New Mac mini, iPad Pro models with M2 may not get an event

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Apple is expected to be bringing out new Mac and iPad models in October, but it has been proposed that Apple may not have enough new to warrant producing a full event, and instead could launch updates via press releases instead.

Apple has typically held two events in the fall for its products, with a September event usually followed by an October version. While there has been some variation, such as a rare November event, it is offered that Apple may not hold a second event in October.

In his "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman muses that Apple "may not have enough fare left in 2022 for another big event." According to the journalist, there may be only six significant Mac and iPad launches on the horizon, consisting of M2 and M2 Pro Mac minis, M2 Pro and M2 Max-equipped 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro upgrades, and the M2-equipped 11-inch iPad Pro and 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

Outside chances for launch in 2022 include an update to the Apple TV with an A14 chip, as well as a revamped M2-based Mac Pro. However, the former is relatively minor, and the latter is more likely to be a 2023 launch.

Gurman reasons that "none of these new products is a major departure for Apple. They'll get some improved specifications and a chip that was already announced at a formal event in June at WWDC 2022." The brief list of largely internal upgrades prompted Gurman to ask if Apple really has "enough here to make it worth pulling together another highly polished Apple event."

In answering his own question, Gurman doubts there is enough, and thinks Apple is "more likely to release its remaining 2022 products via press releases, updates to its website and briefings with select members of the press - rather than a major iPhone-style keynote."

Regardless of whether Apple goes for the event or elects to issue press releases, AppleInsider will be covering the launches of whatever products Apple introduces in the fall.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    I just hope they replace the base ipad with one without the button. It's looks pretty dated now. Want to buy one but don't want to spend on the expensive models,
    williamlondonwatto_cobramac daddy zeebshank
  • Reply 2 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    dk49 said:
    I just hope they replace the base ipad with one without the button. It's looks pretty dated now. Want to buy one but don't want to spend on the expensive models,
    Is it just the appearance you don’t like? As for money, why not pick up a 4th gen iPad Air?  You can pick up one for less than $500.  It’s far superior to the base iPad and is a great product.  Granted, that’s $120 more than the base model, but anyone whose budget is that tight doesn’t need to buy one in the first place…usually.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingammac daddy zeeStrangeDaysbshank
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Since Apple has already added Passkey support to iOS, I sure hope they also add it to macOS soon and add Touch ID or Face ID to the entire Mac lineup. Why should Mac security fall behind iOS?
    watto_cobramac daddy zee
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Well considering Apple seem to be living on selling yearly refreshes or not refreshing anything (like the iMac or Mac mini) I don't see why they would bother. I mean they left us hanging about the M* Mac Pro but gave us a Fat Mac mini with a non modular box instead and a crappy monitor with a naff webcam also not to forget a no frills M2 MacBook Air. Their R&D and product lines are going quite slow now. That MBP 13 which is hanging around like an old dead fart causes me to wonder wtf is going on? They need to seriously narrow that MacBook line up down and focus more on how jobs reinvented apple all them years ago - making a little leighway on quantity of product lines but not as big and stupid as it's become with Mac lines. It seems like quantity of quality of products that are in the line up.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 16
    jamess109 said:
    Well considering Apple seem to be living on selling yearly refreshes or not refreshing anything (like the iMac or Mac mini) I don't see why they would bother. I mean they left us hanging about the M* Mac Pro but gave us a Fat Mac mini with a non modular box instead and a crappy monitor with a naff webcam also not to forget a no frills M2 MacBook Air. Their R&D and product lines are going quite slow now. That MBP 13 which is hanging around like an old dead fart causes me to wonder wtf is going on? They need to seriously narrow that MacBook line up down and focus more on how jobs reinvented apple all them years ago - making a little leighway on quantity of product lines but not as big and stupid as it's become with Mac lines. It seems like quantity of quality of products that are in the line up.
    Your goldmine of gross grammar was more gratifying than your grudgery.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobradewmemattinozmac daddy zeeqwerty52JanNLAKAppleStrangeDaysbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 16
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    sdw2001 said:
    dk49 said:
    Is it just the appearance you don’t like? As for money, why not pick up a 4th gen iPad Air?  You can pick up one for less than $500.  It’s far superior to the base iPad and is a great product.  Granted, that’s $120 more than the base model, but anyone whose budget is that tight doesn’t need to buy one in the first place…usually.  
    More than the appearance, I don't like pressing a button to go to home screen anymore. Swiping is way more convenient. And honestly, saying that people with tight budget don't require an ipad is just because ignorant and borderline rude. For me, I don't need the extra power of the ipad air. The baseline is good enough. Though yes I like the button-less  design of the air better. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jamess109 said:
    Ahhh yes...I love a good armchair CEO who thinks they can run Apple better than Apple can. I mean Apple is really struggling and could use your advice.  ;)
    Alex1Nwatto_cobradewmemac daddy zeeqwerty52AKAppleStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    The Mx Mac Pro does not deserve an event?
    Alex1Nwatto_cobramac daddy zeeqwerty52
  • Reply 9 of 16
    dk49 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    dk49 said:
    More than the appearance, I don't like pressing a button to go to home screen anymore. Swiping is way more convenient. And honestly, saying that people with tight budget don't require an ipad is just because ignorant and borderline rude. For me, I don't need the extra power of the ipad air. The baseline is good enough. Though yes I like the button-less  design of the air better. 
    I must be getting old, because I find the home button on my similarly ageing ipad much more convenient to get to the home screen than the swiping that more often than not doesn’t work first, second or even third time on my iPhone pro max 12. Swiping in my case wastes far too much time and gets really aggravating.

