'Breaking Bad' creator signs series deal with Apple TV+

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Vince Gilligan, known for creating "Breaking Bad" and co-authoring "Better Call Saul," has inked a two-season, straight-to-series order with Apple TV+.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The yet-untitled project will also star "Better Call Saul" star Rhea Seehorn as the lead. The project marks the second collaboration between Gilligan and Seehorn.

Deadline points out that the pitch was highly anticipated, with at least 8 networks lined up to hear and read the script. It is suspected that each episode could cost upwards of $15 million.

In the end, Apple TV+ landed the series, which may have been due to Gilligan's relationship with Apple executives Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht. Both executives had spearheaded Gilligan's previous projects while working at Sony Pictures.

"And what nice symmetry to be reunited with Zack Van Amburg, Jamie Erlicht and Chris Parnell! Jamie and Zack were the first two people to say yes to Breaking Bad all those years ago," Gilligan told Deadline.

"They've built a great team at Apple, and my wonderful, long-time partners at Sony Pictures Television and I are excited to be in business with them."

The series will join other Apple TV+ hits such as sports comedy"Ted Lasso," workplace psychological thriller "Severance," and alternative-reality space drama "For All Mankind."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I find it amusing that the name Gilligan means something so different now.
    Back when I was a kid nobody would have trusted Gilligan with anything, let alone $millions. He couldn’t even get them off of the island.
    LOL
    watto_cobraMBearsconosciuto
  • Reply 2 of 4
    As an Apple TV+ subscriber and a huge "Breaking Bad" and "Better Call Saul" fan, this is great news. I know that Gilligan has already said he's taking a break from the "Breaking Bad" universe, but any series that he creates is likely to be on my watch list — even more so if it's starring Rhea Seehorn.

This is a great win for Apple TV+.
    pumpkin_kingStrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobrasconosciuto
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Part of the team that produced two of the best tv series ever, whatever he creates is worth watching.
    sconosciutogeekmee
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Part of the team that produced two of the best tv series ever, whatever he creates is worth watching.
    BAM!
    williamlondon