iPhone must use USB-C by 2024, says EU law

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    kolvaskolvas Posts: 22member
    I am trying to discern wether the ruling applies to the side of the cable that attaches to the phone, the charger, or both. If it is the side that attaches to the charger, I don’t see it being much of a problem since most apple cables have usb-c on one side at least. Of course, my car uses USB-A to charge and connect to CarPlay so a USB-A cable is and will definitely be needed. If it is the side that connects to the phone, then I find it disturbing that they can mandate what type of port is required to be present on a device. So if USB-D is released and is smaller, better and faster than USB-C, will companies not be allowed to deploy it until a new law is passed which permits them to use it? Idiots.
    edited October 2022 retrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 80
    pwrmacpwrmac Posts: 56member
    EU Is now also a Design buro :-) Next maybe they should build their own devices for EU citizens. Idiots!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 80
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Madbum said:
    spheric said:
    Madbum said:
    EU=Modern day communists in suits
    Anything I don't like = communism. 

It's amazing how McCarthyism can still raise its perverse stink, seven decades and more than two generations later. 
    Do you see USA telling BMW to make cars like GM?

Maybe you like communism?
    That's probably the dumbest thing I'm going to read all day, I think. 

Do you mean like US regulators have been telling German manufacturers to build cars for many decades?  :D

European version: 

US version, with required double headlights and the ugly bumper-car bumpers completely ruining the gorgeous lines and the lightness of the design: 

Fuckin' Commies, those Americans. 

freeassociate2neoncats.metcalftokyojimuFileMakerFellerroundaboutnowJP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 80
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Gov mandated standards always work so well. 

Ask the EU what are customers gonna do with all the lightning cables they current own now?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 80
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 145member
    Madbum said:
    spheric said:
    Madbum said:

It's amazing how McCarthyism can still raise its perverse stink, seven decades and more than two generations later. 

Um. I hate to break this to you, but the US does tell BMW how to make cars. U.S. standards for things like fuel efficiency, engine design, safety (airbags, backup cameras, etc.) are different here than in much of the world. In some ways, the U.S. standards are more strict, in some ways they are more relaxed. But in order for a company like BMW (or Toyota, or for that matter Ford) to sell cars in this country, they are required to conform to those standards. 

In some cases, this causes those standards to percolate around the world and cars become consistent regardless where they are sold. In other situations, standards cause cars to diverge—there are lot more diesel-fueled cars in Europe, for example, due to differing fuel/emission regulations. 

This is true across most industries. 
    tokyojimusphericmazda 3sFileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Let’s not forget this will help finally kill off USB-A and the ports-from-hell duo: mini and micro USB.  It’s not just about Lightning.  if it takes killing Lightning to get rid of those other two in particular it’s worth it.  I can’t believe how many products are still made with those god-awful connectors.
    edited October 2022 sphericdewmeretrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 80
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Apple shouldn’t need to be dragged kicking and screaming to implementing USB-C on iPhones. They just can’t seem to get past Lightning because of the revenue it brings in, regardless of how inferior it is.
    I’d prefer an upgraded Lightning port to USB-C.  As has been noted in AI (either in an reticle or in comments) USB-C easily “wears out” so that you don’t get a positive connection.   I don’t remember the proper term but I’ve seen that in other USB-C devices I have.  You start to get a loose connection that is intermittent.  This is because of the male part being in the main body and not the cable. 

sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 80
    jungmark said:

Ask the EU what are customers gonna do with all the lightning cables they current own now?
    Continue to use them with all the existing products they have that still need them?

This is about looking forward.
    edited October 2022 spheric
  • Reply 29 of 80
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    darkvader said:
    Took them long enough.

Apple should have ditched the idiotic Lightning connector years ago.  It's sad that it's taking the EU forcing them to finally take care of the problem.
    It is not a step forward.  Lightning 2 would have been better. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 80
    jungmark said:

You mean things like the standards that supply your water, heat, electricity, waste removal, construction, roads, air travel, and other safety standards, (where they’re not watered down by corporate bribery, that is)? I think you’re mistaking the holes driven into regulations by greedy companies (or corrupt local gov’t cheaping out) for the intent of the regulations. What makes these things fail is people circumventing them and attempting to game the system. 

Remember that ozone problem? Solved by regulation, not “corporate innovation”.

Anyway, it’s a friggin’ connector (with a confusing corporate “standard”, sure). Just get over it. Topics like these should not be the ones with the longest threads or poisoned by anyone’s person political indoctrination. Bring something to the table ya’ll, or quit posting. 
    edited October 2022 sphericdewmemazda 3scg27muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 80
    chadbag said:
    darkvader said:
    Took them long enough.

