP234 said:
    The more iPhones Apple sells in Russia, the better. In fact, the more iPhones Apple sells anywhere in the world, the better. And I don't mean just for Apple shareholders. An iPhone is the only means of access to factual information and vital services in totalitarian nations like Russia. If there's to be a revolution, there has to be coordination, as recently seen during the Arab Spring.

If that were true, Russia wouldn't even be allowing them into the country, much less working to circumvent sanctions to bring them there.  An iPhone isn't magic - it is still at the mercy of the network it's connected to.
    baconstang
  • Reply 23 of 41
    cpsro said:
    Madbum said:
    Russian people are not Putin

also Ukraine Government bans males 18-60 from leaving country and separate Families

Makes  you wonder if everything your head in the media is true about how Ukrainians are so eager to fight Russians forever, why they would need thAt rule?🤔
    That Gorbachev was a failure is not an uncommon opinion of Russians and it's most certainly Putin's opinion.
    Nobody is eager to fight forever, but sovereign nations will do what they have to to remain independent. The U.S. has drafted able-bodied men many times. If Ukraine was a member of NATO, we'd for sure have a presence there and Zelenskyy's government probably wouldn't need to conscript older men. These are not normal times and Ukraine will one day (hopefully soon) be a NATO member.
    I think Gorby was a failure. He had no plan for if Thatcher and Reagan out performed and out manoeuvred him, and so he had nothing planned to replace the communist state, say for example with a functional parliamentary democracy with property rights and rule of law. So Russia got anarchy and robber barons.

as for the Ukraine business, just because Russia is an invading baddy didn’t mean the Ukraine government are goodies. They don’t mind a bit of graft and corruption either. Baddies vs baddies imho. I would also take a lot of Ukraine sourced war stories with a grain of salt. How many atrocities have you heard that suddenly get spoken of no more a day or so later? Is that what would happen in any other situation?

maybe I have grown too cynical with age.
    waveparticlewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 41
    entropys said:
    cpsro said:
    Madbum said:

also Ukraine Government bans males 18-60 from leaving country and separate Families

Makes  you wonder if everything your head in the media is true about how Ukrainians are so eager to fight Russians forever, why they would need thAt rule?🤔
    That Gorbachev was a failure is not an uncommon opinion of Russians and it's most certainly Putin's opinion.
    Nobody is eager to fight forever, but sovereign nations will do what they have to to remain independent. The U.S. has drafted able-bodied men many times. If Ukraine was a member of NATO, we'd for sure have a presence there and Zelenskyy's government probably wouldn't need to conscript older men. These are not normal times and Ukraine will one day (hopefully soon) be a NATO member.
    I think Gorby was a failure. He had no plan for if Thatcher and Reagan out performed and out manoeuvred him, and so he had nothing planned to replace the communist state, say for example with a functional parliamentary democracy with property rights and rule of law. So Russia got anarchy and robber barons.

as for the Ukraine business, just because Russia is an invading baddy didn’t mean the Ukraine government are goodies. They don’t mind a bit of graft and corruption either. Baddies vs baddies imho. I would also take a lot of Ukraine sourced war stories with a grain of salt. How many atrocities have you heard that suddenly get spoken of no more a day or so later? Is that what would happen in any other situation?

• Reply 25 of 41
    entropys said:
    cpsro said:
    Madbum said:

Oh boy, another Tankie,

Dude, keep up on current events. The Russians are getting their asses kicked because they are immensely incompetent and corrupt, and Ukraine's military has been near brilliant. Western support made a difference, obviously, but Russian incompetence is rife.
    Alex_Vbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 41
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    As an AAPL shareholder, naturally, I am pleased the the common people of Russia, will be able to purchase the items they need in their lives.  But I am even more happy about AppleInsider not locking down comments under this otherwise "political" post.  Freedom to comment is preferred over lockdowns.  Goodness knows we've had enough of those.
    AlexeyVbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 41
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    tmay said:
    entropys said:
    cpsro said:
    Madbum said:

Makes  you wonder if everything your head in the media is true about how Ukrainians are so eager to fight Russians forever, why they would need thAt rule?ߤ䦬t;/div>

Oh boy, another Tankie,

Dude, keep up on current events. The Russians are getting their asses kicked because they are immensely incompetent and corrupt, and Ukraine's military has been near brilliant. Western support made a difference, obviously, but Russian incompetence is rife.
    In a war battles can go one way and then next battle another. Sure Russians appear incompetent. I am not sure what their objectives are either in the first place. I would assume stop the ethnic cleaning by certain groups where there are a lot of Russian ethnics, get better Black Sea access and keep nato away from their borders. Some of those Putin may have already achieved, others will be a manifest fail, like the NATO bit.  

But I am also cynical enough to not just accept the Ukrainian version of particular activities either.  There may be a fair bit of over egging going on.
    edited September 2022 AlexeyVwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 41
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    DAalseth said:
    If that’s the case then they need stronger sanctions. 
    Reminds me of an old Soviet joke. A son comes to his drank dad and asks how much does vodka cost.
    – 3 rubles a bottle, son
    – dad, would you drink less if it would cost 5 rubles?
    – no, son
    – and if it would cost 10 rubles?
    – nope
    – and if 25??
    – no, son, but you would eat less

Sanctions in their current form won’t work.

DAalseth said:
    Putin is already killing some of the Oligarchs that have come out not supporting the war.
    Names, please. Who are (were) those some?
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/russian-oil-chief-dies-fall-135226214.html
    They seem to “fall ill” and die. :'(  Sanctions help. Have fun with those janky North Korean armaments, Vald. Maybe you’d better retreat to your Moscow Shangri-La before winter strikes.

edited September 2022 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 41
    cpsro said:
    DAalseth said:
    Reminds me of an old Soviet joke. A son comes to his drank dad and asks how much does vodka cost.
    – 3 rubles a bottle, son
    – no, son
    – nope
    – and if 25??

DAalseth said:
    Putin is already killing some of the Oligarchs that have come out not supporting the war.
    They seem to “fall ill” and die. :'(  Sanctions help. Have fun with those janky North Korean armaments, Vald. Maybe you’d better retreat to your Moscow Shangri-La before winter strikes.

That counts for one. One isn’t ’some’. You say ‘some’, another says ‘a number of’, and in no time you read ‘many’ in the news. So, please try to keep your critical thinking ‘always on’.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 41
    What you have to realize is that the USSR generations just watch television for all their information, and TV is totally controlled by the government.

Younger Russians use VPNs and get information from the internet at large, and most of them are against the Special Military Operation.

The thing both have in common is they all seem to be totally divorced from what their country is doing; none of them thinks that anything they do make a speck of difference in what Putin and the Russian government is going to do. Russian elections are going on right now, and all opposition candidates have been jailed. Anyone who vocally opposes the war has had to leave the country - even calling the conflict a war can get you a 15 year jail term.

Interviews with remaining Russian citizens seem to show that practically none of them is introspective and thinks about the atrocities being committed by Russian forces - they all seem very privileged and think they should have the freedom to travel to other lands, and even the newly minted Russians say that if they're denied travel visas the offending country is an enemy - so the difference between the USSR generations and post USSR Russians may simply be a new coat of paint. Russians seem very naïve, though that naiveté may simply be them being cagy and avoiding persecution.

There are rural and urban Russians, and all the troops come from the more impoverished rural setting.

Of the urban areas, only Moscow and St. Petersburg really count, and none of grunts are from these areas.

Russia is throwing forces in Ukraine as fast as they can, and they come from prisons and anywhere they can get personnel - a big source of troops is the occupied areas of Ukraine taken by Russian in 2014, and men from those areas are being conscripted at an alarming rate.

Anyway, enough of this off-topic post, except to say that Apple gear is a ton more expensive now in Russia than it was when Apple marketed devices legitimately.
    What about the atrocities in eastern Ukraine since 2014? Over the thousand Ukrainians died. That is far more than the deaths at present? People talking about facts here. This is big laugh. In the West when you talked about facts against media and government you will be labeled as propaganda. 
    Wait. Over the thousand Ukrainians died since 2014 and it’s more than over 10.000 in the 2022-current war? 1000 is more than 10.000? Something doesn’t add up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 41
    AlexeyV said:
    One more time, stop reading mass media and use your own head.
    DAalseth said:
    We must do whatever it takes to stop the Putin-fascist forces.

By any means necessary. 
    Have you ever been there, to say such a words? How many real Ukrainians (especially which don’t speak Ukrainian) do you talk with, to really know what happening there?
    Now fewer people from Ukraine have the luxury to comment on such sites as this, or any other site at all. The war requires the prioritize things a little differently. So I was wandering why it matters if another person was there.

