New Apple TV 4K with A15, HDR10+, more storage debuts

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2022
Apple has announced two versions of an updated Apple TV 4K with A15 processor, with varying networking and storage options.

Updated Apple TV 4K has an A15 Bionic processor
Updated Apple TV 4K has an A15 Bionic processor

The Apple TV 4K got a slight spec bump and price change on Tuesday. The two versions differ by port availability and internal storage.

The base storage has increased from 32GB to 64GB. This model is missing an Ethernet port, but has the A15 Bionic and other features included with tvOS. This lower-end model starts at $129.

The more premium model has 128GB of storage, Gigabit Ethernet, and Thread networking. Matter support is also tied to this model, so users who need a home hub for Matter accessories need to get this $149 option.

"Apple TV 4K is the ultimate way for Apple users to enjoy their favorite entertainment on the biggest screen in the home, and now it is more powerful than ever," said Bob Borchers, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "The new Apple TV 4K is unlike anything else out there, given its seamless connection to other Apple devices, ease of use, and access to amazing Apple content. It offers something for everyone in the family to love."

Apple claims the A15 Bionic will provide up to 50% more CPU performance and 30% GPU performance over the previous Apple TV 4K model. It supports HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.

Both models go on sale on November 4. The lower-priced model without Thread and Ethernet starts at $129.

Read on AppleInsider
curtis hannah

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    Hear that? It's the stampede of people rushing to get the old model before they go out of stock.
    williamlondonstarof80beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Wow! A spec bump and a cheaper price I must be in an alternate universe.
    kiehtanwatto_cobracurtis hannah
  • Reply 3 of 52
    illrigger said:
    Hear that? It's the stampede of people rushing to get the old model before they go out of stock.
    Why?
    mike1williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 52
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Wow! A spec bump and a cheaper price I must be in an alternate universe.
    The spec bump comes with a spec thump... no Thread.
    starof80watto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Apple has not provided pricing details for the high-end model.

But 149 USD is right there on the website.

starof80stompyentropyswatto_cobracurtis hannah
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Let’s hope this one supports hires lossless audio…
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 52
    caz-adam said:
    illrigger said:
    Why?
    Because the loss of Matter support and the Ethernet port is a pretty big deal for a streaming box that is also your home automation hub, especially considering the extra features added this year aren't super useful for one. Extra storage, CPU and GPU power for the miniscule number of games is not a big selling point, so it's really just HDR10+ support, which only Samsung and TCL TVs can even use.

In effect, the old entry level model is the way to go for most people, and if you want the new one you should really only be considering the $150 one. The new entry level one is basically an expensive Roku.
    edited October 2022 dewmeelijahgwilliamlondonAlex1Ndocno42
  • Reply 8 of 52
    22july2013 said:

The higher end model is $149 and includes an A15, thread, ethernet, and 128 GB storage.

What's not to like?
    edited October 2022 dewmemike1tdknoxkiehtanAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 52
    22july2013 said:

The higher end model is $149 and includes an A15, thread, ethernet, and 128 GB storage.

What's not to like?
    Well, the fact that they neutered the $129 price point model so badly that you can get almost the same functionality from a $50 Roku or FireTV stick, but that's just good news for Apple since their formerly DOA high-end Apple TV 4K is now the only one worth buying. And for that price, I admit it's a good product. It is finally competing with the nVidia Shield TV directly, and given the Shield is 7+ years old at this point, it's good that someone has finally caught up.
    williamlondonstarof80muthuk_vanalingamdocno42
  • Reply 10 of 52
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    caz-adam said:
    Let’s hope this one supports hires lossless audio…
    Why wouldn’t it? 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 52
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Definitely agree that the higher end model with Ethernet, Thread, and Matter support is the only way to go if you're looking to use this for more than media streaming. I'm very happy to see that this device will support both HomeKit and Matter devices. The last time I checked, the previous generation Apple TV 4K only supported Thread for HomeKit compatible devices, which I find too limited. Not sure whether Apple will back-port matter support into the previous generation Apple TV 4K and HomePod mini, but I'm not holding my breath.

I can definitely see myself buying one of these new full-function Apple TVs. The price point seems very reasonable.
    williamlondonstarof80mike1Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 52
    There shouldn’t be a $129 option. Thread, Matter and an Ethernet port is well worth a 20 upgrade. You want an Apple TV because it is the portal for your media consumption apps but most importantly because it is your home hub. 

