Tony Fadell wants to see iPhone move to USB-C

Posted:
in iPhone
The inventor of the iPad believes that Apple should move the iPhone to USB-C, claiming that it is "the right thing" to do.

iPhone Lightning connector

On Tuesday, the European Union passed a law requiring manufacturers of smartphones, tablets, cameras, and other consumer electronics to use USB-C to charge their devices.

A Twitter user asked Fadell if he believed that the EU's regulation would hamper future projects by Apple. The iPod inventor explained that he didn't believe that it would.

I can't see a problem. The world has converged on USB-C. The physical & user limits have been hit. Next up is wireless per, not a diff physical connection.
So I'm not too worried about this regulation. They're simply forcing Apple to do the right thing it's overdue frankly. https://t.co/COtiZNCtmn

-- Tony Fadell (@tfadell)

In a following tweet, spotted by 9to5Mac, Fadell went on to explain that his concern is that Apple is taking a "monopolist-like position," rather than thinking about the technology itself.

Not in this case. This is only happening because Apple hasn't been doing the right thing. Period. This is about a monopolist like position not about technology. I hope after Apple is forced to change the regulations will be removed to allow innovation to continue. https://t.co/fkAk9yVtPn

-- Tony Fadell (@tfadell)

The EU has not specified a date for USB-C adoption beyond the end of 2024. It also must be formally approved and published and will enter into force 20 days later.

Apple has previously pushed back against the law, claiming that broad regulation and conformity stifles innovation, rather than encouraging it.

It's a possibility that the iPhone may move to USB-C, even without the threat of regulation. Apple first introduced USB-C to its iPad Pro lineup in 2018. The European Union regulation specifies USB-C or all-wireless charging, and the US legislation that is working its way through discussion does not specifically specify USB-C.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that the 2023 iPhone 15 will soon abandon the Lightning connector and move to USB-C

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Have little patience. Either USB-C or Port-less iPhone. But, something will happen And I am fine either way.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    The right thing to do is stick with lightening until portless. For Europe, a special iPhone can be made with the lighting port blocked. They can go portless first. Slightly slower charging but that's bout it. There would be a MagSafe to lighting adapter available to use existing peripherals, of course.
    racerhomie3watto_cobramejsric
  • Reply 3 of 23
    M68000M68000 Posts: 724member
    There are still concerns about how physically reliable this usb-c connector is.  I’ve seen connection\charging issues on a few MacBooks in the relatively short time usb-c has been on market.  It looks somewhat flimsy compared to lightning.  But guess it does not matter,  let’s all switch to usb-c and see how reliable it is.   Who knows,  in 5 years it may be time for yet another physical connector…
    rob53jibwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Apple is considering the technology.  Which is why they’ve resisted USB-C.  

Lightning does need to be updated to support higher data speeds and charging rates.  But USB-C and it’s lousy connector isn’t it. 
    rob53watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 5 of 23
    One or the other please. Tired of juggling cables, charging blocks, and adapters. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    He was the father of iPod, not iPad. 
    FileMakerFelleriOSDevSWEh4y3srob53racerhomie3watto_cobraStrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 7 of 23
    The Lightening cable works 100% with its positive lock design.  If my succession of MacBooks is anything to go by, USB-C is a sometimes-connection. Truly second rate, mechanically speaking. 

I’m guessing Apple is completely focused on the end of direct cable connections to devices. Sooner than later. 
    jibwatto_cobraStrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 8 of 23
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    I don’t understand the pro usb-c camp as very few people use a cable to off-load data and lightening is a pure male into female connector that is bound to be more resilient than usb-c.  Tony should know this as an engineer.

Apple should delay as long as possible.
    M68000jibwatto_cobragilly33StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Well, the USB-A connector was around for about 17 years before the USB-C connector arrived in 2014/2015. So USB-C probably has a useful life of another ten years or so before a new standard gets proposed. Maybe 15 more years of general consumer support, although that's hard to predict.

