Analyst claims OLED is coming to iPad Pro in 2024

Posted:
in iPad
Display analyst Ross Young correctly predicted that the 2022 11-inch iPad Pro update would lack mini LED backlighting, and now says both it and the 12.9-inch model will get OLED in two years.

Days before Apple's launch of the new iPad Pro models, Young reiterated his belief that rumors the 11-inch model would get the same mini LED backlight as the 12.9 version were wrong. "Not gonna happen," he said.

Now he's taken to Twitter to reveal his prediction for what Apple will do next.

Sorry that I was right about the displays not changing on the new iPad Prosflex:) 2024 we will see OLEDs on both

-- Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

Mini LED gives screens the ability to tune the amount of back lighting on any part of the screen. It means that it can produce darker blacks through selectively dimming its mini LEDs where necessary, for instance.

OLED is also able to produce higher-quality image displays, but it can do so with substantially thinner screens. Apple used OLED first on the Apple Watch, before moving to it on the iPhone line with the iPhone X.

Young had said before that the 11-inch model would fail to see a mini LED update in 2022. In March 2022, he hypothesized that Apple was holding back mini LED backlighting from that device because it was proving to be a decisive differentiator that drove sales of the more expensive 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Yeah, yeah, they claim a lot of things.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Man, I was hoping for the next best thing in microLED…..guess that tech is still years away in being in the market place.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    Man, I was hoping for the next best thing in microLED…..guess that tech is still years away in being in the market place.
    I think it’s closer than you think/hope. It’s moving very quickly. Professional grade microLED panels are getting smaller and smaller pitches every year (few months). I believe microLED could supplant OLED in 5 years. “Could” being the operative word here because it would kill OLED production and investments. So it may be longer to artificially keep OLED viable.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Same. the concept behind microLED sounds appealing and makes a better investment as it doesn't burn in or degrade like OLED and can emit more light than OLED can. 
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    DAalseth said:
    Yeah, yeah, they claim a lot of things.
    It's easy to dismiss ANALyst predictions since they are usually wrong: even the most accurate ones don't bat .500.

However there are a 2-3 analysts who have a considerably better track record than their peers and Ross Young is one of them, at least when he speaks about display technology. When Ross stays in his lane (which is most of the time), he's worth listening to.

Ming is another with a pretty good track record although he covers a wider range of topics.
    edited October 2022 muthuk_vanalingam