Apple should have ditched the idiotic Lightning connector years ago.  It's sad that it's taking the EU forcing them to finally take care of the problem.
    Maybe, but Apple were too late and didn’t make it before USB-C became dominant, and more specifically, they didn’t make Lightning open and free to use.  They were too addicted to MFi royalties.

Lightning was great and has maybe one advantage in being easier to insert.  I’m sure Apple could’ve made a USB-C competitor, but that ship has sailed.  USB-C is considered good enough, even for Apple to use on their laptops and iPads.
    edited October 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 80
    chadbag said:
    Apple shouldn’t need to be dragged kicking and screaming to implementing USB-C on iPhones. They just can’t seem to get past Lightning because of the revenue it brings in, regardless of how inferior it is.
    I’d prefer an upgraded Lightning port to USB-C.  As has been noted in AI (either in an reticle or in comments) USB-C easily “wears out” so that you don’t get a positive connection.   I don’t remember the proper term but I’ve seen that in other USB-C devices I have.  You start to get a loose connection that is intermittent.  This is because of the male part being in the main body and not the cable. 

I’ve heard mention of this but not experienced it personally, unlike micro USB which couldn’t keep a connection when the cable moved at all and would even fall out easily.

Apple are good at making things.  I think USB Consortium don’t have the same meticulously high standards as Apple, but that USB-C is still “good enough”.  It’s been fine on my MacBook for the past 2.5 years, and that sees the charging ports used almost as much as my iPhone of a similar age.
    edited October 2022
  • Reply 33 of 80
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    s.metcalf said:
    chadbag said:
    darkvader said:
    Took them long enough.

Maybe, but Apple were too late and didn’t make it before USB-C became dominant, and more specifically, they didn’t make Lightning open and free to use.  They were too addicted to MFi royalties.

Lightning was great and has maybe one advantage in being easier to insert.  I’m sure Apple could’ve made a USB-C competitor, but that ship has sailed.  USB-C is considered good enough, even for Apple to use on their laptops and iPads.
    The USB-C connectors are the single most flaky aspect of my 2016 MacBook Pro. They are kind of flimsy and prone to dirt and brief disconnections due to vibration onstage. 

The Lightning connector can fill up with pocket lint, but that's a toothpick away from working again. Not so easy with USB-C. 
    retrogustotheLedgerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 80
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Un-elected bureaucracy EU telling a private company  what is a better charger is over the line.

environment or safety regulations go both ways as some of the posters with communist tendencies are using that to defend the EU. 

Maybe my car example was not the best but talk to me when the USA tells Nespresso , to change the shape of their coffee pods in order to sell them in USA 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 80
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    BossaYeye said:
    Really hoping Apple adds USB-C to the iPhone.
     But they’re probably going to try to go portless before that even happens.  :/
    Portless is no longer possible. Since the EU burocrats enforce the USB-C for charging. So portless is not an option.
    I don't believe this is true. The EU is mandating USB-C connector when a cable is used, but not forbidding a strictly portless design in the future. While there's nothing barring Apple from producing a strictly portless iPhone 15 next year, they won't do it because there are still too many problems/incoveniences that a user would encounter if a cable connection wasn't possible. And what's the current max for MagSafe? 15W? Yeah, that's not going to cut it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 80
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 260member
    I can’t suppress the feeling that EU law makers just do not understand this matter: they consistently talk about chargers which is a good thing. But forcing device connections to use USB C is effectively just about the cables.

In the case of Apple, all chargers are already USB C, so what’s the problem this law is solving?? To force al cables to USB C? That’s stupid and hardly contributes to reducing ewaste.

It’s worse than that. The EU is attempting to engineer a technical solution to multiple problems at once, the foremost in the opinion of their legislators being e-waste. If that is the objective, why not legislate that goal, and allow the manufacturers, who are demonstrably better than politicians at innovative engineering solutions, do whatever it takes to implement that laudable goal?

From this side of the Atlantic, at least, the whole business smacks of legislators who want to prove they can stand up to big corporations, rather than wait ting to achieve an environmental goal.

FileMakerFellertheLedgerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 80
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I’d be happy with Apple keeping Lightning if only they’d bother to update it and keep it current.

The transfer speeds on it are really slow now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 80
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 142member
    macgui said:
    I don't mind USB-C for anything other than iPads or iPhones. Newer iPads already use USB-C, but I'd like to see Apple keep it off the iPhone for as long as possible. I'm good with Lightning.

