YouTuber wrecks car to test iPhone 14 crash detection

Posted:
in iPhone
It had to happen. A YouTube channel has filmed a full-size but remote-controlled car repeatedly being crashed in order to see if iPhone 14 crash detection works.

Even Apple's own video about how crash detection works didn't actually damage any cars. But now the YouTube channel TechRax as done exactly that.

"Time to test out the iPhone 14 Pro's new crash detection feature," says the video's billing. "Does it actually work?"

The makers stress that the video "was filmed in a safe and controlled environment." It doesn't detail how it was done, but a regular car was outfitted with a rig that let it be driven remotely, and the YouTubers rammed it into a series of junkyard vehicles.

It works. There's a curious delay before the iPhone reacts during the first successful crash, but then it's repeatedly a race to turn off the call to emergency services in time.

Last year the iPhone 13 range was exposed to drop tests in YouTube videos. At least this time the iPhone 14 Pro used, came away entirely unscathed. The same can't be said for the car used for the crashes, so iPhone 14 Pro users should probably not try this in their own vehicles.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    I feel the 10 seconds delay is very short. Chances are I want to try to unbuckle my seatbelt or get out of the car or check other passengers first. And you wouldn’t want people just deactivating it quickly so that they can actually hear others, and then perhaps passing out. 

I’d have thought that 15-30 seconds would have been better, with negligible difference to someone unconscious.

Though no doubt Apple have researched this thoroughly, whereas I’m just armchair speculating. 
    byronllkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Essentially useless features as in modern cars (at least in the EU) it's been a legal requirement, that they call emergency services after the crash is detected. Together with the essentially useless satellite emergency call (at least outside US), this years iPhone introduction was quite useless.

lkruppwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Essentially useless features as in modern cars (at least in the EU) it's been a legal requirement, that they call emergency services after the crash is detected. Together with the essentially useless satellite emergency call (at least outside US), this years iPhone introduction was quite useless.

It’s a legal requirement for new cars since 2018. There are a lot more cars from before 2018, so not so unuseful after all. 
    mwhitemike1lkruppStrangeDayschiawilliamlondonlolliverwatto_cobraroundaboutnow
  • Reply 4 of 25

That is an EU and not a US requirement then.  In last two years have purchased several recent model year vehicles and none have this capability without excessive additional monthly fees - for instance OnStar starts at $25/month. So at least here in US this feature seems useful.
    racerhomie3mwhitemike1lkruppStrangeDaysdewmewilliamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    dchender said:

That is an EU and not a US requirement then.  In last two years have purchased several recent model year vehicles and none have this capability without excessive additional monthly fees - for instance OnStar starts at $25/month. So at least here in US this feature seems useful.
    Exactly. Unfortunately unlike other parts of the world when it comes to implementing safety laws that use technology the US is lagging behind.
    mwhitelkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25

It might be a surprise to you but not everyone lives in the EU, not everyone has a late model car. Same goes for the "useless" satellite calling feature, some people do in fact go outside of the little bubble of civilization. There are indeed a surprising number of people who regularly go where there is no cell service. 
    Privileged much?
    mike1h4y3ssphericStrangeDayschiadewmelolliverwatto_cobraroundaboutnowbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 7 of 25
    I can't believe that idiot did that in with that amateur hour setup, and that it was even allowed on that property.  I was just "uhhh..." as I sat watching that car go off on its own headed toward the electrical transmission lines. 

Also, why does every YouTuber start out with "WHAT IS UP, GUYS?!" 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    HiramAbif said:
    I can't believe that idiot did that in with that amateur hour setup, and that it was even allowed on that property.  I was just "uhhh..." as I sat watching that car go off on its own headed toward the electrical transmission lines. 

Also, why does every YouTuber start out with "WHAT IS UP, GUYS?!” 
    If there’s money to be made, well... ever watch those Jackass videos?
    dewmewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member

What a bizarrely vapid comment. „On one continent, all cars that are newer that four years do this automatically, so this is useless. Also, the satellite SOS service which has been launched in the United States is useless.“ 

Because, apparently, nobody lives in the US, nobody in Europe drives a car older than 2018, and indeed nobody outside of Europe gets in crashes, and the satellite SOS will never be offered outside of the USA. 

