Apple TV+ didn't seriously consider deal to stream LIV Golf events

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
LIV Golf will not be added to the Apple TV+ line up of live sports, after the streamer passed on an offer.

(Source; LIV Golf)
(Source; LIV Golf)

Apple TV+ has gone big on MLB, it tried to get the Big Ten Conference, and it's created a raft of sports programming, but it won't be adding LIV Golf. According to the Wall Street Journal, Apple didn't even seriously consider the deal being offered by the golfing company.

LIV Golf is a Saudi Arabian-backed company, and the Wall Street Journal says the firm has been accused of attempting to improve the image of the country. The publication claims LIV Golf is seen as trying to repair Saudi Arabia's reputation following various cases of human rights abuses.

Whether that played in to Apple's decision or not, the rejection by Apple TV+ follows a similar refusal by Amazon. And the streamers' decision not to take the LIV Golf deal follows that company also being turned down by ESPN, CBS, NBC, Fox, and possibly more.

An LIV spokesperson told the Wall Street Journal that the company was just beginning to enter what was described as the auction phrase for its golfing media rights.

"We're bullish about our prospects given our player field and the quality of our product," LIV Golf Chief Media Officer Will Staeger told the publication.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I’m a golf fan, weekend hacker and enjoy watching golf on tv.  But I watch it for the excitement of the intense competition of PGA Tournaments.  LIV Golf doesn’t check that box for me.  I have zero interest on watching their golf knowing it’s more of a social party (private jets and partying) for them as they have promoted to prospective PGA players to join.
    I have nothing against those players for jumping to take the dazzling millions from the Saudis. If I was good enough to being in the position to consider taking the huge money, it would definitely be a big decision.  
    But, back to the original statement, it’s not a viewable or sustaining sport product for me.  
    Good luck to them
    neoncatfotoformaturashidmwhite
  • Reply 2 of 9
    It's nice to know that there are still some corporate execs who have the good sense to steer clear of countries and monarchs that engage in gruesome murder of dissenters as part of normal government policy.  And let's not forget, the medieval status of women.
    fotoformatbaconstangmwhite
  • Reply 3 of 9
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    tundraboy said:
    It's nice to know that there are still some corporate execs who have the good sense to steer clear of countries and monarchs that engage in gruesome murder of dissenters as part of normal government policy.  And let's not forget, the medieval status of women.
    Exactly. This is just them trying to polish a very rotten apple.
    (no pun intended)
    mwhite
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    tundraboy said:
    Yes, the US under the GOP is a scary place.
    Spitbaththtdewmeronniyfcalvinbaconstang
  • Reply 5 of 9
    But But it’s ok to China….arrogant 
  • Reply 6 of 9
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    But But it’s ok to China….arrogant 
    Just because someone isn’t perfect, doesn’t do everything you want them to do, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be praised for what they do get right. To demand absolute perfection by any person or human endeavour, now THAT is true arrogance. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Golf = Tiger Woods to most of the American public. There's not nearly as much interest in the sport if he isn't regularly competing...so both the PGA Tour and LIV are going to struggle with getting viewership/attendance and golf in general will struggle to get the average American interested in taking up the sport due to Woods' competitive career being nearly over.
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Same people complaint about Saudi golf or whatever fake news crap…..

keep that same energy as you pump “Saudi gas” into your car 
  • Reply 9 of 9

Apple TV+ didn't seriously consider deal to stream LIV Golf events

Good.