Microsoft's next event is around when the Mac & iPad event is expected

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2022
Microsoft announced October 12 for its Surface tablet debut, and it is in the middle of the date range expected for an Apple event featuring the Mac and iPad.

Surface Pro 8 had a new Surface Slim Pen
Surface Pro 8 had a new Surface Slim Pen

The October 12 event is Microsoft's first in-person event since the pandemic started, and it will be streamed as well. Starting 10:00 ET on October 12, rumors point to a Surface Pro 9 and Surface Laptop 5.

Both devices are expected to include 12th-generation Intel chips, an upgrade from the 11th-generation chips inside the Surface Pro 9 and Surface Laptop 4 from 2021. These chips could be an Intel Core i5-1235U and Core i7-1255U.

The products may also have a storage option of one terabyte at its maximum, and up to 16GB of RAM may be available. The Surface Pro 9 could have an Arm-based variant, based on Qualcomm's Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 platform, according to a report from September 20.

The Surface Pro 9 could be available in new colors, including green ("Forest") and light blue ("Sapphire"). Pricing for the Surface Pro 9 is said to start at $1,288, with a rumored price of $1,189 for the Surface Laptop 5. Current Surface devices are up to $400 off ahead of the event.

Apple event in October 2022

Apple is also expected to have an October event, for the release of macOS Ventura, iPadOS 16, and new hardware.

The company certainly isn't done with 2022, and there are a few products that may appear. Apple's iPad and iPad Pro lines are expected to see refreshes, as is some of the Mac line.

The Mac Studio most certainly won't get an upgrade at the event, but the MacBook Pro is expected to see some form of M2 processor in the next few months. The Mac mini and iMac larger than 24-inches have been wanting attention too.

In previous years, Apple has chosen the following dates for October events:

• Monday, October 18, 2021

• Tuesday, October 13, 2020

• Tuesday, October 30, 2018

• Thursday, October 27, 2016

• Thursday, October 16, 2014

• Tuesday, October 22, 2013

• Tuesday, October 23, 2012

• Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    October 23, 2001 is when the world changed. iPod was introduced. I remember because that's my birthday. :smile: 

I wish Apple would get back to surprising us with new products, not just iterations.
    pulseimageslkruppnetroxfred1oldenboomwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    October 23, 2001 is when the world changed. iPod was introduced. I remember because that's my birthday. :smile: 

I wish Apple would get back to surprising us with new products, not just iterations.
    And October 12 is mine! Hopefully Apple uses that date instead of Microsoft  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    I'm thinking that a Mac Pro announcement is coming. While I'm not currently in the market for a high-end workstation, I'm excited to see what kind of performance is possible with Apple Silicon.
    watto_cobraJinTech
  • Reply 4 of 27
    They still make the Surface Tablet? 
    watto_cobraJinTechFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 27
    They still make the Surface Tablet? 
    A what?
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Surface tablet debut... wait.. WHAAAAT?!?

I thought all-on-ones tablet/computers were the answer to every problem that never existed.

You mean... *gasp* that APPLE has been right all along with the MAC/iPad strategy? 

This simply cannot e. It MUST not be! 

Apple is doomed I say!  DOOMED!

We need a congressional investigation, the FBI, and we need to act fast. Surely something is amiss?
    edited September 2022 racerhomie3watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Like what?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    auxio said:
    I'm thinking that a Mac Pro announcement is coming. While I'm not currently in the market for a high-end workstation, I'm excited to see what kind of performance is possible with Apple Silicon.
    I hope. The wait for a proper iMac. is getting annoying and the Mac Pro may just satiate that desire. Didn't want to spend that much coin, but I'm in need of a high. end workstation.  The Studio is OK, but it just screams "wait for the Mac Pro" to me - especially with the crazy price tag. Would rather have a high end iMac, but my Macbook Pro is starting to really show its age, so I cannot wait much longer. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    auxio said:
    This is the only Apple product I am really interested in seeing.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Now that Tom Brady has been given Wednesdays off from practicing with his team, perhaps he will be attending the next Microsoft Surface "launch" event on October 12th. He can probably provide Microsoft with some useful feedback on things like the hand feel and balance of the new models, not to mention crash detection, expected average flight time, screen robustness, grass stain resistance, etc.
    Ofernetroxwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 27
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    dewme said:
    Now that Tom Brady has been given Wednesdays off from practicing with his team, perhaps he will be attending the next Microsoft Surface "launch" event on October 12th. He can probably provide Microsoft with some useful feedback on things like the hand feel and balance of the new models, not to mention crash detection, expected average flight time, screen robustness, grass stain resistance, etc.
    Hilarious! 😂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    dewme said:
    Heck, if they get all of that right, he might even petition the NFL to use Surfaces rather than footballs. Though the kickers may want some input too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    auxio said:
    dewme said:
    Heck, if they get all of that right, he might even petition the NFL to use Surfaces rather than footballs.
    But Brady will drain the Surfaces of their power before using them in the game. That way the weigh less and throw further. Dechargegate. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    They need to release more so Brady can have more to throw to the ground 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Microsoft and Google both have events in early October. They must be like punishment choosing to have an event so close to a likely Apple event.

Especially Microsoft with a Surface ARM device that you know will get destroyed by any M powered MacBook.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    oldenboomoldenboom Posts: 30unconfirmed, member

I have stopped watching the Keynotes some years ago. Sometimes I skim through the Keynote quickly. It seems just iterations, it seems nothing really spectacular. Yes, the M1 was spectacular but it just confirmed what was already leaked. Those "One more thing" topics are still legendary. Just watching them again brings  back memories:  I don't recall any of the recent Keynotes but I do recall quite some of those One More Things topics.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    as opposed to just adding more cameras to the phones?
    the last like 4 updates were oh guess what, we have 2 cameras, 3 cameras, more megapixels! (lie) etc

actually the surface laptop is a great machine, been using one for about 2 years for work, zero issues, great battery, great screen, great speakers
    just wish it had more regular USB ports, not sure why those are dying when 95% of accessories still use them
    only thing i don't like about the surface is that damn proprietary charging cable, but i realized on most of the new ones, you can also charge with a USB-C charger

williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 27
    oldenboom said:
    I have stopped watching the Keynotes some years ago. Sometimes I skim through the Keynote quickly. It seems just iterations, it seems nothing really spectacular. Yes, the M1 was spectacular but it just confirmed what was already leaked. Those "One more thing" topics are still legendary. Just watching them again brings  back memories. I don't recall any of the recent Keynotes but I do recall quite some of those One More Things topics.
    Like you, I skim through Keynotes to hit the highlights. Jobs was an outstanding presenter simply because he was comfortable doing it. He didn’t appear forced. He didn’t stand with his feet wide apart like everyone in Apple events does now (who on earth came up with that idea?). He just talked conversationally about the products that he loved making. He was genuinely excited about them. Not that the current team aren’t.  If anything, they’re too excited, too happy, about them. I miss the good ‘ol days. 
    watto_cobra9secondkox2dewme
  • Reply 19 of 27
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,862member

Apple iterations are just fine some big tech companies have failed because they could not, Motorola, Palm, Nokia, Sun, SGI, Xerox, Digital etc…
    watto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 20 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member

By the way, are you saying Apple silicon is not a new product?  :|
    9secondkox2