It wouldn't and couldn't happen, but I'd like to see Apple say FU to the EU — "USB-C?? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' USB-C!" Not gonna happen though. The EU is too big of a market, so if Apple can't get around them, say "hi" to in on the phone.

Why? not trying to start a flame war here but, you have iPads and presumably already have usb-c chargers and cables. You are really so eager to carry one more cable?. I get the point about distaste for bureaucracies dictating terms to private companies. But why would you be opposed to it personally?
  • Reply 39 of 80
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    spheric said:
    Madbum said:
    spheric said:
    Madbum said:

That's probably the dumbest thing I'm going to read all day, I think. 

Do you mean like US regulators have been telling German manufacturers to build cars for many decades?  :D

European version: 

US version, with required double headlights and the ugly bumper-car bumpers completely ruining the gorgeous lines and the lightness of the design: 

Fuckin' Commies, those Americans. 

That's a poor example to compare to the EU forcing Apple to use the USB-C port on their devices, for the perceived benefit of reducing E-waste from chargers.

First of all, the US did not force Mercedes to design "ugly" bumpers. The regulation was that the auto had to survive a 5MPH crash test with no damages. The auto manufacturers could have use any design that worked. They were not forced to use the same standard bumper design.

Second, the 5MPH bumper served a real function. It had the real effect of reducing the cost auto repair for the consumers. There is no real reduction in E-Waste by forcing manufacturers to use a USB-C charging port on their devices. No USB-C charger comes with permanently attached cable. Why in the name of Hell do headphones, mice, keyboards and speakers need to use a USB-C port for charging? They have no need for fast data transfer. For these, a USB micro port for charging will serve exactly the same function as a USB-C port, when used with a USB-C charger. With no added E-waste from chargers.

And for the year of the Mercedes shown, Mercedes could have used single rectangular headlights (on each side). Granted maybe at the time, they might had to be the standard seal beam ones. But in 1984, the US did start allowing composite headlights with replaceable bulbs.

Here's a 1980 Ford Pinto with single rectangular seal beam headlights. And of course an "ugly" 5MPH bumper. It seems Mercedes copied the Pinto 5MPH bumper but not the single (on each side) rectangular headlight. Which they could have done in the mid eighties. So in the mid eighties, Mercedes had the choice of using on each side, a single round headlight, two round headlights, two rectangular headlights, a singe rectangular headlight and maybe headlights with replaceable bulbs. That a far cry from the US forcing Mercedes to use two round headlights in its design.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284722705224

Here's the 1984 Lincoln with the European composite headlights with replaceable bulb.
    https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/a-brighter-idea

more detail about the history of headlights in the US  - https://www.carid.com/articles/brief-history-of-sealed-beam-headlights-in-us.html

I'm willing to bet that if the EU was first to mandated autos survive a 5MPH crash test back in the 70's, you would claim how the EU was way ahead of its time by saving consumers money on the cost of auto repair. Even if it resulted in "ugly" bumpers. 

But I do agree that the Euro Mercedes were much more "sleeker" looking than the US models of the same year. 

edited October 2022 chadbagFileMakerFellersphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 80
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    I think Apple was going to switch to USB4/TB4 for iPhones over the next couple of years, and they've cancelled the portless iPhone design. There was something holding them back from improving Lightning, which is basically unchanged for 10 years now. It could have been a decision to go portless or to go USB Type C, whatever the eventual phone features and usage warranted.

The latest rumors have Apple going USB Type C and rumors of the portless iPhone from 2 to 3 years have gone away. So, if the 2023 iPhone has USB Type C, with whatever USB3/4, TB3/4 protocols, they probably made the decision in 2020 or perhaps 1H 2021. The camera team probably won out, as getting 10, 100 GB videos off an iPhone isn't pleasant with Lightning, and videos and photos are only getting bigger, not smaller.

By "improving Lightning", I mean increasing the data transfer rates to 5, 10, 20 gbit/s and perhaps power to 40 to 50 W. That they didn't and basically held it unchanged, not even a USB3 gen 3 whatever data rate of 10 gbit/s, I think, really implies they were going to move away from it.

I think the idea of keeping it due to licensing fees for MFI accessories is incorrect. There's going to be a MFI accessory program even it was USBC. There's enough cable confusion with USBC such that MFI will be a big branding advantage, and there is marketing power with it in of itself. It's just going to continue apace, not matter the port.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamdewme