Dynamic Island expected to replace notch on all iPhone 15 models

Posted:
in iPhone
The Dynamic Island of the iPhone 14 Pro will probably make it to the rest of Apple's iPhone range, an analyst believes, with the display of standard iPhones expected to get the replacement for the infamous notch.

Apple's inclusion of the Dynamic Island as a way to provide notifications and hide cut-outs in the display has seemingly become a hit for users keen to get away from the notch. While limited to the Pro models in 2022, one analyst thinks that the 2023 releases may all get the feature.

Posting to Twitter on Sunday about the iPhone 15 range's display features, Ross Young of Display Supply Chain Consultants claims Dynamic Island is "expected on standard models on the 15." Such a change would also mean Apple will be making alterations to the cutouts in the iPhone display to enable the UI feature.

In further discussion, Young doubts that other major 2022 Pro model additions will make the cut for 2023. A switch to "120Hz/LTPO on standard models" isn't expected, effectively ruling out features like ProMotion and an always-on screen.

Young insists that the "supply chain cannot support" such changes at this time. "I don't think BOE will be ready for LTPO in 2023 at Apple's scale," Young reasons, adding 2024 "would be a better bet."

If correct, users could end up waiting until the iPhone 16 for an always-on display, if they don't upgrade to Pro models in the meantime.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    How unfortunate.

There's a much better technology that will eliminate the vacant spots in the display entirely.

It's called a bezel.
    lkruppcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 15
    darkvader said:
    How unfortunate.

There's a much better technology that will eliminate the vacant spots in the display entirely.

It's called a bezel.
    This is only being repeated for like the 1,822,828,992th time, but... since the top of the display is taken up by status icons and the navigation bar, a top bezel would result in less overall screen space available for messages, mail, and most of the other applications people use daily on their devices.

I'd get used to it if I were you. I don't think Apple would have leaned so heavily into the concept if it was just going to be around for an iteration or two.
    Oferwatto_cobrajeffharrislkruppStrangeDaysgrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Unless all iPhone 15 models are OLED (or mini-LED, for that matter) I don’t see this as well-executed on the “lesser” iPhones. Without the absolute black you get with an OLED panel, the dynamic island will look funky on an LCD.
    watto_cobraravnorodomlkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 15
    sbdude said:
    Unless all iPhone 15 models are OLED (or mini-LED, for that matter) I don’t see this as well-executed on the “lesser” iPhones. Without the absolute black you get with an OLED panel, the dynamic island will look funky on an LCD.
    All iPhone 12, 13 and 14 models are OLED. Why do you think they'd walk the iPhone 15 backwards at all, let alone all the way to iPhone 11?
    edited September 2022 Oferracerhomie3watto_cobrajeffharrislkruppcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 15
    After using my new 14 Pro for a couple days, I'm not really a fan of the Dynamic Island. The animations are nifty, but having the camera hole floating out in the screen area makes it SO MUCH more distracting and noticeable than the notch was. The notch was far more discreet being along the edge of the screen, but having a bit of screen above the Dynamic Island pushes it away from the edge and makes it stand out way more. It's not a huge deal, neither the notch or the DI really bother me (and I appreciate the extra screen space it affords), but the DI seems like step backwards to me.
    M68000Oferracerhomie3ravnorodomdewmegrandact73
  • Reply 6 of 15
    darkvader said:
    How unfortunate.

It's called a bezel.
    I’ve never been bothered by the notch on my phone but if there was an option to dump the selfie/Facetime camera and Face ID and just get a clean screen I would take it.
    Ofer
  • Reply 7 of 15
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    Robots78 said:
    After using my new 14 Pro for a couple days, I'm not really a fan of the Dynamic Island. The animations are nifty, but having the camera hole floating out in the screen area makes it SO MUCH more distracting and noticeable than the notch was. The notch was far more discreet being along the edge of the screen, but having a bit of screen above the Dynamic Island pushes it away from the edge and makes it stand out way more. It's not a huge deal, neither the notch or the DI really bother me (and I appreciate the extra screen space it affords), but the DI seems like step backwards to me.
    It's a tricky call. 

You're right that the animations are there to 'hide' what is an isolated, non-dynamic notch. The dynamic part has nothing to do with the camera array so it is clever marketing. 

Yes there is screen real-estate above it now but the array itself is smaller.

As everything is a trade off in one sense or another there is no perfect solution - yet. Just different takes on possible options, and with that in mind, it all boils down to user preference.

