Apple adds iPhone 6 to list of vintage products

Posted:
in iPhone
Eight years after the iPhone 6 launched in 2014, Apple has added the aged device to its list of vintage products.

Space Gray iPhone 6
Space Gray iPhone 6

The iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus were classified as vintage in February 2022, and now the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus meet the same fate.

When the iPhone 6s was launched, Apple continued to sell the iPhone 6 as its lower-cost offering. It finally stopped sales once the iPhone 7 was released in 2016.

The iPhone 6 line was the first time that Apple introduced the larger "Plus" variant to an iPhone. It also featured an all-new design with curved edges that replaced the older flat-edged design of the iPhone 4 through iPhone 5s.

Apple also launched Apple Pay alongside the iPhone 6, its secure payment system for storing credit and debit cards in the Wallet app that customers can use to purchase goods.

Apple considers one of its products as vintage when it stopped distributing them for sale more than five years and less than seven years ago.

The company provides service and parts for vintage products for up to seven years or as required by law.

Obsolete products are those that Apple stopped distributing for sale more than seven years ago -- but since the iPhone 6 was sold until 2016, we're not quite there yet. All hardware service is stopped for obsolete products, except for certain Macs that can receive battery-only repairs.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    And a fine vintage it is!
    CluntBaby92retrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Funny that the 6s was vintage before the 6. 
    CluntBaby92FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I got a 6 and thought it was too big. “Like talking into a dinner plate” was what I said. Traded it for my partner’s 5C. It’s funny to think, now that I have an 11, that I ever thought the 6 was too big.
    JaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    DAalseth said:
    I got a 6 and thought it was too big. “Like talking into a dinner plate” was what I said. Traded it for my partner’s 5C. It’s funny to think, now that I have an 11, that I ever thought the 6 was too big.
    I spent close to an hour in an Apple Store (about 20 minutes on each of three consecutive days) playing with the 6 and 6 Plus - holding each one, transferring it from hand to hand, putting it in various pockets and taking it out again, etc. I thought the Plus was perhaps too big, but it had the better camera system so I went with it anyway. It felt normal relatively quickly. Still got it in a drawer somewhere.
    JaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    DAalseth said:
    It took me a while to get used to it too, but now I think of it as the high point of iPhone design. I ended up replacing it when I had a battery issue and the new battery was taking too long to arrive, but I later gave it to a friend who still uses it. 
    JaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    6s was your very first cel phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I still use the 6s Plus as a sort of backup and phone to play around with. It is nice and large and thin and light. A superior phone in my humble opinion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    I jumped from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 6s and liked it so much I held onto it until the iPhone XR came out!

Eight years of support! Try telling any Pixel owner that LOL
    edited October 2022 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    chasm said:
    I jumped from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 6s and liked it so much I held onto it until the iPhone XR came out!

Eight years of support! Try telling any Pixel owner that LOL
    Yep people under-appreciate how long the useful lifespan of Apple gear is. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I bought a iPhone 6 to replace my iPhone 4 which I had had for 4 years. I kept my iPhone 6 for 6 years. Insane quality, it was basically not slow. But I wanted a better camera. The question is how long my iPhone 12 mini will last? 8 years or 12?
    watto_cobra