Level Lock+ with Home Key hits some Apple Store shelves

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has gradually started to sell the Home Key-enabled Level Lock+ smart lock, with the smart home security device appearing in some physical Apple Store locations in the United States.

[via twitter.com/james_dombro]
[via twitter.com/james_dombro]

Appearing on some Apple Store shelves on Friday, the Level Lock+ is an upgraded form of the existing Level Lock smart lock. It is one of the first on the market to include support for Home Key, an Apple feature that allows a nearby iPhone or Apple Watch to unlock the lock.

Twitter user James Dombro spotted the product in his local Apple Stores. The box displays an iPhone being used in close proximity to the keyhole, with the user being authenticated to unlock it.

Shortly after the discovery, other Apple customers spotted the smart lock in their nearest store, though it doesn't appear to be available at all locations. As of Saturday, Apple hasn't updated the online Apple Store to display the Level Lock+, but it does show the earlier non-Home Key Level Lock that does support Homekit.

Level Home has yet to officially launch the Plus version of the lock, but the appearance at stores could be a sign a formal release is imminent.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    An automatic garage door opener complete with motor costs less than this. Oh, and AI, I know it is unintentionally in the corner of the picture included in the article, but is usually a good idea in this sort of report to include the RRP.  It is USD$329.95 plus tax. At least ten times the cost of decent quality deadbolt, if not more.

What. A. Ripoff.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I am looking forward to it since it will cost about double from a regular amazon smart deadbolt available but I like that even if my watch or smart phone is taken it has to be authenticated first to open. Good feature. For those that says it cost 10 times more then a good quality deadbolt not true. I purchased a comercial level lock for my front door since the other dead bolts can be defeated easily especially those that cost under 50 dollars. My deadbolt which I am happy with cost me 89+ tax. And adding another layer is worth it for me. Since I have already re enforced doors and security windows and my weapons of course. Yep a little paranoia is worth it. Better extra safe then sorry 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Wow just wow.  So instead of supporting their existing Level Touch customers with a firmware update to support HomeKey, they chose to milk their existing HomeKit customers by introducing a new lock.  But hey, maybe they can’t get their NFC to work with HomeKey or maybe they have plans to update the firmware on the Touch but there was a Reddit with a email screenshot explaining they have no plans to integrate HomeKey into the Touch.  Very disappointing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    So is this LL+ Thread / Matter compatible?  If not, should one wait for the LL++ Thread / Matter compatible update?  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I'd be all over this if it worked with my current integrated deadbolt/lockset. Level said it probably wouldn't but I'd be tempted to try, and return it if it didn't work. It's pricey, but working with my watch would make it worthwhile to me.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    omasouomasou Posts: 573member
    macgui said:
    I'd be all over this if it worked with my current integrated deadbolt/lockset. Level said it probably wouldn't but I'd be tempted to try, and return it if it didn't work. It's pricey, but working with my watch would make it worthwhile to me.

It may not. If the deadbolt portion of the integrated lock is flush w/the outside door the tumbler uses the space taken by level.

Hope that makes sense.

edited October 2022
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    It doesn't, and that's not the potential issue.