For reference, PS/2 was developed in roughly 1987 and lasted maybe 15 years before being supplanted by USB.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I can’t imagine Apple going to USB-C for 1-2 years and then going portless. I’m expecting  iPhone 15 to be the game changer.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Right and Wrong are moral terms - Correct and Incorrect are scientific terms.  This is grade (1) English. Crazy....
    h4y3sFileMakerFellerHedware
  • Reply 12 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    proline said:
    The right thing to do is stick with lightening until portless. For Europe, a special iPhone can be made with the lighting port blocked. They can go portless first. Slightly slower charging but that's bout it. There would be a MagSafe to lighting adapter available to use existing peripherals, of course.
    Or they could just ship an iPhone with a USB-C port. Pettiness isn’t good business sense. 
    muthuk_vanalingamlkruppgrandact73kingofsomewherehotFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 23
     as usual are just being completely greedy. This has ZERO to do with innovation. How the F is grasping onto USB2 speeds for over 10 years innovation? This is greed pure and simple because they’re making so much money and royalties from the MFI program. Nothing else!!!!! As much as I like their products they make me sick sometimes.  
    grandact73cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 23
    badmonk said:
    I don’t understand the pro usb-c camp as very few people use a cable to off-load data and lightening is a pure male into female connector that is bound to be more resilient than usb-c.  Tony should know this as an engineer.

Real engineers refer to datasheets.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 15 of 23
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    CiaranF said:
     as usual are just being completely greedy. This has ZERO to do with innovation. How the F is grasping onto USB2 speeds for over 10 years innovation? This is greed pure and simple because they’re making so much money and royalties from the MFI program. Nothing else!!!!! As much as I like their products they make me sick sometimes.  
    We're talking about charging a phone or tablet with minimal data transfer requirements. 99% of the time a lightning connector is used is for charging and it serves that need very well. USB-C will add nothing except for complexity and more electronics and possibly more cost because of patents (USB might be a standard but we all know about standards costing money). The iPad (some of them) use USB-C because they have the ability to connect external storage. That application makes sense but when has anyone seen an external storage device connected to an iPhone? 

I back up my iPhone to my Mac, not to iCloud, so it can take a bit of time to do but I don't do it very often, which is why I said 99% of the time I use a lightning connector for charging. One connector isn't needed for everything and I bet non-iPhones aren't using the full capability of USB4 on their USB-C connectors so it's actually a waste of a connector. 
    racerhomie3baconstangwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 16 of 23
    badmonk said:

Just reframe the thinking. Apple has chosen to use USB-C over Lightning in iPads and Macs. So Apple is in "the usb-c camp" with those products. Is Apple wrong for using USB-C in them instead of lightning? 

Generally, the answer is NO... which then leads to the conclusion that some of our opinions revolve around whatever Apple has decided and will even flip flop or split when Apple is split:

• USB-C is wrong for iPhones because Apple still clings to Lightning there.
    • USB-C is right for iPads and Macs because Apple embraces USB-C there. 

Reminds me of how much "we" ridiculed phablet-sized phones while Apple called 3.5" and then 4" screens perfection: one handed use, fragmentation, pants with bigger pockets, et all. Then Apple goes phablet to overwhelming acceptance as "best iPhone ever" followed by "how did we ever get by with those puny screens." All these years later and I'm still not seeing all these pants with bigger pockets... and wow, how our one-handed-use hands magically grew!!!  ;)  

Even more reminds me of original iPad mini launch where Apple rolled out one iPad with retina and mini without. Then "we" spun how retina made perfect sense where Apple was using it and how nobody needed retina where Apple wasn't offering it... until the next year when the latter iPad had an upgrade to a retina screen and then retina was the reason "we" spun to urgently upgrade. So apparently nobody needed retina for that one year but then everybody needed retina as soon as Apple offered the next generation version with it. 

Should Apple comply and roll out USB-C in the next iPhone, will Apple be wrong for doing so? Will the "pro-lightning camp" come back in those threads ripping into Apple for making a terrible decision? Based on repeating history of "whatever Apple decides is right" (and thus "my" opinion- even if presented quite passionately at any given time- is actually fluid), NO. Instead, the "pro lightning camp" will very likely and readily flip their opinion as soon as Apple flips their choice of connector: USB-C will be terrific in iPhones as soon as Apple decides to roll out iPhones with USB-C. Until then... apparently... (other than iPads and Macs) USB-C makes little sense because Apple doesn't offer an iPhone with USB-C now.
    edited October 2022 crowleycropravon b7muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 17 of 23
    chadbag said:

Lightning does need to be updated to support higher data speeds and charging rates.  But USB-C and it’s lousy connector isn’t it. 
    Is it? So why did they decide to change to USB-C in the MacBooks if it is lousy?
    grandact73muthuk_vanalingamJP234
  • Reply 18 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    chadbag said:

Is it? So why did they decide to change to USB-C in the MacBooks if it is lousy?
    + iPad Pro

If Apple had any interest in upgrading Lightning they’d have done it already. USB-C is definitely it.
    grandact73muthuk_vanalingamJP234
  • Reply 19 of 23
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member
    Tony who? You mean the Google guy?
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Lightning should have been made faster for iPhone 14 Pros!  
    watto_cobra