Apple rumored to launch M2 iPad Pro on Tuesday

Posted:
in iPad
Apple is reportedly gearing up to launch its upcoming iPad Pro line on October 18.

iPad Pro
iPad Pro

It is looking more likely that Apple will announce its newest entry into the iPad Pro line on Tuesday. The expected highlight feature is the addition of the M2 chip to the prosumer tablet.

Codenamed J617 and J620, the tablets are said to use the M2 chip, as many rumors and speculation have forecast as the most obvious upgrade. This will apparently provide an almost 20% speed boost over the M1 equivalent.

Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman has tweeted that he suspects the release "should be tomorrow."

In case it wasn't obvious with the "days away" wording from Saturday, the launch should be tomorrow. https://t.co/moc5PU8hLk

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

Speculation about the new iPad Pro models includes the addition of wireless charging with MagSafe, new smart connectors, and an upgrade bringing mini LED backlighting to the 11-inch model.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    That’s great, I’ll stick with my M1 iPP though.
    I’m anxious to get my hands on the newest iPadOS though. 
    jas99jahbladerezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Will I EVER get to replace my big screen iMac?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    With another big screen iMac? Unlikely.

With the introduction of the Mac Studio and the Studio Display, it seems like that's your best alternative (or using the Mac mini as the host).

If they wanted an iMac Pro replacement, they would have prototyped a number of test configurations in their labs and probably would have released something by now, either speed bumped Intel model or an M2 by now. Instead they discontinued the product.

A more likely scenario is that they never had another iMac Pro on their product roadmap. It was a known dead end, a stopgap solution between the two vastly different Mac Pros. 

Remember that desktop Macs are less than 15% of Apple's total Mac unit sales. They don't really see this as a growth market.
    edited October 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    DAalseth said:
    That’s great, I’ll stick with my M1 iPP though.
    I’m anxious to get my hands on the newest iPadOS though. 
    I just bought a "renewed" one off of Amazon, for $1000, down from $2000, the iPad Pro 12.9" 1TB Cellular...
    I waited it all the way out...  And I have till January 31st, to return the PIG... but I won't...

It's going to great with my M1 Pro with Universal Control, and MiniLED, XDR, P3, ProMotion, TB/USB-C 5G, boom shackalacka!
    So Happy Gosh DAMN, those damn things Brand NEW with 5G are $2000+!!

Just couldn't do it... $1000 for a 5G iPad Pro, yeah I can PULL...
    DAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mpantone said:

With the introduction of the Mac Studio and the Studio Display, it seems like that's your best alternative (or using the Mac mini as the host).

If they wanted an iMac Pro replacement, they would have prototyped a number of test configurations in their labs and probably would have released something by now, either speed bumped Intel model or an M2 by now. Instead they discontinued the product.

A more likely scenario is that they never had another iMac Pro on their product roadmap. It was a known dead end, a stopgap solution between the two vastly different Mac Pros. 

Remember that desktop Macs are less than 15% of Apple's total Mac unit sales. They don't really see this as a growth market.
    On the other hand, they provide things like Stage Manager that is probably really useful for only about 5% of users. iMac in two sizes is hardly a technological or manufacturing reach. All other Macs and iPads come in many sizes. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    mpantone said:

On the other hand, they provide things like Stage Manager that is probably really useful for only about 5% of users. iMac in two sizes is hardly a technological or manufacturing reach. All other Macs and iPads come in many sizes. 

Oh, there's no technological challenge to making a larger iMac. They've done so before.

Apple has access to pretty much every single commercially viable flat panel display on this planet including widescreen panels, curved panels, in all display technologies (plasma, eInk, TN, VA, IPS, OLED, newer OLED variants, whatever) at all sizes whether it be 4" or 80"+.

Clearly there is no larger iMac because they made a business decision to discontinue that size.

As for Stage Manager it will likely end up being used by more people in the iPad Pro audience. There's also a chance that it will migrate in some diminished/simplified form to other devices and likely the Mac. This is a productivity workflow improvement, not some neat snazzy camera function that has an immediate visible benefit (like ultra-low light performance or anti-shake). My guess is that uptake will be slower as people figure out the best way (if any) to harness for their individual usage case.

For sure, not every technology that Apple has introduced had true long-term stickiness. Ultimately it will be users that decide whether whatever Apple comes up with is worth using.
    edited October 2022 muthuk_vanalingam