iPhone 15 Ultra rumored to have two front cameras and USB-C

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2022
While it's not clear why, the iPhone 15 Ultra is said to use two cameras at the front instead of one, in extremely early claims about the 2023 device.

On Sunday, the first murmurs of a new iPhone model were uttered, with the iPhone 14 Pro Max to be followed up in a year's time by the iPhone 15 Ultra. Borrowing the suffix from the Apple Watch Ultra and the M1 Ultra, the new model should theoretically provide a more premium experience than even the iPhone 14 Pro.

However, Sunday's claim was accompanied by very few details about the hardware, such as the use of USB-C and a revamped design. On Monday, leaker MajinBu offered a bit more potential details.

According to what is reported by my source iPhone 15 Ultra will have 2 front cameras, USB-C and will start from 256GB. iPhone 15 Pro instead will always start from 128GB and will have USB-C but only 1 front camera #iphone #iphone15 #iphone15ultra pic.twitter.com/lIn6OhMNko

-- Majin Bu (@MajinBuOfficial)

According to MajinBu's source, the iPhone 15 Ultra will have two cameras on the front. The existing TrueDepth camera array has multiple components but only one camera sensor, so the supposed Ultra upgrade will provide an extra sensor.

The reason for the second camera wasn't given. In theory, it could be for stereoscopic video capture, or more simply, different optical zoom levels. The leaker also claims the Ultra will use USB-C, and will start with a 256GB storage capacity.

The iPhone 15 Pro will just use one front camera, as usual, and start with a capacity of 128GB. It too will apparently gain USB-C.

While Apple's design and manufacturing efforts for its flagship devices can stretch beyond a year, such rumors are usually more speculation than a reality at this extremely early stage. As the year rolls on, more informed leaks should appear, indicating whether or not MajinBu's year-early claim is accurate.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    A wide angle lens on the front camera would certainly make group selfies a little easier.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 15

It’s not hard to believe this rumor, given that iPhones already have two front cameras (infrared and regular) and USB-C will be required by law in Europe by next year. 
  • Reply 3 of 15
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member

It’s not hard to believe this rumor, given that iPhones already have two front cameras (infrared and regular) and USB-C will be required by law in Europe by next year. 
    That’s what I was going to point out. iPhones HAVE two cameras in the front. I suspect this rumour is confusing the IR camera for FaceTime with a separate second camera for photography.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 15
    And a price too high than most pro max owners are able to afford no doubt putting us into the lesser  iPhone 15 Pro. 
    williamlondontwokatmew
  • Reply 5 of 15
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    It never ends, does it. How many of these predictions are holdovers from the iPhone 14 that didn't bear out?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    The Google Pixel 3 had two front facing cameras, one of them an ultra-wide. It was the single best front facing camera setup I've ever used, making those group/scenery selfies quite easy. I would love to have a similar arrangement in an iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    DAalseth said:

That’s what I was going to point out. iPhones HAVE two cameras in the front. I suspect this rumour is confusing the IR camera for FaceTime with a separate second camera for photography.
    The IR camera isn't really IR its a normal camera without the IR filter so it will see the light of the dot projector. If they could use ML image processor or better cameras to allow IR filtering in software they could make both cameras broad spectrum or maybe even reduce to one for the lower end models. 

If they had a wide and near on upper end models they would not only have centre stage but could unlock the phone while it is on the desk and out wide like past the edge the edge of the keyboard. Would be good addition to always on displays. 
    llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Let me make sure I have this straight: the "predictions" here are that next year's iPhone will gain a second camera which it already has AND that Apple will decide, amazingly, that it still wants to sell iPhones to Europe, so will comply with new law mandating USB-C. Wow... that's prescient. Maybe this leaker can predict whether next year's phone will be called iPhone 15?
    watto_cobrabala1234
  • Reply 9 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    If ever there was an AI story that needed the phrase “Sketchy rumour suggests” at the beginning of its headline, it is this one. The entire concept of an “iPhone Ultra” is almost certainly completely ballyhoo.

Even the dumbest Apple user has worked out that the “Ultra” in “Apple Watch Ultra” means a hardened design intended for extreme environments and the people who are routinely found in such environments. So no — there isn’t going to be an “iPhone Ultra.” And even if I’m wrong about this, nobody here is going to want to pay approximately double the cost for an iPhone Pro to get a titanium-hardened, depth-resistant, gloves-friendly-button version of the iPhone. Maijin Bu’s “source” is smoking the crack.

Given the rousing success of Dynamic Island, could Apple wedge a wide-angle camera into the large iPhone models? Sure they could! Maybe they will! Hurrah if they do, though I have to point out to the memory-challenged that the present iPhone appears to be able to do group selfies with the front camera’s autofocus feature just fine — given that exactly that sort of image is prominently featured in their advertising. Oh but wait, I want a selfie with the entire football team!! :lol: 

As for the next iPhones having USB-C … as Charlesn pointed out, this is not exactly shocking. If Apple wants to sell iPhones in Europe, it will have to offer USB-C. I think it is fairly obvious that they will do that. The only real question is whether Apple will offer a USB-C to (female) Lightning cord in the box for the first year to help with the transition (which I doubt they will, but I’d be happy to be surprised about that).
    llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    TJJTJJ Posts: 14member
    The USB-C, I can believe.  I think a Fish-Eye option would be cool in the camera. How they would implement that, I’m not sure.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    chasm said:
    The only real question is whether Apple will offer a USB-C to (female) Lightning cord in the box for the first year to help with the transition (which I doubt they will, but I’d be happy to be surprised about that).
    I would fall off my chair if that happened. They might sell such an adaptor, but no chance there’ll be one in the box.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    The real mystery is what version of USB-C will it be. I’m hoping Thunderbolt 4 but I’m a dreamer.
    llama
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Glad to hear the Pro also gets USB-C, it would have been infuriating if the Ultra was the only level to get USB-C.  Sounds like 2023 will be my upgrade year

edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    This leaker has been highly accurate. I believe him
  • Reply 15 of 15
    The real mystery is what version of USB-C will it be. I’m hoping Thunderbolt 4 but I’m a dreamer.
    M1 Pro , Max , and Ultra have TB4, Apple already has the silicon wonder how hard it would be to integrate
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra