Microsoft cranks up entire Surface line with new Intel processors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2022
As part of its about-annual upgrade cycle, Microsoft's Surface Pro 9, Surface Laptop 5, and Surface Studio 2 Plus featuring new Intel processors have debuted at about the same price points as the previous models.

The new Surface Pro 9 was shown at the Microsoft event
The new Surface Pro 9 was shown at the Microsoft event

Alongside multiple new Surface computers, Microsoft also released information about a new audio dock and Windows 11 updates. Accessibility was also an important part of the event with new tools and software features.

Microsoft, like Apple, offers a suite of hardware, software, and services that combine into a unified experience. The event emphasized how products work together to help people get work and play done.

Surface Pro 9

The Surface Pro 9 is a renewed part of the Surface lineup that combines the Surface Pro and Surface Pro X into a single machine. Customers can choose between an ARM processor with 5G or an Intel 12th-generation processor.

The SQ3 ARM processor is the only option with 5G cellular support. There are multiple color options for the keyboard case and tablet, but tablet colors are limited to Intel models.

It has a 13-inch PixelSense display that can be detached from the keyboard. The laminated display makes writing with the Surface Slim Pen feel closer to the content.

Tablet color options are only available for Intel models
Tablet color options are only available for Intel models

The Surface Slim Pen has a microactuator to provide a slight feeling of friction when writing. A button on the top of the pen can be pressed to open One Note anywhere.

The Surface Pro 9 has a 2880p by 1920p resolution and 120Hz refresh rate. They can be configured with 8GB of RAM at the base up to 32GB of RAM for Intel models. The ARM SQ3 version has 8GB of RAM or 16GB of RAM options.

The storage options are also dependent on the processor chosen. Intel models start at 128GB of storage and go up to 1TB, while ARM models start at 128GB and go up to 512GB.

Prices start at $999.99 for the Intel model and $1,299.99 for the SQ3 model. Both ship on October 25.

Surface Laptop 5

Unlike the Surface Pro 9, the Surface Laptop 5 are Intel only. They come with Thunderbolt 4 and lack AMD options.

Surface Laptop 5 gains Thunderbolt 4, loses AMD
Surface Laptop 5 gains Thunderbolt 4, loses AMD

Customers can choose between the 13.5-inch 2256p by 1504p display or the 15-inch 2496p by 1664p display. They include Dolby Vision IQ support.

The design hasn't changed remarkably from the Surface Laptop 4. A new green color option is available for the 13.5-inch model.

There are two processor options for the 13.5-inch Surface Laptop 5. They are the Intel 12th Gen Core i5 or the Intel 12th Gen Core i7. The 15-inch model only has the Core i7.

Configurations start with 256GB of storage and 8GB of RAM. These can be increased to 1TB and 32GB of RAM.

The 13.5-inch model starts at $999.99 and the 15-inch model starts at $1,299.99. Both begin shipping on October 25.

Surface Studio 2 Plus

The Surface Studio 2 Plus is a spec bump on the existing four-year-old model. It gains the Intel 11th Gen Core i7 processor and Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU with 6GB of VRAM.

The Surface Studio 2 Plus offers a spec bump
The Surface Studio 2 Plus offers a spec bump

Otherwise, the Surface Studio 2 still has the same 28-inch PixelSense touchscreen at 4500p by 3000p resolution. It gained Dolby Vision support as well.

There are three Thunderbolt 4 ports on the back with support for attaching three 4K monitors.

The Surface Studio 2 Plus only has one configuration with a 1TB SSD and 32GB of RAM. It is priced at $4,299 or $4,499 with a stylus.

Audio Dock and Adaptive Accessories

Microsoft rounded out the event with a few accessory announcements. There's a new Audio Dock that aims to help declutter the user's desk and a release date for Adaptive Accessories.

The Microsoft Audio Dock is a Teams-certified accessory
The Microsoft Audio Dock is a Teams-certified accessory

The Audio Dock is a large-ish pill-shaped speakerphone system with large buttons on the top for easy controls. It has a hub in the rear housing HDMI, USB-A, and two USB-C ports.

The connected PC gets passthrough charging and access to up to two monitors that can be connected via HDMI and USB-C. The passthrough charging offers 60W of power.

Alongside this speakerphone hub, Microsoft revealed the Presenter Plus remote control. The remote acts as a simple controller for Teams for use when away from the keys, like in a conference room environment.

