'Made by Google' joins fall tech event fray on October 6

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google has announced the date for its Pixel-centric "Made by Google" event, joining Microsoft and presumably also Apple with fall product releases.

Google Pixel Buds, Pixel Watch, and Pixel phone
Google Pixel Buds, Pixel Watch, and Pixel phone

The live event will be held on October 6 at 10:00 AM ET, and Google is expected to announce its latest Pixel devices. The lineup is most likely the Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, and the Google Pixel Watch.

The company also plans to announce additions to the Nest smart home product line. The event will take place in the Williamsburg neighborhood of NYC, as well as an online event on Google's website.

Google gave a sneak peek of the Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, and the Google Pixel Watch at Google I/O in May 2022. The Pixel 7 phones will run Android 13 and feature the next generation of Google's Tensor chip.

Tensor is the company's custom chip that powers computational features for photos, videos, speech recognition, and security.

The Google Pixel Watch is the company's first watch designed and built itself. Google acquired the fitness company Fitbit in 2021, and users can expect to see wellness and health features in the operating system.

A rumor suggests that the prices for the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro will remain the same as the Pixel 6 lineup from 2021. The Pixel 7 will cost $599, while the Pixel 7 Pro starts at $899.

Microsoft & Apple in October

Microsoft announced its event for October 12 starting at 10:00 AM ET. Rumors point to Surface Pro 9 and Surface Laptop 5 announcements.

Both devices are expected to include 12th-generation Intel chips, an upgrade from the 11th-generation chips inside the Surface Pro 9 and Surface Laptop 4 from 2021. These chips could be an Intel Core i5-1235U and Core i7-1255U.

Apple is also expected to have an October event for the release of macOS Ventura, iPadOS 16, and new hardware. The iPad and iPad Pro lines are expected to see refreshes, as is some of the Mac line.

A 14- or 16-inch MacBook Pro with an M2 chip could see an announcement, and also the M1 possibly the Mac mini could see an update nearly two years after launch.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    All the google and Microsoft ‘apple wannabe’ products seem like such hollow efforts, but maybe especially google. I wouldn’t be surprised if it all goes the way of Zune.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    blastdoor said:
    All the google and Microsoft ‘apple wannabe’ products seem like such hollow efforts, but maybe especially google. I wouldn’t be surprised if it all goes the way of Zune.
    I don’t know. There will always be a market for those who prefer cheaper products instead of quality and features.
    lkruppwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    fred1 said:
    blastdoor said:
    I don’t know. There will always be a market for those who prefer cheaper products instead of quality and features.
    Have you visited the Google store?
    https://store.google.com/us/category/connected_home?hl=en-US

Just like there's no Google equivalent for some of Apple's first-party products there are first-party devices Google can offer but Apple doesn't: 
     - Smarthome products like smoke and CO2 alarms
     - Networking devices such as routers and mesh systems
     - Security products from cameras to doorbells
     - Countertop displays for home control and media streaming. 

Those are hardly me-too copycat products. 
    grandact73
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gatorguy said:
    fred1 said:
    blastdoor said:

Just like there's no Google equivalent for some of Apple's first-party products there are first-party devices Google can offer but Apple doesn't: 

I was only referring to the copycat products. I didn’t say everything offered by Google and Microsoft was a copycat product — that’s trivially obviously not the case 
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 8
    fred1 said:
    blastdoor said:
    Yeah but that’s what the android and windows OEMs are for. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    blastdoor said:
    gatorguy said:
    fred1 said:
    blastdoor said:

I was only referring to the copycat products. I didn’t say everything offered by Google and Microsoft was a copycat product — that’s trivially obviously not the case 

All hardware pumped into the market directly by Microsoft and Google is just me too, and are primarily designed to distract Wall Street by setting up a sense of false equivalence when compared to Apple. (physical stores here and there and little hardware trinkets) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    As for the Apple October Event, I wonder if we’re going to see a preview of the M2 Mac Pro this year. And the Mac Studio isn’t getting too much love either. Something is amiss in the “Pro” department.
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I don’t see the Pixels as « me-too » products at all. Google puts out some good phones, which are competitive on the hardware front and built to make the OS shine. They’re also (some, including me, would say ironically) more secure than any of the standard Android phones.

If I were to ever leave iOS, I’d buy a Pixel and put Graphene on it — there’s no way I’d give Google access to me and my digital life. But I like the hardware.

I see the argument for the buds and watch as copy-cat products, but I also see the logic of creating a set of products that work seamlessly together.
    FileMakerFeller