Zimbabwean president Mugabe's new reign of terror - UN sits on hands

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Chiraq's buddy Robert Mugabe has decided it's time to start cracking down on the people again, and the guy is definitely beating Castro in political dissent crack-down. Fidel just ain't what he used to be.

Hidden from a world whose gaze has been fixed on Iraq, a full-scale reign of terror has been unleashed on opponents of the Zimbabwean President, Robert Mugabe.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of Zimbabweans were arrested and tortured as Mr Mugabe, apparently taking advantage of the lull in international scrutiny, stepped up his campaign of repression during the three weeks of the United States' war on Saddam Hussein.

The numbers arrested in the past month are unprecedented, and for the first time the focus of intimidation has shifted from the rural areas to opposition supporters in towns. Many victims have been forced to sit on hot electric stoves and fires, says the MDC, which is publishing newspaper advertisements showing pictures of the tortured and injured.

The notorious "Green Bombers", Mr Mugabe's youth militias, have also intensified their intimidation campaign in the countryside, seeking out MDC sympathisers, burning homes, raping and beating. Many victims are thought to have been beaten to death.

Well that's terrible!

But surely everyone's favorite peace-keeping nation whose responsibility this sort of things is will be on the case!

The South African government mustered support among African nations within the UN Human Rights Commission to prevent a vote condemning Zimbabwe in Geneva this week.

Chalk up yet another success for the United Nations! w00t!

(Yes, this is the same Human Rights Commission chaired by Libya)

Folks, this is almost too easy.

Oh, but wait. I'll point out what is perhaps the best part.

Many Zimbabweans who would not have supported the Iraqi war are talking of a "Bush solution". "Mr Bush, when are you coming to liberate us?" has become a catchphrase among unemployed youths.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    osxaddictosxaddict Posts: 131member
    I'm glad you are on the case, Grover

Actually, thanks for the article. Informative and I had no idea Libya (Libya??!! Are you crazy??!!) was chairing the Human Rights Commission. Damn..they really are stupid up there at the UN.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    This one is easy. Since UN is nothing but its member states please tell your UN ambassador to take the issue to the security council or the general essembly (sp?)
  • Reply 3 of 22
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    They're right. How long will it be before the US steps in?

I mean, Iraq was all about bad guys wasn't it?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Way ahead of you. I already write my boy Lloyd Doggett about stuff and since I couldn't find any contact information for John Negroponte I'm including it in a letter to Doggett.

huzzah for local reps!
  • Reply 5 of 22
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    they've got oil or diamonds or something, right?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

they've got oil or diamonds or something, right?

No. Tobacco. Lots of lovely tobacco.

Do Halliburton make cigarettes?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Anyone else find it odd that people look to the "most hated nation in the world" for help and don't expect anything out of the world organization whose stated goal is the eradication of such things?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Anyone else find it odd that people look to the "most hated nation in the world" for help and don't expect anything out of the world organization whose stated goal is the eradication of such things?

What are you trying to say, groverat?

Has a single quote from one citizen in an oppressed nation in Southern Africa convinced you that the invasion of Iraq has turned around world opinion and no-one hates America anymore?

And what are you actually arguing? Should we abolish the UN now altogether? Should we reform it? Do we need an international body at all now?

Wha yuh seh?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Has a single quote from one citizen in an oppressed nation in Southern Africa convinced you that the invasion of Iraq has turned around world opinion and no-one hates America anymore?

Well I certainly didn't say that no one hates America anymore.

You'll notice that I quoted "the most hated nation in the world" which is a sentiment lots of people express. I think it's stupid, personally.

I think it's ironic from the point of view of the hysterical anti-war people who think the US is out to drown babies in oil.

Quote:

And what are you actually arguing? Should we abolish the UN now altogether? Should we reform it? Do we need an international body at all now?

If I'm going to make an argument about what should actually be done with the UN I'll make the argument. This is just another indication of how ridiculous I think the organization is; that and the idea of a world government in the first place.

I don't care, keep the UN, don't keep it. Whatever. I think it's going to be a failure no matter what. I hope Bush now understands what Clinton understood for 8 years, the UNSC is not worth the time it takes to ask them what the best idea is for whatever situations might arise, just do what you think is best.

We could reform it, but I'm never a big fan of putting lipstick on a pig and trying to pass it off as Elle Macpherson.

Together if we can, alone if we must.

The UN is a joke when it comes to anything but food hand-outs.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Together if we can, alone if we must.

Eep.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    What's wrong with that?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

I don't care, keep the UN, don't keep it. Whatever. I think it's going to be a failure no matter what...

It's a failure when it comes to security matters. UN organizations like WHO aren't failures. I say keep it but don't consult it on matters where it has nothing useful to add. By the way, Clinton didn't really understand this. If he did, we wouldn't have lost 18 Rangers in Mogadishu.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    All references to the UN sucking from me are specific to the issue of security and "peace"keeping.

They do great things in other arenas.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I call for inspections. And talks. And inspect the inspectors. Then talk about inspections. Then, I'd like to see the talkers inspected while talking to the inspectors. Short of that, we should talk about inspections to the inspectors being talked about.

Beyond that, more inspections.

As long as it takes.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    There needs to be an inspection oversight committee as well.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well that goes without saying, my man. However, I would like the potential members to be inspected.

You see, it's a long, complicated process and we should not be too hasty in any action here. Groverat, get back to us in 12 years. You're obviously too impatient and simply don't "get it" and how it's "supposed" to work.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Too much inspection makes you go blind.

Is it harder to find WMD with hairy palms?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

and we shouldn't forget them.

http://www.un.org/aboutun/mainbodies.htm
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

All references to the UN sucking from me are specific to the issue of security and "peace"keeping.

I'd hasten add that they're also a bad joke when it comes to human rights.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Isn't this thread in violation of posting guidelines?