Life simulator 'The Sims 4' is now free on Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited October 2022
Almost eight years after the game launched on macOS, life simulator The Sims 4 is now free for all, as of October 18.

Sims 4 plumbob
Sims 4 plumbob

The base game is available to all new players to download on Windows via the EA app or Origin, Mac via Origin, Steam, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X and Series S, and Xbox One.

Electronic Arts recently made the announcement and hosted a special edition stream called Behind The Sims Summit on Tuesday. Viewers can find the stream on The Sims YouTube and Twitch channels.

EA Play and EA Play Pro members can receive an upgraded experience with member-only bundles of The Sims 4 in The Play List.

From September 14 through October 17, all players who have purchased The Sims 4 base game received the Desert Luxe Kit as a gift. Desert Luxe contains new build items such as a couch, fireplace, curtains, and more inspired by the landscape of the Southwestern desert and materials such as stone and wood.

Desert Luxe Kit
Desert Luxe Kit

The Sims is arguably the most popular game for life simulators. Like previous titles in the series, The Sims 4 allows players to create and dress characters called Sims, build and furnish houses for them, and simulate their lives.

Minimum System Requirements

The game has been around for a long time, and most any modern Mac will handle the game. But EA says the minimum system requirements for Mac users are:

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better.

• Memory: At least 4GB.

• Hard Drive: At least 15 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games.

• Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560 or better.

• Input: Keyboard and mouse.

Recommended Requirements

• CPU: Intel Core i5 or better
  • Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560 or better
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Hard Drive: 18GB of free space
Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    Since it's free, why won't they make it available on the macOS app store? If they did, I would try it.
    PatchyThePirateV.3watto_cobraTRAG
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Since it's free, why won't they make it available on the macOS app store? If they did, I would try it.
    The Sims is one of EA's top 'live service' games ( https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/the-sims-4-earned-over-1-billion-dollars/zb7c1 ). This is the same revenue model as most iOS games where the base game is free but the money is made from IAPs/DLCs. On the App Store, those IAPs will also have a 30% fee. I imagine the DLCs on Steam do too and the Mac version doesn't appear to be on Steam either so I'd guess they want to make as much profit as possible from the Mac version and only host it on their own store to avoid all fees.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222670/The_Sims_4/

The best Apple could do is have an App Store page with an external link to the game similar to how the Apple TV app recommends movie content in apps like Netflix/Disney+. Then they could allow adding a 3rd party game to be managed in the App Store app like Steam.
    scstrrfmuthuk_vanalingamdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Weird, because via Steam, it says it's Windows only.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Weird, because via Steam, it says it's Windows only.

Looks like it's only free-to-claim on the Origin Launcher for Mac. Steam and Epic Games Store are showing it as paid still for me.

edited October 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    It is great news for mac users.