Yale Assure Lock 2 works with HomeKit to secure homes

Posted:
in General Discussion
Yale Assure Lock 2 is an update to Yale Home's smartlock series that works out of the box with Apple's HomeKit ecosystem.

Yale Assure Lock 2
Yale Assure Lock 2

The Assure Lock 2 is up to 30% smaller than previous models, with a modern look with sharp angles, domed surfaces, and fingerprint-resistant matte keypads. It's easy to install and supports more doors of different thicknesses and borehole sizes to replace deadbolts.

Z-Wave Smart Modules will be available later this year to work with Ring Alarm and Samsung SmartThings customers and a Matter Smart Module for devices supporting that protocol.

Wi-Fi Smart Modules are also available in the box with the locks or sold separately and no longer require a Wi-Fi Connect Bridge.

Users can lock and unlock using the keypad and give unlimited unique entry codes to visitors. The Yale Access app on a smartphone or Apple Watch can also control the lock.

Another method, Auto-Unlock, uses Bluetooth to unlock the door when a user is in close range. Auto-Lock with DoorSense can detect if the door is open or closed and will lock once it is closed.

Pricing & Availability

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth lock options are available in four models: keyed and key-free touchscreen and keyed and key-free keypad.

The Assure Lock 2 is available on Yale's website and from Amazon. Pricing ranges from $159.99 to $259.99, depending on the chosen model. All locks are available in black suede, oil-rubbed bronze, and satin nickel.

Standalone Wi-Fi Smart Modules are available for $79.99, and Matter Smart Modules will be available soon for $79.99. Wi-Fi and Matter Smart Modules will also work with Yale's original Assure locks.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    So does it support Home Key or not?
    cg27watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I wonder if the Matter smart model is thread? For wireless networking, Matter only uses thread or wifi, Bluetooth is used only to commission the device and not used otherwise. With that in mind why have a different module for Matter unless it uses thread?
    cg27Scot1watto_cobradewme
  • Reply 3 of 10
    There’s no mention of HomeKey compatibility on their website, so it looks like HomeKit and Apple Watch support just means Siri and unlocking with the Yale app on the Apple Watch. That’s disappointing, as I don’t see a reason to buy a new smart lock without being able to unlock it natively with the watch and phone. Sure it only takes a couple seconds, but not unlocking the watch or phone with HomeKey is just way easier. 
    cg27jedwards87StrangeDaysScot1radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I will not use WiFi module in smart devices (except for videos which requires wifi for bandwidth). It's consuming too much power for a simple command. Best to wait for Thread-enabled locks which is a hundred times more efficient with power and will be future proof. 
    Scot1cg27radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    snarbin said:
    There’s no mention of HomeKey compatibility on their website, so it looks like HomeKit and Apple Watch support just means Siri and unlocking with the Yale app on the Apple Watch. That’s disappointing, as I don’t see a reason to buy a new smart lock without being able to unlock it natively with the watch and phone. Sure it only takes a couple seconds, but not unlocking the watch or phone with HomeKey is just way easier. 
    Thats disappointing. Been wanting an Schlage Encore Plus but they are nowhere to be found unless you want to pay a ridiculous price on Amazon or eBay. Was hoping this would have been a competing product. Oh well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    snarbin said:
    Watching their website video, the lady says you can unlock without taking out your phone, so just gets near it with her purse. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    snarbin said:
    Watching their website video, the lady says you can unlock without taking out your phone, so just gets near it with her purse. 
    The previous version does this too when used with the August Connect module. It unlocks using Bluetooth when you arrive home.  HomeKey is a big deal (re: Schlage Encode +)  and if there is not a single mention of it on the website, it’s not supported. 

I got the email a few days ago saying that this lock was coming up but no HomeKey means no purchase for me. I was sure their follow up version would have it. ASSA AMBLOY was one of the companies on the list of smart locks that would offer it and I’ll admit I’m shocked it doesn’t. I love my previous Yale Assure lock with August Connect and tired of waiting for the Schlage but I just can’t go forward with this one. Shame since it’s looks really good too. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Schlage has had a smart lock for at least 5 years that does all this and more. So, what is new about this lock???
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Schlage has had a smart lock for at least 5 years that does all this and more. So, what is new about this lock???
    Yale themselves has also had a lock that does all this for at least 5 years lol.  From the looks of it, just a physical redesign and future Matter support?  Very disappointing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    snarbin said:
    Thats disappointing. Been wanting an Schlage Encore Plus but they are nowhere to be found unless you want to pay a ridiculous price on Amazon or eBay. Was hoping this would have been a competing product. Oh well.
    After trying to check sites for months on end....I used Home Depots native stock alert feature on their website and had one within 2 weeks.
    edited September 2022