And what is about “real” Ukrainians? What is the definition of “real” in that case?
    And why you have so much focus on those who DON’T speak Ukrainian?  Is it a part of being “real”?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 41
    entropys said:
    cpsro said:
    Madbum said:

It seems that you imply that Gorby could have lead the country to a prosperous future without it sliding briefly to a more difficult situation.

Please show me the country where the change of the regime was immediately prosperous for the country.

Baddies vs baddies. Ok, I see. How would you call a person who slips peacefully at nicht, and then hears a robber in his house, and then starts protecting his daughter from robber who has already killed his his wife?
    By your logic, it seems, this house owner just because he faced a baddy becomes automatically baddy as well.

You haven’t “grown” too cynical with the age. It doesn’t seem do be growth. It seems that you lost something along the way…

• Reply 33 of 41
    Baddies don’t turn into goodies just because they are attacked by a bigger baddie and are the underdog.
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 41
    entropys said:
    Baddies don’t turn into goodies just because they are attacked by a bigger baddie and are the underdog.
    Actually, you are completely wrong

On June 23, 2022, the European Parliament adopted a resolution calling for the immediate granting of candidate status for EU membership to Ukraine. On the same day, the European Council granted Ukraine the status of a candidate for accession to the EU.
    Merely to gain candidate status, based on a number of prequalifications, means that "Ukraine isn't a baddie".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 41
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    AlexeyV said:
    DAalseth said:

By any means necessary. 
    Have you ever been there, to say such a words? How many real Ukrainians (especially which don’t speak Ukrainian) do you talk with, to really know what happening there?
    So Stop reading reliable and diverse news sources with feet on the ground in Russia and Ukraine and believe a Russian apologies who provides no evidence? 

And to your point: one of my (recent) co-workers is a Russian from Ukraine - several family member were trapped in Ukraine when Russia invaded. So, them. They really don't like Putin.
    watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 36 of 41
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Russia has a scheme in place that allows retailers to import products from overseas without needing permission from the trademark owner, A senior government official confirmed that the iPhone 14 would be covered by the program, reports Reuters.

Ok, but Apple still has a say in product exports. It's explicitly in reseller contracts not to cross-sell.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 41
    cpsro said:
    DAalseth said:
    – 3 rubles a bottle, son
    – no, son
    – nope
    – and if 25??

DAalseth said:

That counts for one. One isn’t ’some’. You say ‘some’, another says ‘a number of’, and in no time you read ‘many’ in the news. So, please try to keep your critical thinking ‘always on’.
    Sorry to point out the obvious, but the linked article cites 4 unusual deaths--unusual for the Western world, but not for Putin. Nice try at trying to cover it up, Vlad.
    The link again is https://www.yahoo.com/news/russian-oil-chief-dies-fall-135226214.html
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Well, better do not read any news at all. I prefer to speak in person with people who live there. When you talk with Kyiv citizens, the events that are taking place do not seem so obvious (since 2014).
    mknelson said:
    AlexeyV said:
    DAalseth said:

By any means necessary. 
    So Stop reading reliable and diverse news sources with feet on the ground in Russia and Ukraine and believe a Russian apologies who provides no evidence? 

And to your point: one of my (recent) co-workers is a Russian from Ukraine - several family member were trapped in Ukraine when Russia invaded. So, them. They really don't like Putin.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 41
    1348513485 Posts: 347member

CNN: September 2, 2022: At least eight Russian businessmen have died in apparent suicide or unexplained accidents in just six months.

AND NOW NINE:
    Daily Beast: September 13, 2022: A Russian executive tasked with helping to oversee Russia's far eastern development died in a bizarre fall from a moving boat, just days after attending an economic forum with...President Vladimir Putin.

Russians in power are known for their expertise, honed for hundreds of years, in the use of poison as a means of controlling the ambitious or troublesome. Accidents happen, of course, but perhaps these unfortunates were simply running with scissors, or crossed a busy intersection against the light, or slippery North Korean Great Leader Deck Shoes, things like that.

"Few", "Some". Or can we just tell you the truth: "increasing numbers"

Sorry for your headache. Schmerzen indeed.
    edited September 2022 cpsrotmay
  • Reply 40 of 41
    AlexeyV said:
    Well, better do not read any news at all. I prefer to speak in person with people who live there. When you talk with Kyiv citizens, the events that are taking place do not seem so obvious (since 2014).
    mknelson said:
    AlexeyV said:
    DAalseth said:

By any means necessary. 

As of May this year, somewhere around 15 million Ukrainian refugees and displaced by Putin's war. That's a lot of people to speak with.
    tmay