Personally, I like the physical side but I think the animations would end up tiring me.

Apple never gave users the option to 'blank out' the notch like Android phones do and with it now being an 'island' it wouldn't make too much sense anyway (the black space would take up too much space).

All in all I think a change was needed and that's what it is. 
  • Reply 8 of 15
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I have iPhone 14 Pro and I really love the Dynamic Island. I like how it shows FaceID pop out when signing into accounts that need my FaceID. It is still underutilized but likely will see more of it being used in a couple of months. 

But still, the iOS screen should have a system menu bar, always black and show icons such as battery, reception, active camera icon, alerts, etc. It would definitely look more attractive and more integrated. Like you see in MacOS with black system menu bar which makes the notch invisible. 

I am honestly baffled why Apple does not do those things. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Notch
    Smaller Notch
    dynamic island 
    smaller dynamic island
    the I think they will transition to a enlarged punch hole that will house Face ID. Then they will move to having an entire screen.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    What about MacBookPro and iPadPro  the Island would be great on those as well?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Having used the Dynamic Island for the past 3 days, my early opinion is positive. When it’s not actively doing something, I notice it about as much as I did the notch. But when it is doing something, the animations are very subtle and elegant. Like others here, I assumed it would be obnoxious and intrusive. It’s not. The extra capabilities it provides are well-thought out and convenient, and not superfluous at all. When watching video, I can see how it might be a distraction for some, but it really doesn’t bother me very much. All in all, it’s a great start. And that’s just one happy 14 Pro Max owners opinion. 
    watto_cobraravnorodomjeffharrisStrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 12 of 15
    The camera punch out would annoy me like back in the early days of LCDs where they would commonly enough have a dead pixel(s) out of the box… my brain/eye would be drawn to it as such, thinking it’s abnormal.  As others have stated, it would be nice to have a software option to essentially create a forehead bezel on the phone by turning off the pixels and touch at the top part of the phone.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    darkvader said:
    How unfortunate.

It's called a bezel.
    Since you never consider that you may be wrong about things you don’t work in, have you considered becoming a hardware engineer? Businessman? Cofounder of a computer company out of your garage? Or are you just going to carry on pretending you know best?

Me, I prefer the increased surface-to-screen ratio the embedded options provide. Don’t need a forehead on my phone. Eventually one day it will be under the screen and not matter, but until then it’s a compromise, like most things. 
    edited September 2022 cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    Nothing magical going on here, just pragmatism mixed with creative UI design. Until someone comes up with a way to share the same exact screen real estate between sensors/projectors and display pixels they'll need to trade-off some of the screen to host what used to be on the bezel.

The notch was simply Apple annexing a region of the display surface for what used to be on the bezel. The dynamic island does exactly the same thing as the notch, annexing pixels from the display surface, except it's an island rather than a peninsula. The overall effect of the dynamic island seems more intentional. Having the island serve as the home base for a number of UI interactions further increases its intentionality. 

Ideally, I'd still prefer to have the entire screen available for display purposes, just like I can on a Mac by auto-hiding the menu and dock. But until Apple figures out how to do it without loss of functionality, the dynamic island is fine. Looking forward to seeing what Apple does in this area with the iPad and MacBook.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    dewme said:
    Nothing magical going on here, just pragmatism mixed with creative UI design. Until someone comes up with a way to share the same exact screen real estate between sensors/projectors and display pixels they'll need to trade-off some of the screen to host what used to be on the bezel.

The notch was simply Apple annexing a region of the display surface for what used to be on the bezel. The dynamic island does exactly the same thing as the notch, annexing pixels from the display surface, except it's an island rather than a peninsula. The overall effect of the dynamic island seems more intentional. Having the island serve as the home base for a number of UI interactions further increases its intentionality. 

Ideally, I'd still prefer to have the entire screen available for display purposes, just like I can on a Mac by auto-hiding the menu and dock. But until Apple figures out how to do it without loss of functionality, the dynamic island is fine. Looking forward to seeing what Apple does in this area with the iPad and MacBook.
    Thing is they can let climate change consume the island over the next few releases getting smaller each time reducing the parts moving them under the screen. Say next year the IR camera for faceID can move under the screen but is more reliable with the screen it is looking through blank. Then the island could grow and show the unlock graphics to balance up the island on the other side. Till they get to the main facetime camera as a punchhole in the screen.

It gives them so much scope to play with the design for the next phase of development for the phone. 
    cornchip