As someone said above people are better off with the current version if they go on sale at retailers if they want a homekit hub. 

williamlondonstarof80PatchyThePirateV.3watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 13 of 52
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    caz-adam said:
    illrigger said:
    Why?

Ethernet scores over WIFI if only because when I change WiFI routers/access-point locations/distribution strategies (for creating a firewall between my home gear and my work gear most recently), the Ethernet connected devices don't care.  The only reason I want WiFi in the house is for smartphones, tablets, laptops.  But VOIP phones, home computers, connected cameras, printers, electronic/embedded projects, TVs and set-top boxes can all be Ethernet connected.  I like it that way.  DHCP and having the routers know the IP addresses of every wired device is most excellent.  Even changing Ethernet equipment doesn't lose the Ethernet access for each wired device. 

Getting rid of Ethernet in the set top box is a mistake from my perspective.  The good news is that I already have the one 4K AppleTV I need for now and it doesn't appear that they added any feature I was looking for so I will put off buying at this time.  I could imagine adding a 4K AppleTV elsewhere in the house and that will give me pause.  Right now my portable/bedroom/office Apple TV is a 1K unit.  

elijahgwilliamlondonrezwitsAlex1Nwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 52
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    tadd said:
    caz-adam said:
    illrigger said:
    Why?

Ethernet scores over WIFI if only because when I change WiFI routers/access-point locations/distribution strategies (for creating a firewall between my home gear and my work gear most recently), the Ethernet connected devices don't care.  The only reason I want WiFi in the house is for smartphones, tablets, laptops.  But VOIP phones, home computers, connected cameras, printers, electronic/embedded projects, TVs and set-top boxes can all be Ethernet connected.  I like it that way.  DHCP and having the routers know the IP addresses of every wired device is most excellent.  Even changing Ethernet equipment doesn't lose the Ethernet access for each wired device. 

Getting rid of Ethernet in the set top box is a mistake from my perspective.  The good news is that I already have the one 4K AppleTV I need for now and it doesn't appear that they added any feature I was looking for so I will put off buying at this time.  I could imagine adding a 4K AppleTV elsewhere in the house and that will give me pause.  Right now my portable/bedroom/office Apple TV is a 1K unit.  

Clearly not an average user. Most people are not running wires around their home, never mind creating a firewall between their work and home gear,.
    However, I can't see why anyone would pass on spending the extra $20 for the better model.

williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 52
    I currently have two current 4Ks, one original 4K and a 3 in a tertiary bedroom. I think I am going to finally retire the ATV 3, shift the oldest 4K to that bedroom and pick up a brand new model for the living room.

Just noticed that the new ATV does not include the cable to charge the remote. So need to add another $19 for a new cable.
    edited October 2022 starof80kiehtanwatto_cobracurtis hannah
  • Reply 16 of 52
    With games not being popular on AppleTV, the Apple TV app and sharing of your device being available on many Smart TV’s, what is the appeal of this product today? 
    Is it for people with old televisions?
    williamlondonstarof80Alex1N
  • Reply 17 of 52
    I've been waiting for Apple to support Plex Server onboard, given that the combination of A15 Bionic chip and OS is more than capable, as well as a USB-C connection for fast local storage. This should be replacing my legacy Mac used as a media-hub, but I guess I'll still be waiting when my new Macbook Pro replaces it in a few years times.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 52
    I have the first gen 4K model and really don’t plan to upgrade. Yes Thread and Matter is nice, but the A10X is still a beast. I don’t really game on it so the bigger storage doesn’t matter to me that much. I have a HomePod Mini that I can use for Thread.
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 52
    With games not being popular on AppleTV, the Apple TV app and sharing of your device being available on many Smart TV’s, what is the appeal of this product today? 
    Is it for people with old televisions?

Easy-to-use interface that is consistent throughout multiple TVs in the house.
    Best-in-class picture quality - Noticeably better 4K performance and scale-up from HD than any built-in apps and cheap streaming devices.
    Hub capability for a HomeKit - focused smart home. Cameras on the TV, control etc.

williamlondonCheeseFreezegregoriusmAlex1Nwatto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 20 of 52
    starof80 said:
    I have the first gen 4K model and really don’t plan to upgrade. Yes Thread and Matter is nice, but the A10X is still a beast. I don’t really game on it so the bigger storage doesn’t matter to me that much. I have a HomePod Mini that I can use for Thread.

The more Thread devices throughout the home, the more reliable the network.
    watto_cobrasuddenly newtondocno42