Finally, Microsoft announced that its long-awaited range of accessibility accessories would be available on October 25. The system includes a programmable button, an adaptive mouse, and the Microsoft Adaptive Hub.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Not of interest to me, but hey, if you are in ther Windows world, they are nice devices. And they’re head and shoulders above Android tablets. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Microsoft is faced with the same sort of trade offs re: Intel that Apple faced. The anemic Studio 2 refresh is particularly telling and reminiscent of Apple’s choices in that context. Small wonder why Apple decided to try a different approach.

I’d still love to see Apple come out with an M2 iPad+ in two sizes, around 16-18" and 22-24" …

This clears the decks for Apple to start promoting their next event!
    williamlondoniOS_Guy80watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I’d still love to see Apple come out with an M2 iPad+ in two sizes, around 16-18" and 22-24" …
    That wouldn’t be a tablet. That would be a poster board.
    davthtDAalsethmacxpressravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Yes, exactly, art is made on poster boards—in reality, Apple is hesitant to compete with Wacom (e.g., Cintiq Pro 16" 24" 27" 32"), and graphics tablets are a niche market anyway. But Wacom tablets and pens are input devices, they are tethered to computers. An M3 iPad+ graphics tablet wouldn’t have that limitation, at least not to the same extent. 
    ravnorodomwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,852member
    Me Too, the Intel CPU’s are holding them back….
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    JP234 said:
    Don't know what anyone would pay $1,000+ for a Surface when they could get a much more capable Windows laptop for about half that. Less on Black Friday.
    Style is one reason why.  
    JP234watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I hope they've improved them from what they were before. In my experience, the Surface is the biggest overpriced piece of shit ever. We tried to use them at work and nothing but issues from the keyboards, overheating, graphics card issues, their shitty docking stations, and they have shit support. They're certainly not worth the price. 
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    I'm surprised Microsoft didn't reintroduce the Surface Neo, their dual screen 360° clamshell laptop that they delayed. Perhaps the folding OLED laptops have now killed it and MS will try again with a folding OLED in 2023.

It's too bad Apple doesn't want to experiment more. If iPadOS was only more mature, with a good set of applications. Like, full featured MS Office, Apple's pro apps and Terminal.app. There is a lot of slate form factors they can try. The folding OLED is an obvious one. A 20" 3:2 OLED will fold in half to a 14" 4:3 "tablet". You can use it as a 20" display, a 14" tablet, and a 14" laptop with software keyboard, The software keyboard would basically be the same size as the current Macbook keyboard.

I'd like to see something like a 14.5" 5:4 aspect ratio tablet, and a 12.5" 5:4 tablet too. The sizes are chosen so that 15 keyboard keys and 13 keyboard keys could be laid out on the width of the respective size. The 5:4 aspect ratio maximizes the vertical display for apps. Tablets are used flat on a table or desk or on a lap.

I kind of want to see an 8" 21:9 iPad or iPod touch. Width would be about 3 inches and isn't too width to thumb type in portrait. Lots of vertical display space for apps while the keyboard is out, and fully framed widescreen movies.

Lots of things they can experiment with for every type of computer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Yes, exactly, art is made on poster boards—in reality, Apple is hesitant to compete with Wacom (e.g., Cintiq Pro 16" 24" 27" 32"), and graphics tablets are a niche market anyway. But Wacom tablets and pens are input devices, they are tethered to computers. An M3 iPad+ graphics tablet wouldn’t have that limitation, at least not to the same extent. 
    For that sizes, it wouldn't be portable and it defeats the iPad existence. It's better to take a giant 30"+ iMac and transforms it to desktop tablet. If I am a graphic novel/manga artist, I prefer to get a Mac and input device (Wacom) separately because each one is a heavy investment.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    JP234 said:
    Don't know what anyone would pay $1,000+ for a Surface when they could get a much more capable Windows laptop for about half that. Less on Black Friday.
    Microsoft is a rather powerful company and brand. They have a huge enterprise IT presence, have a big advertising budget, and the Surface Pro and Surface Laptop are competitive. They have the most Mac like displays (200 to 260 DPI), very Mac like minimal industrial design and a huge advertising budget. It's enough to keep the hardware going.

The Surface Studio, Surface Book, and Surface Studio Laptop look like failed form factors? It's nice that they have a tried. I wish Apple would be more experimental. The Pro and Laptop are good enough to reward the reward the advertising spend. NFL etc.
    tenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Do you guys know if in the Pro9 they are using the same display panel as the Pro8?
    The PWM there is a showstopper for me. I’m in the market right now…
    edited October 2022