Apple reveals iPadOS 16.1 coming October 24

Posted:
in iPad
In its announcements of the new iPad and iPad Pro models, Apple has also specified that iPadOS 16.1 will be available just ahead of the devices' October 26 release date.

Apple has previously only confirmed that iPadOS 16 was delayed, that the first release would in fact be iPadOS 16.1, and that it would be coming in October. Now it's revealed the specific date that the OS will be available to download.

"iPadOS 16, the powerful operating system designed specifically for iPad, is available beginning Monday, October 24, and ships for free with the new iPad," says Apple. "iPadOS 16 will be available as a free software update for iPad (5th generation and later), iPad mini (5th generation and later), iPad Air (3rd generation and later), and all iPad Pro models."

Apple announcements refer only to iPadOS 16, not even mentioning that it will be iPadOS 16.1. But the company does stress how the update offers particular features that it suggests the new iPads will particularly suited for.

They include iCloud Shared Photo Library and Mail updates for the iPad, and Stage Manager for the iPad Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Well, rats, I was really hoping the new ipadOS would be out today. 
    edited October 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    DAalseth said:
    Ditto. 😕 

Six more days it is.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    One of the best new OS features over the past few years was Notes.  I use it everyday and each iteration gets better, especially on an iPad with a pencil    the one new feature of OS 16 that I've been looking for is Freeform, as announced at WWDC.   The new iPad/iPad Pro video put out by Apple this morning showed Freeform, but I haven't seen it in any of the betas.  Hopefully it will make its surprise appearance with 16.1 (although I doubt it as it hasn't yet shown up).
    DAalsethsagan_studentwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    emoeller said:
    One of the best new OS features over the past few years was Notes.  I use it everyday and each iteration gets better, especially on an iPad with a pencil    the one new feature of OS 16 that I've been looking for is Freeform, as announced at WWDC.   The new iPad/iPad Pro video put out by Apple this morning showed Freeform, but I haven't seen it in any of the betas.  Hopefully it will make its surprise appearance with 16.1 (although I doubt it as it hasn't yet shown up).
    Agreed about Notes. I use it all the time, from grocery lists, to sketches, to first drafts of stories and letters. It really is great. Can’t see any need to go with another notes app. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Unfortunately, this actually IS iPad OS 16 and NOT iPad OS 16.1. In reading through the page I noticed that it says support for external monitors is coming later this year. Hopefully Apple Insider's author will add an appropriate update to this story. I am disappointed that external monitor support is still not ready for release....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    DAalseth said:
    My understanding is that the development of iPadOS 16 has been particularly rocky. While no piece of software is bug free, many beta testers have noted a lot of problems with this year's iPadOS.

Now if iPadOS was available to download today, that would imply one week less development and time to fix bugs.

Do you think iPadOS 16 is at the point where software QA issues aren't on the front burner?

Personally I think Apple's software QA quality has plummeted in recent years and have stopped installing new versions upon release. I won't upgrade to iOS 16 until April 2023. My iPad mini will also stay on version 15 until April 2023. My Mac mini 2018 is on macOS Monterey and won't be upgraded to Ventura, again in April 2023.

I skipped Crapalina completely, jumping straight from Big Sur to Monterey in April this year.
    edited October 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 10
    DAalseth said:
    iPad OS 16.1 Release Candidate came out today for developers and public beta testers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    DAalseth said:
    iPad OS 16.1 Release Candidate came out today for developers and public beta testers. 
    Which is great, but I don’t play with beta software any more. I just want my systems to work. 
    mpantone said:
    DAalseth said:
    Do you think iPadOS 16 is at the point where software QA issues aren't on the front burner?
    I don’t know. It is a big update and there have been reports of development issues. I usually jump as soon as an update is out, and I haven’t really run into any problems even when the web is gnashing its teeth over something or other. That said I might wait a few days to see how it’s shaking out. Or I might not. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Unfortunately, this actually IS iPad OS 16 and NOT iPad OS 16.1. In reading through the page I noticed that it says support for external monitors is coming later this year. Hopefully Apple Insider's author will add an appropriate update to this story. I am disappointed that external monitor support is still not ready for release....
    No, it's 16.1. Where the Apple announcement refers to it as "16" they're just using the major version for simplicity.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    DAalseth said:
    That said I might wait a few days to see how it’s shaking out. Or I might not. 

My understanding (at least from years ago) is that Apple stops signing the older iPadOS/iOS version about a week after the new one releases and going back is impossible after that. Of course, there might be some trick way to work around this but I have no knowledge of this. Waiting a few days before installing would shorten your trial window.

It's easier to revert back to an older version of macOS since Apple doesn't use version signatures to prevent installation of previous versions.
    edited October 2022 DAalseth