Speaking of ‘gestures’, there’s so many of the little blighters on both the ipad an iphone now that they’re driving me up the wall - and often leading to unintended and even occasionally disastrous consequences where data loss is concerned.

Having said that, I understand that the removal of the home button effectively increases screen real estate. When the battery on this 6th gen ipad croaks (not too far away, I suspect)!, I’ll be looking at the range very carefully - unless Apple does away with the ipad home button in the meantime, of course…
    edited September 2022 watto_cobradewme
  • Reply 10 of 16
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    Poop something out a larger screen iMac or a Mac Pro with a release date and a buy button on the web site. That’s all I need.
    edited September 2022 AKApple
  • Reply 11 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    The base iPad is a great value, button and all. I’d be totally okay keeping the TouchId home button if they up the base storage to 128 GB and move to USB-C. 

Moving the TouchId to the power button is not really as big of an improvement as you’d think. It’s fine when you’re using the iPad in portrait orientation, but once you flip it over to landscape orientation it’s actually not so great, at least based on my usage. The home button with TouchId in landscape orientation is exactly where my thumb wants it to be. 
  • Reply 12 of 16
    dewme said:
    The base iPad is a great value, button and all. I’d be totally okay keeping the TouchId home button if they up the base storage to 128 GB and move to USB-C. 

Moving the TouchId to the power button is not really as big of an improvement as you’d think. It’s fine when you’re using the iPad in portrait orientation, but once you flip it over to landscape orientation it’s actually not so great, at least based on my usage. The home button with TouchId in landscape orientation is exactly where my thumb wants it to be. 
    True. And anything new, non-USB-C at this point is a “screw the environment!” declaration on Apple’s side. 
    At one hand they say they care about the environment, yet they let cable waste exist for years on end now, let alone the poor repairability / serviceability of their hardware. I hope their future innovation will be around true sustainability.
    mac daddy zee
  • Reply 13 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

True. And anything new, non-USB-C at this point is a “screw the environment!” declaration on Apple’s side. 
    That makes no sense. Please explain.

StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 16
    entropys said:
    The Mx Mac Pro does not deserve an event?
    For such a low volume device, maybe not. 

But, it might warrant a press release + video + interview with John Gruber in front of a small hand picked audience (or some other very targeted media interaction that is smaller than an iPhone event) 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jamess109 said:
    Yeah nah, the Studio Display is anything but crappy. 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    dewme said:

At one hand they say they care about the environment, yet they let cable waste exist for years on end now, let alone the poor repairability / serviceability of their hardware. I hope their future innovation will be around true sustainability.
    Entirely wrong, of course. Apple's devices have a much longer useful lifespan than most of the techno-junk that becomes landfill rather quick. Then Apple's devices are even more recyclable than ever (and more than most plastic junk), and they will take them back at any store or mail you a box. They're making more progress towards a closed loop goal for materials. There is no difference in cables whether I'm using USB-C on one end or both ends, it's still a cable. Unless you're advocating for no cables in the box whatsoever? Sure, I'd be down for that that, too, but supplying a cable isn't unique to Apple.