What on Earth possessed you to post that? 
    edited September 2022 muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayschiadewmeDAalsethlolliverroundaboutnowwatto_cobraclemynxbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Why do people posting things on the internet always want to pretend that Apple doesn't stress test their products? Guaranteed that Apple did crash testing that is significantly more sophisticated than anything a YouTuber could jury rig. 
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    petripetri Posts: 118member

I’m in the UK, which was still part of the EU in 2018, and I’ve never even heard of this.  It’s certainly not in anybody’s car that I know, perhaps I move in the wrong circles but I’d still rather my friends and family driving older cars might have a chance of being saved by this than not.
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobracoolfactor
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Why do people posting things on the internet always want to pretend that Apple doesn't stress test their products? Guaranteed that Apple did crash testing that is significantly more sophisticated than anything a YouTuber could jury rig. 
    Because they often find shady stuff when they do so? 

Like how easily the iPad bends because Apple didn't design any structural support into the frame? Or that the iPhone 14's rear glass is easily replaced if it breaks but the 14 Pro you may as well just replace the phone if you want to fix it? Or how Apple is still locking the serial numbers of individual components in software so that users can't easily replace them if they break (even with known working parts from another iPhone) despite posturing on how they are letting people self repair?

There's tremendous value in testing the claims of manufacturers rather than just taking them at their word.
    edited September 2022 muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 13 of 25

Even in the EU this is a great feature. Most of the cars on the road will not have this recent feature, now anyone with a recent iPhone or Apple Watch will get it.
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobracoolfactor
  • Reply 14 of 25
    alpacatje said:

It’s a legal requirement for new cars since 2018. There are a lot more cars from before 2018, so not so unuseful after all. 
    It is for old car users... but then owner of old car needs to think what's most cost efficient: to buy new car or new iPhone that costs half of price of his/her car value ;)
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 25

Even in the EU this is a great feature. Most of the cars on the road will not have this recent feature, now anyone with a recent iPhone or Apple Watch will get it.
    Makes sense since car pricing for new cars in EU is outrageous for tiny four wheelers. Keeping old car and buying new iPhone may be way to go ;)
    williamlondondocno42
  • Reply 16 of 25
    petri said:

I’m in the UK, which was still part of the EU in 2018, and I’ve never even heard of this.  It’s certainly not in anybody’s car that I know, perhaps I move in the wrong circles but I’d still rather my friends and family driving older cars might have a chance of being saved by this than not.
    EU government tens to introduce bills quietly and overnight. You find out only later what they imposed. Good move to leave EU. Perhaos few others should consider that move before it is too late nad it ends in hands of similar individuals like in USSR.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 25
    starof80 said:
    dchender said:

Exactly. Unfortunately unlike other parts of the world when it comes to implementing safety laws that use technology the US is lagging behind.
    If you need more laws and regulations you can always move to other places. Nothing is free. Live in California. They have interesting approach to laws and taxes and we know outcomes.

Safety is not enforced by law. It is best served as consumer requirement and market competition. If you create laws then you create liability on technology that may not be reliable because of elements of environment that are not dependent on manufacturer or consumer. Can you still imagine that notifying emergency services may not work because transponder was damaged as result of accident? Think about it. It is good feature, but it should never be mandated the same as tracking speed of vehicle (I was personally in incident that I was saved when I accelerated suddenly above speed limit to avoid deadly crash and braking would guarantee that I would have been victim).
    williamlondondocno42
  • Reply 18 of 25
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Together with the essentially useless satellite emergency call (at least outside US), this years iPhone introduction was quite useless.

Like all insurance, it's useless... until it isn't  :#
    lolliverDAalsethwatto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 19 of 25
    illrigger said:
    Because they often find shady stuff when they do so? 

Like how easily the iPad bends because Apple didn't design any structural support into the frame? Or that the iPhone 14's rear glass is easily replaced if it breaks but the 14 Pro you may as well just replace the phone if you want to fix it? Or how Apple is still locking the serial numbers of individual components in software so that users can't easily replace them if they break (even with known working parts from another iPhone) despite posturing on how they are letting people self repair?

There's tremendous value in testing the claims of manufacturers rather than just taking them at their word.
    You want to know what's "shady"? The guy that did the original iPad bend video that got so much attention was comparing an intentional four point bend with his hands (downward pressure at both ends of the front, upward pressure at both ends of the bottom) with damage that could occur by putting the iPad in a backpack or accidentally sitting on the iPad on a couch or bed. See the problem? It's not actually possible for the backpack or sitting scenario to generate four points of pressure. That's why he didn't do something as simple as just put the iPad on the couch and then sit on it for the video. 

As an added bonus, ask yourself why he went to the trouble of using a utility knife to score the entire back of the iPad with the Spiderman head...
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    If it were me I think I would have edited out the part where I almost took out the power grid
    watto_cobracoolfactor